First 5k

Options
I am signing up for my first 5k in April. I manage to go out for a run about once a week (I excercise in the early morning because I have a small one). I know I can walk/jog 5k because I did it last week. Any advice on at home workout that will help my running along since I am going so infrequently?

Replies

• JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    The only way to really get better at running is to run... Sorry :neutral_face:
    Maybe someone else has something is to offer.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    The only way to really get better at running is to run... Sorry :neutral_face:
    Maybe someone else has something is to offer.

You need to run more.
    That's really about it.

• gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yep, if you really want to run it, you'll need to get out more than once a week. A regular C25k program is about 30 minutes a day a few days a week. Is there any way you could out out just a couple of more times a week?
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    As the others have said, running is it.
    Doing some squats wouldn't hurt, that's something you can do at home as is yoga, good way to work the muscles.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Best way to get running fit is to run.

Bodyweight work or yoga would be complementary but can't substitute for running.
  • misslazo718
    misslazo718 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Download the C25K app, it's a program designed to get you from the couch to 5k. The app schedule is basically 3X a week and each week you are running for longer amounts of time.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Push the little one around in a stroller!!! Don't have to run with it but walk at a faster pace. Anything that mimics running movement will help.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I also run in the early a.m. If I had the room and the money, I would LOVE to have a treadmill.
  • LilyMammoth
    LilyMammoth Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I just started training for my first 5K too. I downloaded the C25K app. I like it so far. It slowly works you up to getting to the 5K point. It makes it seem much more attainable.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I figured as much, but wanted to put a shot in the dark anyway.

Somehow I am going to have to figure out how to get more runs in- just hard with a three year old. I would try the stroller if I could borrow someone's because I have the sneaking suspicion that she would stay in it. I have taken her out for a 3k walk before, but that's at exploring toddler pace.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Do body weight squats or split lunges to help build your thight buttock muscles. better chance of reducing leg injuries, especially if you don't run as much. anything to strengthen your leg muscles is key
  • carlosjenno
    carlosjenno Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Is there a Parkrun near you? That would be a good place to start. But, as everyone else said, the only real way to get run-fit is to run.

http://www.parkrun.us/events/
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2015
    Options
    just a few ideas that might help:

1. if you can afford a gym membership alot of them have daycares that will watch your child while you workout
    2. Google your town name and running and see if there is a local running group. You can meet some really amazing people, maybe other moms who would be willing to test drive their stroller. You could find friends, workout buddies, and maybe someone who doesn't need thier stroller anymore so you can get a cheaper 2nd hand one.

ETA feel free to friend me if you want a running buddy on MFP
  • kramrn77
    Options
    All of those are excellent ideas. I will look into going to the gym on base. I used to go, but the fact that Hildie just stood and screamed at me the whole time kinda nixed that (nobody wants to be THAT mom). But now that she's a year older, it might work. She's a lot more independent now and more interested in playing.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. :smile:

• Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    ive hear awesome things about c25k <3 is there child care at your gym so she can play with other kids while you work out for 30-60 min?
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    kramrn77 wrote: »
    All of those are excellent ideas. I will look into going to the gym on base. I used to go, but the fact that Hildie just stood and screamed at me the whole time kinda nixed that (nobody wants to be THAT mom). But now that she's a year older, it might work. She's a lot more independent now and more interested in playing.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. :smile:

Well use her as your "weight" when you do squats. Kids love that stuff.
  • kramrn77
    Options
    The gyms on bases generally have a "mom" room where there is a play area in the same room as where you work out but separated by a barrier. Which was why she would freak out and cry- I was where she could see me. I am going to have to try it again.
  • weebee05
    weebee05 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    ipad in the stroller, not pretty but sometimes you need to do what you need to do. or bring the ipad to the "mom" workout area. :)
  • kramrn77
    Options
    I worked out this morning and plus it's Ash Wednesday so I had to go to services after work, but I think tomorrow I am going to go try out the gym again and see how she does. If she freaks maybe I can knock out a quick weights workout and go back to the drawing board! And I do have a nook that has books and games for her as well....
  • Holly92154
    Holly92154 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Building up your endurance doesn't have to be run specific. I started 5 months ago and couldn't walk up the stairs without getting winded lol I used work out videos to help me get into better shape before I started running long distances.

Doing butt kicks in place will help to develop running specific muscles.

Jogging in place is an option.

Calf exercises- on one calf jumping 4 square, calf raises, etc. Fitness blender has a free YouTube video that really targets your calves. One of the most common running injuries are shin splits. So, seriously, anything you can do on your off days to strengthen your calves will go a long way.

Running also uses a lot of core. Making a regular effort to strengthen your core will also be beneficial.

Either way, doing something is better than nothing. Yes, it is true, the only way to get faster/better at running is to run. However, you can still make your body more prepared for the transition.

Hope that helps...