Motivation?

Options
I must admit, I always had the wrong motivation to lose weight. Usually I would go on a crash diet for an occasion and gain the weight back on immediately after the event. That has been my weight loss routine for a few years now!
Finally, I have recognised that there is no quick fix and I need a long term plan, I'm also going to hire a personal trainer (which I have done in the past and it didn't work).
As many others, I'm always finding excuses to delay my new lifestyle: someone's birthday, wedding, lunch with friends and so on.

I would love to know how people manage to be so strong, and put themselves first?

Replies

• ctherndon
    ctherndon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is interesting. I wish I had answers
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Simple. I made my fitness and weight loss a priority. Once that was done and maintained, everything else was a process. Today, I am fit and have lost 185 pounds. I don't say it was easy and that I still don't have to force myself into the gym some days, but I do say it was simple.
  • carolynleona
    Options
    Hi my name is Carolyn I became a member mfp a years ago ,somehow I lost track of my goals with my health issues ,but am back and willing to tackle my weight loss by keeping track of my daily food and excerise . The older I get it seems the weight is harder to take off now .My kids are saying to me mom eat right we want you around along time .
  • ahewitt82
    ahewitt82 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Need motivation, feel off the Wagon with one cheat meal. Now I have not even been using my food log. Looking to lose about 20 lbs goal weight of 135. Anyone have some motivating ideas.
  • KirstyBorg
    KirstyBorg Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I get that a lot, people saying that it must be a priority and your main goal.
    But I do have the same issue of having a cheat meal and not looking at the app for a week after that.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I stopped relying on motivation to get me to my goals.

I planned my meals for the week on Sunday, and I worked out 3x a week. You have to look at it as a "must do." You wouldn't skip your shower or brushing your teeth if you were too tired, would you?
  • skinnynat1
    skinnynat1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    hello
    remember its a lifestyle change and with proper nutrition and workouts and support u can achieve your fitness goals join challenge groups get a free coach to help u stick to ur goals
  • alison259
    alison259 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Alison
    I have only been doing my fitness pal for a few weeks. Finally decided to lose some weight just for me. I know it's hard to do by yourself so i would really like some buddies to have with this and encourage them as well as get it back
  • reginamichelle1
    reginamichelle1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, was my first day back to mfp in over a year. Previously I lost the weight, got too relaxed, and gained it back. That has been my routine for years. Something has to give. As I approach 40 I feel like it is time that I make my health my priority. I would like to have a good quality of life going forward so I have to make some changes. So here I am. One day at a time I can do it. My goal is lose and keep off 40-50 pounds. I am motivated by small rewards along the journey. For example, in December 2015 my family and I are going on a cruise. I would like to buy myself a few new outfits in a much smaller size. I find that little rewards to celebrate yourself can be quite motivating. Any thoughts?
  • caron6055
    caron6055 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For me it was the diagnosis of rhumatoid arthritis, before I used the excuse that it was harder to lose weight at my age, I'm 51, and what did it really matter if I was a bit heavier as I enjoyed my food so much? Now I realise that if I didn't take some of the pressure off my joints and get a whole lot fitter, I could end up virtually disabled. I know from experience in the past that crash diets didn't work, so i set myself targets and a long term eating plan I knew I could stick to. Nothing is banned, but I try and count everything, if I go over my allowance one day I excercise more and eat a little less the next. So far it's working and I have lost 19 lbs since the 6th January, and have not yet felt deprived or even particularly hungry. You need meal plans that satisfy you but that are lower in calories. My advice, weigh regularly, count and measure everything, and look for lower cal alternatives where possible. (though I don't touch anything with artificial sweeteners in it.)
  • KirstyBorg
    KirstyBorg Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    That's so true, I noticed that if I don't have my meals planned I'll go for the fatty easy option.
    I've increased my calorie intake as it was too low and difficult.
    I'm definitely going for the slow but permanent achievements.
  • Brolivia3D
    Brolivia3D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I got tired of hating myself and hating the body I was in. I'm working on shifting the focus from "I hate how I look" to "I'm going to change myself for the better". It's hard. I've had issues with sticking with everything and keeping working out/eating well a habit. One day at a time, eh?
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here. I think it is just a matter of choices and being honest with yourself. If a cheat meal derails you then don't have one. I have an issue with sugar -- if I let it get the better of me I will be fighting it for weeks. Just don't quit -- show up every day -- and fight to stay on track.