Not losing when I SHOULD be!

Options

Replies

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    If you are still bleeding, your body is trying to heal itself. It takes a while for the hormones to get back to normal levels. Giving birth is stressful on the body. Be patient.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I had a little look at your diary...some of your food is weighed using cups- these are never accurate and I *think* (this is just my opinion) you might be over estimating ur calories burned :-/ I use an elliptical machine and burn 300 calories per hour!

However..here in the UK and Ireland we are strongly advised to refrain from rigorous exercise until 6 weeks postpartum ...give your body time to adjust and heal and maybe you might see a movement on the scales then?

My calories burned are accurate I have been using a HRM. Also how are cups not accurate? I'm confused.

Let me start off by saying that I agree with everyone else who's telling you to stop stressing about it right now. The first few months after giving birth should be focused on your recovery, not on losing weight. Being healthy is a good thing, but your body just went through a major trauma and it needs time to recover.

However, when you are ready to start losing (meaning your doctor is ok with it), definitely use a scale to weigh your food instead of measuring cups. Here's why (the guy is a little annoying, but he's right):

• Skinnylittlesunflower
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    astrampe wrote: »
    Your health and your babies are a lot more important than losing a bit of baby weight so fast.....

Yes, this is the key point here. You're a 22-year-old new mom. You're no longer the centre of your own universe. You have a tiny human who needs you to focus on putting (his? her?) needs first.

Focus on taking good enough care of yourself so that you can take care of your baby properly. That includes eating enough to keep your strength up -- whether you're breastfeeding or not, 1200 calories is not enough -- and spending more time thinking about your baby's needs than about your six-pack abs.

Okay I think this is really rude. I devote 23 hours a day to my children. The fact that I enjoy going to the gym for 30 minutes each day and like to make sure I'm not pigging out on junk food has nothing to do with how much attention I give my kids. You seem to think I'm a first time mom and I'm not.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if it came across as rude. I certainly didn't mean it that way. And of course there's nothing wrong with spending 30 minutes at the gym as a new mom. I'd say it might even be necessary for your sanity (as long as it's all medically cleared, etc. etc.).

If this isn't your first baby, then you probably are basing your experience on the last time you gave birth. Maybe the weight dropped faster the first time, because it can vary a lot. It could be that you're putting pressure on yourself to lose the baby weight just as quickly this time, and maybe this time it will take a little bit longer, 'cause, well, human bodies are like that.

Hang in there, and don't stress yourself out by putting too much negative pressure on yourself. You'll get there.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Your health and your babies are a lot more important than losing a bit of baby weight so fast.....

Yes, this is the key point here. You're a 22-year-old new mom. You're no longer the centre of your own universe. You have a tiny human who needs you to focus on putting (his? her?) needs first.

Focus on taking good enough care of yourself so that you can take care of your baby properly. That includes eating enough to keep your strength up -- whether you're breastfeeding or not, 1200 calories is not enough -- and spending more time thinking about your baby's needs than about your six-pack abs.

So a mom can't think about her fitness and also take care of the needs of her children?? Interesting.
  • Skinnylittlesunflower
    Options
    Talk to health care provider about the science behind having babies and hormone fluctuations, eat lots of real food, not quest bars and red bull,up your protein and veggie intake and relax....Your health and your babies are a lot more important than losing a bit of baby weight so fast.....

Clearly I should not have pointed out that I had a child over a month ago because that's all half of you seem to zero in on. I never once said my babies were less important that my weightloss? I don't have them locked away in a room while I work out for hours and create meal plans. I honestly didn't know hormones could still be effecting my ability to lose weight but it is nobody's business to dish out parenting advice and tell me to focus on my kids. So disrespectful when all I asked for was advice on why I could be losing slower than I'm used to.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Does your HRM provide gross or net caloric burn? Does it account for VO2 max and heart rate reserve?
  • Krock83
    Krock83 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I totally understand how you feel! I even went to the Dr. to have them do a panel to see if there was anything wrong. Keep going with it, it could be that it's just taking a while to show up.
  • Skinnylittlesunflower
    Options
    I'm sorry if it came across as rude. I certainly didn't mean it that way. And of course there's nothing wrong with spending 30 minutes at the gym as a new mom. I'd say it might even be necessary for your sanity (as long as it's all medically cleared, etc. etc.).

If this isn't your first baby, then you probably are basing your experience on the last time you gave birth. Maybe the weight dropped faster the first time, because it can vary a lot. It could be that you're putting pressure on yourself to lose the baby weight just as quickly this time, and maybe this time it will take a little bit longer, 'cause, well, human bodies are like that.

Hang in there, and don't stress yourself out by putting too much negative pressure on yourself. You'll get there.

Actually my first pregnancy is what brought me from 140lbs to 210. Then I only got to 175 before getting pregnant again. So this time I'm just trying to actually put in more of an effort to lose ALL the baby weight because with my first pregnancy I just didn't care.

