Plyometrics anyone? Calories burned?

Options
remaho80
remaho80 Posts: 126 Member
Hey there! I'm just curious if anyone does these? I have the Xbox 360 w/Kinect and use the Your Shape fitness game. I did a 15 minute plyometric workout last night and I swear I sweat more in those 15 minutes than I do in 45 minutes on the elliptical! I don't sweat a whole lot anyway, so I was a little surprised. The game calculates calories burned and it told me I only burned 42. I have a hard time believing that I burned SO little with the amount of sweat produced! If any of you are familiar with plyometrics, does this seem like a reasonable calorie burn? I think I just really need a HRM. Gotta scrounge up some $$$ for that! Any which way, I plan on doing this workout at least 5 days a week because I felt great afterwards! :smile:

Replies

• Moonblood
    Moonblood Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    For me, an hour of Plyo burns about 500 cals (P90X Plyo)
  • N_BEAST_MODE_24_7
    N_BEAST_MODE_24_7 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I did P90X plyometrics today, I burned 1095 calories in 60 mins....
  • Jenhal71
    Jenhal71 Posts: 10
    Options
    I do the P90X version of plyo, it's definitely an intense workout!!! I hear you can burn upwards of 1000 calories/hr. To figure out my calorie burn I went to healthdiscovery.net and used the calorie burn calculator to figure out how much I burn. It doesn't list plyo, but I just used "aerobics, step, intense" catagory. Check it out.
  • twins372
    twins372 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi! I'm an ISSA certified fitness trainer and I LOVE plyometrics! Plyometrics is jump training and its a ridiculous calorie burner. Yes, you should have burned way more calories in 15 minutes. But it also depends on if you did it continuously. I know that even 30 seconds of an exercise is killing me so it may say only 42 calories but you did not continuously do the exercise as long as was expected. I hope this helps.

As for your HRM, you can calculate your Target Heart Rate and then just time it for a minute to see if you are in your zone during the workout.

I hope this information helps you out! Good luck! Oh, and do not do plyometrics everyday. Your muscles need at least 24-48 hours to recover. You can substitute for your cardio 3 days a week with a day in between those three days.
  • remaho80
    Options
    To figure out my calorie burn I went to healthdiscovery.net and used the calorie burn calculator to figure out how much I burn. It doesn't list plyo, but I just used "aerobics, step, intense" catagory. Check it out.

Thanks! That definitely gave me a better idea of how many calories I burned!
  • remaho80
    Options
    Hi! I'm an ISSA certified fitness trainer and I LOVE plyometrics! Plyometrics is jump training and its a ridiculous calorie burner. Yes, you should have burned way more calories in 15 minutes. But it also depends on if you did it continuously. I know that even 30 seconds of an exercise is killing me so it may say only 42 calories but you did not continuously do the exercise as long as was expected. I hope this helps.

As for your HRM, you can calculate your Target Heart Rate and then just time it for a minute to see if you are in your zone during the workout.

I hope this information helps you out! Good luck! Oh, and do not do plyometrics everyday. Your muscles need at least 24-48 hours to recover. You can substitute for your cardio 3 days a week with a day in between those three days.

There's only a slight pause from one exercise to the next, so I'm positive I burned more than 42 calories! I just don't think the game calculates calories for this exercise as well as it does other exercises.

Do you think it would be okay to do 2 of these 15 minute workouts back to back every other day?
  • twins372
    twins372 Posts: 3
    Options
    Yes! Your 30 minutes of plyo every other day would just replace your cardio and be much more intense than regular cardio, so yes, absolutely!
  • alecia233
    alecia233 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am doing jill coleman's plyometrics workout which is only 12 minutes long. I know that calories burned all depends on weight, height, etc. but does anyone know a ball park amount of calories burned for a 12 minute plyometrics workout with only 10 seconds of rest between each interval? Thanks!!
  • whyldebear
    whyldebear Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    im doing P90X plyo how do i work out the calories like you have