Looking for more myfitnesspal friends to help encourage and support

Options
My doctor wants me to lose weight, however I have a heart condition that really limits what kinds of physical exercises I can do. I am looking for people to talk to that can give me tips on keeping my calories low and to help encourage and motivate me and I will in turn help encourage and motivate. If I manage to lose the weight it will be a huge accomplishment and may also help us discover what is wrong with my heart. Any support is welcome :smile:

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    what did your doctor suggest to lose weight?

you dont need to exercise anyway, you just need a calorie deficit.
  • autumnbns1
    Options
    he told me to keep my calories 1300 or under which I am working on, just looking for support to help keep me on track with it.
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    What Tavistock says is true. However, speak to your doctor and see what they say. I'm surprised they didnt get you in touch with a health professional to work out a program with you. A number of years ago I was really overweight and my local council and NHS doctor ran a fitness access course designed to look at particular issues for patients and tailor make work outs - if needed - maybe you have something similar? Oh and feel free to add me as a friend :-)
  • autumnbns1
    Options
    I have a limited budget and my insurance doesn't cover a whole lot so right now he's seeing if I can drop the weight on my own by counting calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    autumnbns1 wrote: »
    I have a limited budget and my insurance doesn't cover a whole lot so right now he's seeing if I can drop the weight on my own by counting calories.

you definitely can. do you have scales?
  • mrod7557
    mrod7557 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Its hard to change your eating habits. I pick the veggies and fruits I like to eat, thats how I started, and walking, if u dont a have a gym membership, just go for walks. I also cut down my portions, a lot. I eat 5x a day, but I do go to the gym more often now.
  • nats2508
    nats2508 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi! have you tried swimming? no impact and can be very gentle. Not sure if there are affordable classes where you live as you are on a budget.
    As others have said, fruit and veg will help to keep calories low with lots of lean meat and fish. I hope the doctors can help to find out what's wrong...
  • amitkalia13
    amitkalia13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi
  • FeliciaLam49
    Options
    Hey Autumnbns1! I'd love to be a part of your support system! I agree with the comments all the other people have left! I sometimes over eat but what helps me is knowing what I can indulge in. I used to think restricting my calories would be hard but when you know how to time things, it helps a lot. For example mushrooms and spinach are extremely low calorie and I usually spray some pam on my pan and heat them up. It taste really good, gives you a lot of nutrients and you can really pack them on! If you don't like that if be happy to share with you some alternatives! Also after you eat wait 20 mins because by then you should feel full. I read it takes the body 30 mins to get full. Also, chew 32 times. I know it seems annoying but when you really chew and slow down your consumption, your food actually taste better when you break it down, it's easier to digest, plus it'll take longer for you to eat and you'll get full quicker. I think walking 30 mins a day will help you a lot too!
  • autumnbns1
    Options
    I plan on getting food scales soon. I am currently signed up for Daily Burn, they have a really low impact workout plan that so far has not triggered any episodes with my heart. I have cut out soda and junk food for the most part and right now am working on garden starts for a lot of veggies, including spinach, lettuce, brussel sprouts and green beans. One thing that I am struggling with right now is timing when I should eat. I work midnight to eight every week day and I also have insomnia. I normally only sleep from 11am-4:30 pm, when I wake up I normally get to work making dinner for my husband and myself, so normally I don't have a traditional breakfast. Also, being up that long gives me cravings for munchies. Right now I am portioning out some raisins to snack on so that I can keep track of how much I eat and still satisfy the need to snack. I'll be getting veggies to replace those next payday though.
  • bmanders7
    Options
    Yoga is actually really good exercise without stressing your heart. Strengthens and tones without the high impact of some exercises. Good luck!