New to Yoga

Options
Anyone have any tips on getting into yoga? I really want to get into it but I'm not sure where I should start. So if any of you have any ideas that would help me big time. Please and thank you!

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,787 Member
    Options
    I would try a few classes in your area. Most places offer the first class free.
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 30 days of yoga with Adriene on you tube as I've never done it before and I'm enjoying it, it's and easy introduction and I can do it at home and it's free. Some days I do 2 sessions so I'm doing 30-40 mins 5-6 days a week.
  • pecanbeth1
    pecanbeth1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    www.doyogawithme.com

Great site with free videos, many good for beginner. In the comfort of your own home.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    pecanbeth1 wrote: »
    www.doyogawithme.com

Great site with free videos, many good for beginner. In the comfort of your own home.
    This is the website I was about to recommend.
    You could also go to a studio, many have introductory passes so you can try it out and see what classes are like.
  • Punnina
    Options
    www.yogaglo.com is a great site. You have a free trial and then for $15 a month have access to some of the best yoga teachers in California. All levels and styles. You can also search for specific times of the day or personalize for your own taste. I just started yoga myself and my yoga teacher told me about this website that she uses for herself. I really like it and also love that t also has meditation. Good luck to you!!! I always try to remember that yoga is for everyone and it is your own personal journey. It helps me to not look at others but inside myself.

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Going to second Yoga with Adriene. And if you've truly never done yoga before, start with Yoga for Complete Beginners, then Yoga for Beginners, then her 30 Day thing. This is mostly just because she'll give some really great instruction for some of the common poses.

I came back to yoga about mid-January and started (and recently completed) her 30 day thing and I'm feeling a lot stronger and already a lot more flexible!

My best tips: Start a daily practice. I had been doing yoga off and on for years, but usually longer sessions every other day or so. Doing the 30 day thing, I made more progress in my flexibility than I ever have, I am sleeping better, etc, and I credit that to the "some every day" even if it's just a bit style.

Remember that the poses are not about nailing a shape. Form is important because it helps you improve and stay safe. But the actual shape your body makes is just your body -- don't push it, don't be unkind to it. It's all about the journey and the progress. So if it takes 6 months of daily downward dog before your heels touch the ground then it does. Don't try to shove them down, and don't feel like you're doing it "wrong" or failing (you aren't).
  • WeirdnessLeveMe
    WeirdnessLeveMe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone I think I'll start with Adriene on YouTube then work my way up.