Motivation Slipping...

Options
I started my healthy eating and exercise plan in January and amazingly lost a stone in a month! But now February has rolled around I've started to treat myself a lot more often than I should... It's so hard to stay motivated, especially at night when I find myself craving salty snacks... any advice?
Add me :blush:

Replies

• FeliciaLam49
    Options
    I have the same problem with snacking too! To me it's just best not to have any unhealthy snacks around. Find alternatives! Like the fit popcorn brand; I have some at home and they're 40 calories per cup! Or you could get kind bars are sweet and salty but keep you full but are really good for you (but kind bars aren't for everyone). Over all I snack on veggies as fruit though but those are some options. Let me know if you want more tips/support! Good luck ! (:
  • Brolivia3D
    Brolivia3D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I can tell that I snack when I'm bored. For the most part, if it's not in my house, I won't eat it, so I just don't buy junk food. Grocery shopping when you aren't hungry will help with that! Distract yourself with something else. Walk around, play with your pets if you have them, or just take a handful of whatever you're craving and then put the box/bag/whatever away!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Honestly, motivation sucks. Don't rely on motivation. It comes and goes (as you have found out).

Instead rely on habits. Focus on building habits when your motivation is high and they will help you stick to your goals when your motivation runs out.

This article may help you with your current problem of snacking. I highly recommend the book that this article is based on. It's the only "diet" book that has ever actually helped me. Boring title, great book.
    https://experiencelife.com/article/the-power-of-habit/
  • martinmcneely1
    martinmcneely1 Posts: 17 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Honestly, motivation sucks. Don't rely on motivation. It comes and goes (as you have found out).

Instead rely on habits. Focus on building habits when your motivation is high and they will help you stick to your goals when your motivation runs out.

This article may help you with your current problem of snacking. I highly recommend the book that this article is based on. It's the only "diet" book that has ever actually helped me. Boring title, great book.
    https://experiencelife.com/article/the-power-of-habit/
    Good reply, exactly what I was thinking. I train mostly on habit but do get motivation in return when I see/feel (pb's) improvements. So by having targets/goals then u give yourself some motivation without thinking about it too much.
    I also don't buy snacks etc so if I am struggling and need a nimble then I need to go out my way to get it.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Good news - your normal!! LOL I think this is a common struggle. As someone else said - it's not so much motivation, but focusing on healthy habits and things that make it easier to stay on track.

I have at my house a "snack box" that I keep things in that are about 100 calories....snack bags of pretzels, "Jif to go", protein bars. Right next to that is my dorm fridge that has yogurt, string cheese, hard boiled eggs, and water in it.

It's gotten so that both of my daughters know it's there and they've begun to use it too...it's so easy to just grab something from it and go, and it's reasonably healthy. I try not to squawk about it because if it's good for me - it's good for them...but sometimes, I do grumble to myself - HEY THAT"S MINE!!! LOL