Replies

• lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Actually I was told 6 weeks...but I know some physicians are different
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You just had a baby. Enjoy the time and worry about weight loss later.
  • annavalente
    annavalente Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I had a little look at your diary...some of your food is weighed using cups- these are never accurate and I *think* (this is just my opinion) you might be over estimating ur calories burned :-/ I use an elliptical machine and burn 300 calories per hour!

However..here in the UK and Ireland we are strongly advised to refrain from rigorous exercise until 6 weeks postpartum ...give your body time to adjust and heal and maybe you might see a movement on the scales then?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    It doesn't appear that the food entries are accurately weighed ... the workout burns appear inflated ... and there is almost no liquid intake logged at all. No water, one 12 oz Red Bull, and two entries of 1/4 cup (2 oz) of milk totals 16 total ounces of liquid intake since starting to log last week. According to that, not one single cup of coffee ... not one soft drink ... not one full glass of milk ...

What it looks like to me is a rush to start losing weight after the baby with an overly aggressive weekly goal and inaccurate logging ... the perfect storm for disappointment as a healthy rate of loss doesn't meet expectations.
  • Skinnylittlesunflower
    Options
    I had a little look at your diary...some of your food is weighed using cups- these are never accurate and I *think* (this is just my opinion) you might be over estimating ur calories burned :-/ I use an elliptical machine and burn 300 calories per hour!

However..here in the UK and Ireland we are strongly advised to refrain from rigorous exercise until 6 weeks postpartum ...give your body time to adjust and heal and maybe you might see a movement on the scales then?

My calories burned are accurate I have been using a HRM. Also how are cups not accurate? I'm confused.
  • Skinnylittlesunflower
    Options
    It doesn't appear that the food entries are accurately weighed ... the workout burns appear inflated ... and there is almost no liquid intake logged at all. No water, one 12 oz Red Bull, and two entries of 1/4 cup (2 oz) of milk totals 16 total ounces of liquid intake since starting to log last week. According to that, not one single cup of coffee ... not one soft drink ... not one full glass of milk ...

What it looks like to me is a rush to start losing weight after the baby with an overly aggressive weekly goal and inaccurate logging ... the perfect storm for disappointment as a healthy rate of loss doesn't meet expectations.

I was using the fitbit logging app for a long time and recently switched to this one. Also I always forget to log my water intake so it is inaccurate. What do you mean my workout burns appear inflated?
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Your ticker indicates that you have 35 pounds to lose. If that is true, then two pounds per week is too aggressive. With a closed diary and a lack of your basic stats, it is difficult to give informed advice.

I'm confused what you mean by its too aggressive? Can you explain? Also my stats are age 22, height 5'6. I don't know what else you'd need?

It means you want to lose too much too fast. What's wrong with, say, a half pound a week?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    You lost 2lbs/week since having a baby a few weeks ago? And now you're worried since you fluctuated back up a couple of pounds?

Dude, you just had a BABY! Your hormones are all over the place. Your body is still healing. You really need to take a step back and get more realistic.

You didn't mention if you're breastfeeding but you need to be eating WAY more calories than 1200 for that.

I know a lot of women worry about losing the baby weight, but don't you think you're being a bit hard on yourself? Give yourself a month or two, then get back into an exercise routine once you've been medically cleared.
  • Skinnylittlesunflower
    Options
    Wait. WHAT?! You can't work out a week after having a baby!! You have to wait AT LEAST A MONTH! Of course you aren't going to lose weight! Your hormones are still all over the place and your body is still healing!

I didn't start working out until last week, 4 weeks postpartum. I have been taking it easy. I have been eating clean and going on daily walks for exercise before 4 weeks postpartum.

See that doesn't make any sense to me. People keep saying my hormones after having a baby arnt letting me lose weight but what is the science behind that? I fail to understand how the two coorelate.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    graeme0201 wrote: »
    Reduce your water in take 2/3 litres as your probably holding a lot of water, to much water is just as bad for you as to much food, other then that maybe the stress of it all is preventing you losing weight? Try a variety of foods, plenty of ways to cook lean chicken, or change from chicken to a different lean meat, also long term of eating to few calories can make the body begin storing fat instead of shedding it try increasing you calories to account for your exercise, if your burning 300 calories, you should be eating at least 200 more

There are just to many factors to really determine why your not losing, depends on your body, try a few different things and you will start losing again, but best thing to do is not worry yourself so much and just try to relax a bit, get rid of that stress

More water does not equate to more water weight. In fact the opposite is true. More water intake decreases water retention. Yes, there is such a thing as water intoxication, but it requires a lot of water in a short time frame. It basically causes you electrolytes to get too diluted. It is rather rare.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    You lost 2lbs/week since having a baby a few weeks ago? And now you're worried since you fluctuated back up a couple of pounds?

Dude, you just had a BABY! Your hormones are all over the place. Your body is still healing. You really need to take a step back and get more realistic.

You didn't mention if you're breastfeeding but you need to be eating WAY more calories than 1200 for that.

I know a lot of women worry about losing the baby weight, but don't you think you're being a bit hard on yourself? Give yourself a month or two, then get back into an exercise routine once you've been medically cleared.

This! Think a little.......Take care of yourself and your new baby and stop obsessing about daily water weight changes...Even better, talk to your doctor and make sure you tell him/her about 1200 calories a day......
  • segacs
    Options
    See that doesn't make any sense to me. People keep saying my hormones after having a baby arnt letting me lose weight but what is the science behind that? I fail to understand how the two coorelate.

Okay, you know how you can often "gain" weight on the scale right before getting your period, and "lose" it afterwards? It's like that, but times a hundred.

It's not fat -- it's water weight -- and it will fluctuate due to hormones. That's normal.

You should be looking at a long-term trend, not a day-to-day fluctuation on the scale. If you lose 2 pounds one week, and 0 pounds the next week, that's an average of 1 pound per week, which is normal and doesn't mean you've hit a plateau.

You haven't mentioned whether you're breastfeeding, but dieting while breastfeeding is not generally recommended -- and going as low as 1200 calories is REALLY not recommended.
  • Skinnylittlesunflower
    Options

I'm not breastfeeding. I'll be medically cleared in 5 days but I've been listening to my body and working out to my own personal limit. I feel great after the gym and I don't feel like I'm depriving myself with my calorie limit. I'm not breastfeeding.

Maybe I am being too hard on myself. Like I said before I had kids the weight came off so much faster. I was 160lbs and started working out and eating right and dropped to 140 in a month. So to me my progress now just seems slow. I don't know. :/
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Talk to health care provider about the science behind having babies and hormone fluctuations, eat lots of real food, not quest bars and red bull,up your protein and veggie intake and relax....Your health and your babies are a lot more important than losing a bit of baby weight so fast.....
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    graeme0201 wrote: »
    Reduce your water in take 2/3 litres as your probably holding a lot of water, to much water is just as bad for you as to much food, other then that maybe the stress of it all is preventing you losing weight? Try a variety of foods, plenty of ways to cook lean chicken, or change from chicken to a different lean meat, also long term of eating to few calories can make the body begin storing fat instead of shedding it try increasing you calories to account for your exercise, if your burning 300 calories, you should be eating at least 200 more

There are just to many factors to really determine why your not losing, depends on your body, try a few different things and you will start losing again, but best thing to do is not worry yourself so much and just try to relax a bit, get rid of that stress

What? Drinking a sufficient amount of water prevents water retention..
  • blktngldhrt
    Options

I'm not breastfeeding. I'll be medically cleared in 5 days but I've been listening to my body and working out to my own personal limit. I feel great after the gym and I don't feel like I'm depriving myself with my calorie limit. I'm not breastfeeding.

Maybe I am being too hard on myself. Like I said before I had kids the weight came off so much faster. I was 160lbs and started working out and eating right and dropped to 140 in a month. So to me my progress now just seems slow. I don't know. :/

Dont be so hard on yourself. I also was able to lose weight quickly before becoming a mother. Now, it's a much longer process.
  • segacs
    edited February 2015
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    Your health and your babies are a lot more important than losing a bit of baby weight so fast.....

Yes, this is the key point here. You're a 22-year-old new mom. You're no longer the centre of your own universe. You have a tiny human who needs you to focus on putting (his? her?) needs first.

Focus on taking good enough care of yourself so that you can take care of your baby properly. That includes eating enough to keep your strength up -- whether you're breastfeeding or not, 1200 calories is not enough -- and spending more time thinking about your baby's needs than about your six-pack abs.
  • Skinnylittlesunflower
    Options

Okay, you know how you can often "gain" weight on the scale right before getting your period, and "lose" it afterwards? It's like that, but times a hundred.

It's not fat -- it's water weight -- and it will fluctuate due to hormones. That's normal.

You should be looking at a long-term trend, not a day-to-day fluctuation on the scale. If you lose 2 pounds one week, and 0 pounds the next week, that's an average of 1 pound per week, which is normal and doesn't mean you've hit a plateau.

You haven't mentioned whether you're breastfeeding, but dieting while breastfeeding is not generally recommended -- and going as low as 1200 calories is REALLY not recommended.

Thank you for for explaining a bit. And no I'm not breastfeeding.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    Talk to health care provider about the science behind having babies and hormone fluctuations, eat lots of real food, not quest bars and red bull,up your protein and veggie intake and relax....Your health and your babies are a lot more important than losing a bit of baby weight so fast.....

There's nothing wrong with Quest bars and red bull. Just get your calories in.

Make sure you're eating enough calories. Maybe calculate your TDEE and create a deficit from there. You can Google a calculator.

I also saw someone tell you your logging wasn't correct because your food was listed in cups. If you're weighing your solids and not using a measuring cup..you're fine. I weigh my food but a lot of mine are listed as cups not grams or ounces.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    If you are weighing daily or even more than once a day can play havoc on a person starting out. Step away from the scale as this can drive any person starting out insane..

You need time for your hormones to get back in check, keep exercising (do not stop) and make sure your logging is accurate (truthful logging) and do not over estimate your calorie burn when exercising. Over inflating will deplete any deficit..

Give this three to four more weeks.

Have you tried seeking out other new moms that have under gone weight loss right after having a baby to see if new moms have advice on their trials when getting off baby weight or maybe your doctor can put you in the right direction...

Just throwing some things out there...