Protein Shakes & Weight Loss

Options
I have loosing weight for a couple of months now and about 4 weeks ago I started running 4 days a week with a mixture of before work (6am runs) and after work (6pm runs). What has amazed me is that I am actually really enjoying the running. Don't get me wrong I am not going to be running a marathon any time soon but would like to run further and pick up my pace.

As someone who has never had protein shakes before and have been told differing views on them I would like to ask on here if drinking protein shakes will hinder my weight loss?

Replies

• shaunroberts
    shaunroberts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I just treat them like any other food... Log the calories.The difference is the protein shake helps me reach my protein target easier and more cost/ calorie efficiently.

They certainly won't hider your weight loss in fact for me I found they accelerated it! Not because protein shake are some magic elixir but because they helped me recover faster therefore making my next workout more comfortable so I could push harder for longer.

I say did because this last week I have been lazy and not had any shakes. My muscles ache and my workouts have been that more challenging. Running/ training on sore muscles (not painful) takes away some of the fun lol

Shaun.
  • David2788
    David2788 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks Shaun, went and bought some of Arrnies whey protein on my lunch. Was already on fitness pal so thought would give that one a go.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    As above they're just a food. They can be over pushed by people if you're getting sufficient Protein you may not need them. It may depend on the amount of exercise your doing. So they can be useful but are not some sort of panacea.
  • QTIN
    QTIN Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    They shouldn't hinder your weight loss but like stated in other comments log it! Most protein shakes and bars are meal replacements so don't drink like 10 of them lol, but protein shakes and bars are great for muscle gain which may possibly show a slight increase in weight.
  • David2788
    David2788 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    thanks guys. I don't mind a slight increase in weight it is for muscle gain. Only going to have one a day just to increase my protein levels. I have been eating more protein in my diet recently and feel a lot better for it.