And the cravings come again...

Options
So this is the second time in a week the i binged AFTER eating dinner on sweets. I really can't help it! its not like i binge on cake, or brownies, but it's probably just as worse. i had a few slim fast snack bars, and a luna bar. Ugh this is the second time in six days. Is this whole binge telling me something about my diet or what? I feel so bad afterward and i just can't help it mentally. I even tried to add in extra foods earlier if you look at my diary from today and yesterday. help me.... :cry: suggestions maybe?:frown:

Replies

• mjb123
    mjb123 Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm the same way! The only thing that helps me is....KEEP EVERYTHING YOU BINGE ON OUT OF THE HOUSE!
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I think it might be your body telling you it needs more calories. I found that at 200lbs, 1200 wasn't enough for me. I was miserable all the time, and I would have HORRIBLE cravings. I kicked up my calories to 1600ish, and I felt SO much better. While 2lbs a week would be nice, for me being hungry and cranky all the time wasn't a price I was willing to pay. Take care!
  • segill
    segill Posts: 6
    Options
    I know, it seems cyclical. Try drinking a big glass of water then walking. Then have a small square of dark chocolate??
  • EatDrinkandbeSkinny
    EatDrinkandbeSkinny Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It might be that the bars aren't satisfying your cravings, or whatever your eating isn't filling enough. Its not enough to watch calories you should really figure out how your body reacts to certain foods. Do Yogurts fill you up enough or not? Nuts, Bananas, usually help to fill me up. I also try to eat greek yogurt like chobani because its got lots of protein and fruits.

I've never had any luck with snack bars. They always leave me wanting more food. I could eat a whole box before I felt satisfied. Also drink 8 ounces of water every time your hungry and see if that helps. A lot of the time our body is saying thirsty but we feed it instead. Try a handfull of nuts and 8 oz of water..and then if you feel like you need more eat something else.
  • icechick77
    icechick77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I heard from my sister in law that a pinch of Himalaya salt will kill cravings like that. She just dips her finger in it and licks it (sounds silly) but she swears it kills all sugar cravings. I actually have it on my grocery list for tomorrow
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    It might be that the bars aren't satisfying your cravings, or whatever your eating isn't filling enough. Its not enough to watch calories you should really figure out how your body reacts to certain foods.

I've discovered that if I'm craving something, it's better to eat a small amount of what I'm craving than try to substitute something else. So if you're craving chocolate, have a small amount (dark is best) and eat it slowly so you get to enjoy it longer. If you're craving something salty, a few triscuit crackers might do the trick (again, eat slowly and savor). Or whatever it is you're craving, a bit of that might prevent an overboard on something else.

I also agree that you may not be getting enough calories. Maybe scale down your weekly goal a bit and see how it goes (ie, try for 1 lb a week instead of 2 ... I didn't look at your goals, so I don't know if I'm off in left field or not, sorry)
  • Nharah
    Nharah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It looks like ( I took a peek at your food) you were short 19 grams of protein. So you only ate 4/5th or 80% of your "allowed/recommended" amount.

Might want to take a look at the last time you binged and see if you were short on protein that day as well.

Good luck!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Looking at your food diary for yesterday it does not seem as if you eat / chew much......personally I would not be able to survive if I was not "grazing" the whole day.....

I also agree with nharah - look at upping your protein - and not another shake.... some cottage cheese, yoghurt or even some meat, fish or chicken....

If you have a look at my diary you will see the difference - and also see that I always eat more than my protein % - that is what keeps me on track - and touch wood - very few cravings / binges...
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Your choices (for the past 4 days at least) seem really really good. I'm guessing you're being too aggressive on your loss goals. If you are set on max loss (2lbs a week I think it is) try reducing by half a pound increments until you get down to 1 lb and see if the calories it gives you back are enough to stop the binging. Make sure you give each adjustment about 4-5 days to see how you feel. This way you can feed your body and still lose weight rather than beat yourself up for going over your calories.

I was going to suggest increasing your protein until I looked at your diary but that's obviously not the problem as it's excellent. Usually low protein can trigger carb cravings. I would also manually update your fiber count to a minimum of 20 per day. Your carbs seem a bit low too - 90 might not be enough to sustain your body. I realize you might be trying for low carb but if you're jumping in the deep end before you learn how to swim you're only hurting yourself. Consider a 40/40/20 Carb/Protein/Fat ratio and again give it time - make sure the carbs you're choosing are whole grains and not sugars and white processed starches. They will increase your fiber and keep you full longer. Then once you get the cravings under control, you can begin to slowly reduce the carbs down to a 20/60/40 or 30/50/20 ratio depending on your body. It's definitely trying to tell you something. Your cravings are not for candy bars and white bread and pastries like most. Even in your binging you're making smart choices. You just don't like the fact that you're so over your calories.

You can do this and NOT be hungry! Find YOUR balance and listen to YOUR body. Everyone is different and you have to try all these suggestions (preferably not at the same time) to find what or what combination will work for YOU.
    Don't give up though! We're all learning day by day.
  • pizzafruit
    pizzafruit Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    After dinner snacking is a killer. When I do that, while I'm stuffing my face, I tell myself how wrong this is, I berate myself, and tell myself that tomorrow is a new day. I don't do this during the day because I'm busy at work and don't have time to think about snacking. I've decided to drink flavored water and see if that doesn't at least cut back on the need for a sweet taste. I wish you well and know you'll conquer the craving.
  • xlpavenged7x
    Options
    Thanks you so much everyone. What everybody said i think is really going to help me. I will be making changes to my goals!
  • xlpavenged7x
    Options
    Your choices (for the past 4 days at least) seem really really good. I'm guessing you're being too aggressive on your loss goals. If you are set on max loss (2lbs a week I think it is) try reducing by half a pound increments until you get down to 1 lb and see if the calories it gives you back are enough to stop the binging. Make sure you give each adjustment about 4-5 days to see how you feel. This way you can feed your body and still lose weight rather than beat yourself up for going over your calories.

I was going to suggest increasing your protein until I looked at your diary but that's obviously not the problem as it's excellent. Usually low protein can trigger carb cravings. I would also manually update your fiber count to a minimum of 20 per day. Your carbs seem a bit low too - 90 might not be enough to sustain your body. I realize you might be trying for low carb but if you're jumping in the deep end before you learn how to swim you're only hurting yourself. Consider a 40/40/20 Carb/Protein/Fat ratio and again give it time - make sure the carbs you're choosing are whole grains and not sugars and white processed starches. They will increase your fiber and keep you full longer. Then once you get the cravings under control, you can begin to slowly reduce the carbs down to a 20/60/40 or 30/50/20 ratio depending on your body. It's definitely trying to tell you something. Your cravings are not for candy bars and white bread and pastries like most. Even in your binging you're making smart choices. You just don't like the fact that you're so over your calories.

You can do this and NOT be hungry! Find YOUR balance and listen to YOUR body. Everyone is different and you have to try all these suggestions (preferably not at the same time) to find what or what combination will work for YOU.
    Don't give up though! We're all learning day by day.

amazingly written! i have changed my goals now, and i really hope it helps me in the long run. i decided to go with the 40/40/20, it seems reasonable, and i amped up my goal for calories to burn during workout (: