Breakfast & Morning Exercise

Options
kel7298
kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
Here's the routine. I get up @ 6, drink a cup of coffee w/cream, workout from @6:30 for 35-45 minutes, get dressed, then grab something (usually fruit) as I am walking out the door @ 8. I have read that you should eat something 30-60 min prior to working out. As you see I don't do that (cept for the cream in my coffee) . Am I hurting more than helping by doing it this way?

Replies

• RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    BREAKFAST IS THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO, WITH THAT SAID, LOL, I DON'T EAT BREAKFAST!!!!!! I KNOW IF I DID, THINGS WOULD PROBABLY MOVE A LITTLE FASTER, I WOULD HAVE MORE ENERGY, BUT I CAN'T EAT THAT EARLY!!!!!! YOU SHOULD EAT BREAKFAST!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL, RED
  • NAMsMommy
    NAMsMommy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I can't eat before working out, I get up at 5am and it isn't happening! lol. But I do eat after =)
  • kel7298
    Options
    What kind of things do you eat after? Should I be eating protein instead of just fruit?
  • llovegrove
    llovegrove Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I normally have a protein shake after I work out in the morning while I am getting ready for work. Then since its normally 530-6am when I aahve that, I end up having my normal breakfasr (oatmeal or cereal with Silk Light) a couple hours after that.
  • kel7298
    Options
    "If weight loss is a goal, it is most advantageous to eat after exercising. The reason is that if you have not eaten recently, you are most likely to utilize stored energy during the exercise session rather than the food you just consumed."

Sounds reasonable to me...
  • michelec64
    michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Since I have to get ready and be out the door for work right after I finish my workout, I don't have anything to eat until about 4 hours after I get up. I will have a glass of water before and after the workout though.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I think your fine. Most people (including myself) seem to get sick to their stomach if they eat before. It looks like your limited on time, but having a bit of protein probably wouldn't be a bad idea after working out. (maybe check out the microwaving eggs thread lol)
  • kel7298
    Options
    microwave eggs??? Interesting..ha!

Yea, I think I am going to stick with more carbs (fruits) on my cardio days (3 x week), then add more protein on my strength days (2 x week).
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Here is an article that I just came across on this subject:
    http://www.eatingwell.com/blogs/diet/_breakfast-before-after-exercisewhich-torches-fat
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    don't really need to eat before working out.
    Just make sure to eat after. High protein, and good amount of carbs. high fat is not optimal but eh...not really an impairing factor.

EX:
    1-2 packets of Kashi Go Lean Hot Cereal(water) (or cold .75 cup w/ 8oz milk)
    2 eggs (or) Chicken (or) steak (or) ham (or) other lean(ish) protein source.

That being said, if you look at my diary. i generally eat 100g+ protein within an hour of working out, and about equal amounts carbs. But my fat content for the day is still less than 40g.
  • eurynome
    eurynome Posts: 2
    Options
    I read (forgot where) that it is actually better to eat after you work out because thats when your body its trying to build up more nutrients for itself..... since you lost some while working out...... I think as long as you eat in the morning you'll fell better during the day and you will also have a better chance at keeping that weight off. as for eating BEFORE working out... i dont think thats a good idea.... a full tummy + jumping/running or whatever will upset your tummy....
  • healthekate
    healthekate Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before my morning workout unless I feel like I need the energy, in which case I have a small piece of fruit to get me through it. However, the most important thing is to feed your body after the workout, and a piece of fruit isn't enough. You have to get protein in your body, and adding a simple carb (like a banana) is important as well. If you don't have time to prepare something, go for a protein shake, and maybe blend it with a banana or some berries. YUM! Your body will thank you; your muscles will thank you.
  • kel7298
    Options
    Awesome! This morning was yogurt, blackberries and sprinkled with lowfat granola...not to bad eh!