Do you do cheat days? What do you do?

Options
My husband and I both measure and weigh our food, and we count our calories. Food is still important to us and we have a cheat day each week, but we haven't fine tuned our cheat day rules just yet. (About us: Our current goals are cutting down (fat & loss) after a clean-ish bulking cycle. We both lift heavy 4 days a week and do cardio 3 of those days as well.)

How do you manage your cheat days?

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    If you feel the need for Cheat Days, you are doing it wrong.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i follow IIFYM, so i dont 'cheat'.
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Cheat day? No. Maintenance days? Yes. I'm a uni student and go home every two weeks for the weekend, during which I'm at maintenance. I don't eat considerably more, I just have dessert or the odd takeaway every few weeks. Obviously there are days, like Christmas, that I don't have calorie limits. But if I call maintenance days 'cheat days' then it feels like I shouldn't be letting myself have that day. The key is to not deprive yourself too much so that you don't NEED that cheat day. The important thing is week-long calorie goals so it doesn't affect your overall deficit too much. This is what works for me anyway.
  • djmp21
    djmp21 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    About 5 years ago I'd have cheat "days" and would binge on anything and everything - feeling *kitten* but doing it anyway.
    Best way I've found is to have a cheat meal of any kind - usually a packet of lollies with some chocolate milk. Afterwards I feel so terrible (cause you're full and it's crap food) that it puts me off for more than a week.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    An entire day? I don't do that. Do I occasionally eat a meal that has more carbs or fat than I generally would allow for a single meal, because it sounds good? Sure, a few times a week I do that.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I don't really do cheat days, but try to eat a variety, eat healthy and if I eat junky foods I work those into my calories for the day (seems like someone is always bringing in donuts at work!). Every great once in a while I might have a day where I go way over my calories (ie last Saturday I went to the Cheesecake Factory and had one of their light lunches but finished it with a 1110 calorie piece of Godiva chocolate cheesecake- yum!!). But that is a very rare treat.

I was on a diet once upon a time based on a book called Eating for Life. The diet was very simple - eat 6 small meals per day- each meal needed a fist size of carbs and a palm size of protein (and then you could add vegetable as much as you liked). Then there was one day per week where you could eat whatever and as much as you liked. I did lose weight on that, but I found it to be unsustainable, not because of low calories, but because I was too busy to stop and eat that many times per day. So what I'm doing now I feel like is sustainable long term. I just eat what I like with a slight calorie deficit and exercise for heart health and to tone muscles. When I meet goal I will slowly bring up calories to maintenance level and continue to exercise. So it's not a big switch from being on a "diet" to not. Maintenance after all is what is most difficult.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Nope. I fit the foods I love into my day.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I do a treat day once a month where I'll make food that I actually want to eat fit into my calories like a small pizza or a Blizzard from DQ.
  • nawedm
    nawedm Posts: 3
    edited February 2015
    Options
    yeah i do cheat day! cheet weekend also! lol....usually take out food i like and its so bad for me i dont have a way of putting it in my diet, or I go to a restaurant....so one or the two dinners of the weekend I spend 1500-2000 calories on a dinner alone.

btw, I do extactly the same, 4 days (sometimes 5) of gym, and 3 days a week I take my bike and I do 30-35 km in 75 mins.
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Cheat days, no.
    Less healthy meal yes.
    Once a week or so I eat a meal like fries and fried snacks, though I fit that in my caloric goals.
    Throughout the week I also eat some ice cream every now and then, or some chocolate, though again I make it fit my macro's.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I don't call it "cheating" because that implies I'm doing something wrong, or that the food I want to indulge in is somehow "bad." But I get the concept you're talking about. I do partake in treats, on a regular basis, but I work them into my goal for the day rather than planning them very far in advance... what I mean is, I don't deprive myself all week, pining for and anticipating this big glorious weekend blowout "cheat." I don't think that's a particularly healthy approach, since my goal is to make this something I can adhere to for the rest of my life (and I tend to get a little obsessive when I approach it like that - I know because that's how I did it when I started this thing). Instead I pre-log my days to meet my goals, and if I have any wiggle room left I add in treats (a brownie...or a dozen of them, if you look at my Monday diary! A serving of ice cream. Whatever). Sometimes I know we're going to be going out and I will log my desired dinner (say,a burger) first then plan the rest of my day around that to ensure that I still meet my minimum goals for the day. It's become second nature at this point.
  • PoisonIvy088
    Options
    My cheat day is on Sunday. Its the day where I eat at maintenance. And have dessert after dinner. That's it. Nothing fancy or over complicated. A cheat day for me is more about what I eat than how much. I still eat a reasonable amount, just, maybe not so reasonable food choices.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    no cheat days. i eat what i want, within my calorie allowance. i want to eat more? i earn it by more exercise.
  • frksfrau
    frksfrau Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I don't plan cheat days. However, if I am tempted for something that maybe a little high in the calorie department, I eat enough to satisfy the craving, log it, and move one.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If you feel the need for Cheat Days, you are doing it wrong.

Agree
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I used to, but had to stop because they turned into cheat weekends, then cheat weeks. It's a slippery slope, at least for me.
    Now I just make room in my day for things that would be considered "cheats" (though I don't call them that anymore). I will have a chocolate bar a couple times a week and make it fit into my calories.
    There are times when I go over my calories (birthday party, things like that)...sometimes way over my calories. I log it and move on.
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I've said it before, I'll say it again - if you log it, it's not cheating!
  • blcook23
    blcook23 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a day of "cheating". I count everything I put in my mouth even if it is bad for me on those one days I may have a gone a little overboard. Though on a Friday, which is my weigh day, the only "cheat" I do is I may substitute the wheat pasta for white pasta serving. Even if I am eating out I really look at the menu and make the good choices though that fried and greasy food looks delish I know I won't feel good after eating it because my body is no used to not having so much oil/fat/salt and what not. The thought of cheating will mean I will slip into old ways and that is why I am making the change for the good. If it is sweets what fruit can you substitute for that dessert...what good fats can you eat that will help avoid those cravings and help keep you full while drinking water. It is all in portions.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I don't "cheat," but I do eat less during the week in order to eat more on weekends and still be at my weekly calorie goal. This allows me the freedom to indulge and eat out with my husband, but it's not cheating if it's within my calorie limit. I don't go hungry all week in order to do it - eating more on weekends is what I've always done.

Hm, well, I changed my mind. I "cheat" one weekend per month. I still log, but I go over my weekly goal. It usually includes a date night. It didn't hinder or slow down my weight loss when I was losing and it hasn't resulted in any weight gain now that I'm maintaining. I don't "make up" for it the previous or following week, either. I don't need to have this weekend, but I want it, so I'm going to continue to do it.
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    No. If you "cheat" on your lifestyle, you cheat on your health. Why not incorporate what you feel like you're missing into your meal planning? I limit eating out and try to plan ahead for days when I want homemade pizza or a decadent treat. I still eat the things I enjoy, I just limit them so I don't feel deprived. This is a lifestyle not a diet.