What is your weekly weight loss goal?

Options

Replies

• llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Well, my current goal is to lose 3+ lbs a week.
  • Rashanti1
    Rashanti1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    2 pounds a week is maintainable, safe, and effective. It's all about what works for the individual and what goals they have. I have my weekly weight loss goal set to 2 pounds a week. My overall goal is to get into the military. I want to be enlisted by May and I'm well on my way to doing that.

Yes, there are more calories to work with on a smaller weekly weight loss goal, but I don't think it would've made a difference for me as I've learned a lot about cleaning up my diet and my hunger is always left satisfied with the calorie deficit I currently have (and there are times where I have 150 to 200 calories left to spare even without exercise).

Different strokes for different folks!! :)
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    1lb per week, but I'm cool with .5lbs too.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 1 kg a week or 2 pounds. I don't find the amount of food too little. If anything I find it difficult to eat enough.

I eat 3 meals, I'm not starving and I look at my phone and it says I'm at 5000kj of 7000 and I'm like hmm what should I now force my self to eat?

If I was losing .5 a week on average I would find it torture. In stead of looking at months to get to a good weight I would be looking at years.
  • Mech9
    Mech9 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10", and I started off losing 5 lbs a month several months ago. Now my goal is 2lbs per week. That will change the closer to my goal weight I get. Right now I'm at a weight where I have health problems from the weight itself that exacerbate my medical conditions. Keeping the weight on longer could actually cause more problems for me.

Right now I'm eating 1,600 cals a day, and that's not too far off from my maintenance calories after I've reached my goal weight (est. 1,750). This is a lifetime commitment for me, and the sooner I make the change to eating less and moving more, the easier it will be for me in the long run.

I want to be around for a long time, to sleep soundly, to be able to exist without chest pain. 2 lbs a week is a healthy, albeit aggressive, weight loss regimen that is necessary for my longevity.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Aye Aye

I'm with you. I have my weight loss goals set low and realistic and with those goals, I have lost over 90 pounds (I still have 30 to go). It's taken 3 years to do it, but I enjoy my life and I'm learning a whole lot of skills to hopefully KEEP the weight off for the rest of my life instead of yo-yoing like I always did in the past.

Thank you! You make me feel less crazy. I've also yo-yoed in the past, and I know myself. I'm lazy. If it isn't easy for me to maintain, I'm not going to do it in the long run. Yes, I enjoy going out and walking or lifting weights on exercise days, but if it wasn't for my job, I'd probably spend the rest of my time hanging at home reading a book instead of moving around. I feel like I've learned a lot more this time around rather than cutting my diet so drastically and then ending up frustrated and hangry because I didn't eat enough.

I completely agree with this!
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    projectsix wrote: »
    To put things in perspective, you could achieve your goal weight in 3 months at 2 lbs a week where it would take you a full year of dieting @ .5 lbs. This is obviously just a random time frame but when you really think about it, do you want to diet for 3-4 times as long? I prefer to get it done as quick as possible. Either way there's going to be sacrifices I personally just go all in!

Not the OP, but I have mine set to 1 lb a week (I'm averaging about 2 lb/week though), which is just about a year and a half to reach my goal. I find it easier to deal with a less strenuous long-term goal than a strenuous shorter-term goal. There are going to be sacrifices whether I'm eating to lose or eating at maintenance (because I'm not going to fit in everything I want to eat all the time at maintenance), so I'd rather make the sacrifices bearable.
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    0.5 if I can but a loss is a loss
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    yomikeya wrote: »
    When I was in weight loss mode I aimed for "lose two during the week, gain one back during the weekend."

This is actually one of the most useful things I've read...

• leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    mines just been changed to a 1lb a week- i found that i was forced to exercise to gain more calories on 1.5lbs so im now comfortable with my allowance moving it to 1lb a week
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    A pound and a little....

But I would take 3 pounds a month.

These last 10 pounds are fighting me hard!!!!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    0 .. my weekly weight loss goal is 0

:bigsmile:

but I did start off at 2lbs a week, then thought after 6 weeks .. "Yeah no" and went to 1.5lbs then 1lb then 0.5lb .. and then maintenance
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm on 0.5 p per week, but its more sometimes, since I sometimes don't eat my exercise calories back...
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    do people find that there actually losing the said 1lb, 0.5ls per week, or losing more sometimes? less?
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to lose anything really. I *think* my goal on here is set to 1lb a week, but I manually changed my calories because 1390 is not enough for me. I try to stick to 1500 now and lose whatever that works out as, as long as the number is smaller than last week I'm happy!
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I just changed it to 1.5 lbs/week simply because I have a bunch to lose and I honestly felt like I could drop down, calorie-wise, without feeling hungry. I'll adjust it after I've lost a few pounds.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    My goal is set to 1 lb per week on MFP and 1.5 on Fitbit. This gives me a range to try and fall in. That said, I don't mind eating over as long as I don't end up eating more calories than my Fitbit says I burned several days in a row.

I have about 4 lbs I'd like to lose before I change my goals. Then I'm going to aim for 0.5-1 lb per week for 6 to 8 weeks and then transition it to 0 - 0.5 for another 6 to 8 wks before finally moving to maintain.
    do people find that there actually losing the said 1lb, 0.5ls per week, or losing more sometimes? less?

I did for awhile. I've pretty much always had my set for 1 lb per week. I've been using a Fitbit almost as long as I've been on MFP. When I used the Flex and Zip models, ate all my adjustment calories (sometimes even a bit more) and I was losing 1.5-2 lbs per week even though MFP was set at 1 lb per week. I have the surge now and it's a lot closer to my actual calorie burn, so when I eat the full adjustment I about 1 lb per week and if I go for falling in my range, I lose about 1.3 lbs per week.

• kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Now that I only have a few more pounds to lose I have it set to eating around 1700 calories Sat., Sun., Tues., Wed., Fri. & Sat. & my days off on Mon. & Thurs. I'll eat around 2300 & that will net me for the week around 13100 give or take.

• YolliB2014
    YolliB2014 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on the slow rate of loss too. I do fluctuate between .5 and 1# every so often depending on how motivated I am. Losing it slowly like this feels comfortable and because of Chronic Illness my doctor has told me to lose all my weight, without putting any stress on my body. Wish I would have done it this way years ago when I was following every new diet trend that happened to be at the moment.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at 1.5 lbs a week, but regardless if I set it at 1, 1.5, or 2 lbs, I only get 1200 calls a day, due to my height, age and sedentary lifestyle. I'm just happy to see any losses on the scale, which doesn't happen each week.