Repeated failures

Options
I have had numerous repeated failures trying to lose weight until I started using MyFitnessPal faithfully. I began using this application on Jan. 18, 2015. Since that time, 30 days, I have lost 26 lbs by understanding what I am eating and eliminating excess calories. I never realized how many calories I was taking in from the beverages I was drinking or the slightly oversized portions that I was eating. I have 3x the energy and stamina and I owe much of my success to this program!!

My goal is to lose 72 lbs by July 2015, and an ultimate goal of 112 lbs before and keep it off.
This weight loss would put me back at my weight when I was 18 years old!

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Almost a pound per day for a month!! Scary.

72 pounds in 6.5 months? ! ? ! ? !

MFP works great but my personal opinion is that is too much weight loss in that time.
  • jglovicz
    jglovicz Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the weight loss! You don't state your starting weight so it's really hard to say if that's "too much" to lose in such a short time period. Just make sure you are fueling your body. Since you said you have a lot more energy than before, I'm inclined to think that you're probably eating what you should. Great start and good luck!
    72 pounds in 6.5 months is between 2 and 3 pounds per week...that doesn't seem unhealthy. To be fair, we don't know the starting weight, but if the OP has 72 pounds to lose, losing that much in a week surely isn't unsafe. (And as a side thought, the OP said she cut out soda...if she was drinking 2-3 bottles of soda per day, that's 1 pound per week without any other modifications. Choosing slightly smaller portion sizes, making better food choices, and adding exercise would surely add up to an additional 1-2 pounds per week).
  • smkondy
    smkondy Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Congrats. ... MFP is all that worked for me...just hit goal a week ago....lost 194 to date..best wishes!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Excellent progress.
  • nolookingback80
    nolookingback80 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Did u do any exercise to lose weight?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    DrB450 wrote: »
    I have had numerous repeated failures trying to lose weight until I started using MyFitnessPal faithfully. I began using this application on Jan. 18, 2015. Since that time, 30 days, I have lost 26 lbs by understanding what I am eating and eliminating excess calories. I never realized how many calories I was taking in from the beverages I was drinking or the slightly oversized portions that I was eating. I have 3x the energy and stamina and I owe much of my success to this program!!

My goal is to lose 72 lbs by July 2015, and an ultimate goal of 112 lbs before and keep it off.
    This weight loss would put me back at my weight when I was 18 years old!

That drives home the point how MFP can make us aware of what we are consuming so we can adjust what and how much we eat. Keep up the good work.

• Marlene1667
    Marlene1667 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Great work! That is a lot of weight in a short amount of time. Congratulations
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!! MFP works, if we use it. I am on again off again person with this ... I know what to do I just don't keep doing it. I did like you and set a specific goal...mine was to loose 5.6LBS every 5 weeks then I used my meal planner and exercise planner on MFP to plan out my days. I have recently went through a tough time of getting off track by my MFP friends has helped a lot. One of them recently posted about how frustrated she gets when others will not listen to her advice and how since "it's all math" it should not be complicated, something just clicked.... a light bulb came on and I thought about that statement... It's all math and it IS within our control!!!!! You have a great plan and it sounds like you are very motivated, congrats on your weight loss so far. You have totally got this!!!
  • Valrotha
    Valrotha Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Cheers on your success! Be patient and keep it up!
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • Cassie_DE
    Cassie_DE Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I do want to warn you that you may find your weight loss slows down after the initial big 'rush' of water weight loss, as explained in this MFP article: https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-whats-the-best-carb-protein-and-fat-breakdown-for-weight-loss/
    Plateaus are also common, and may simply be a matter of hormones. What I'm saying is that if you don't manage to hit those numbers when you expect to, don't sweat it too much =)
  • DrB450
    DrB450 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for all the support. Day 47 of logging in and still going strong. The weight loss has slowed, but down 27# so far.
    I am aware of the plateaus and have been adjusting my exercises to try and break them. The loss of 3# per week will put me at goal, but the most important thing is I feel better, have more energy, and I am eating healthier, and continue to work toward my ultimate goal ! It is a behavioral change for the better, thanks in part to MFP.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!