I am going to stop weighing myself daily and instead move to once a week. I tried on some jeans today that were tight last week but fit comfortably now so I don't think the scale is very accurate at the moment.
  • Skinnylittlesunflower
    Options
    I had a little look at your diary...some of your food is weighed using cups- these are never accurate and I *think* (this is just my opinion) you might be over estimating ur calories burned :-/ I use an elliptical machine and burn 300 calories per hour!

However..here in the UK and Ireland we are strongly advised to refrain from rigorous exercise until 6 weeks postpartum ...give your body time to adjust and heal and maybe you might see a movement on the scales then?

My calories burned are accurate I have been using a HRM. Also how are cups not accurate? I'm confused.

Let me start off by saying that I agree with everyone else who's telling you to stop stressing about it right now. The first few months after giving birth should be focused on your recovery, not on losing weight. Being healthy is a good thing, but your body just went through a major trauma and it needs time to recover.

However, when you are ready to start losing (meaning your doctor is ok with it), definitely use a scale to weigh your food instead of measuring cups. Here's why (the guy is a little annoying, but he's right):

This is really interesting thank you!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I am going to stop weighing myself daily and instead move to once a week. I tried on some jeans today that were tight last week but fit comfortably now so I don't think the scale is very accurate at the moment.

Excellent plan.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    You just had a baby! Your hormones are going to be all over the place and you're probably retaining a bunch of water yet. Are you nursing? Eating too low of calories and exercising a lot will hurt your milk supply if you are. Right now your body wants to hold on to every calorie because, even if you aren't nursing, it still thinks it has to support nourishing a baby. Your body goes through hell having a baby and it takes time to heal and you need to eat sensibly without worrying about losing weight at this point.
  • megia3
    megia3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am so frustrated. I have been diligently eating 1200 calories everyday and working out for 30 minutes per day doing cardio and I am not losing weight at all. I'm 5'6 and 186lbs. I had my second child a month ago and I've managed to lose about 7lbs in the last 3 weeks but now I'm at a standstill. Infact I gained 2lbs two days ago and it's stayed that way.

I'm just so frusterated. I drink 3-4 liters of water a day. I count every single thing that goes into my mouth and measure my food. Since I'm at such a high weight for my height I feel like I should be losing Atleast 2lbs a week right?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Please I will try anything I am so annoyed with forcing carrot sticks and lean chicken down my throat when all I want is junk food and still not seeing any results.

I'm also 5'6" and weigh 189. I have the exact same problem, so for the last two months I've kept track of my full body measurements. Even though my weight is the same, I'm losing inches all over the place. I haven't seen the results in weight loss, but I've noticed that this seems to be normal for my body type. I'll lose inches around my waist, legs and arms for several weeks (with no results on the scale), Then all of a sudden, I'll reach a week where all I do is drop weight. I only notice a slight change in my clothes, so I'm glad that I've recorded my measurements.

Now that I understand this about myself, it's much easier for me to be patient with the process, and allow my body to respond in the way that it needs to.

Keep sticking to your program, it looks like you're on the right track! :smile:

• Skinnylittlesunflower
    Options
    Does your HRM provide gross or net caloric burn? Does it account for VO2 max and heart rate reserve?

It's a Polar f4 watch. I am honestly not sure I have never owned one until last week so I don't know much about them. But it stays consistent on saying I burn around 250-272 calories per 30 minute workout on the elliptical.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »

Okay I think this is really rude. I devote 23 hours a day to my children. The fact that I enjoy going to the gym for 30 minutes each day and like to make sure I'm not pigging out on junk food has nothing to do with how much attention I give my kids. You seem to think I'm a first time mom and I'm not.

She wasn't being rude. She was reminding you to keep things in perspective and keep your expectations realistic.
    And you're 22, people are going to assume it's your first child, whether it's true or not.

Imo.. As a mother, I found it fairly rude as well. How was she supposed to that the insinuation that she might not be focusing on her children simply because she's trying to lose weight?

She stated the most recent child was not her first previously.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    You just had a baby! Your hormones are going to be all over the place and you're probably retaining a bunch of water yet. Are you nursing? Eating too low of calories and exercising a lot will hurt your milk supply if you are. Right now your body wants to hold on to every calorie because, even if you aren't nursing, it still thinks it has to support nourishing a baby. Your body goes through hell having a baby and it takes time to heal and you need to eat sensibly without worrying about losing weight at this point.

That's a good point. Even without actually nursing..your body is probably still at the ready to nurse with your baby being so young.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your food diary for today. Want to know if you ate the entire Cliff bar? The entry shows 1 bar for 100 calories. That cliff bar has 260 calories. If you ate the whole thing you have the calories wrong. Also I see you had 1/2 tbl spoon of ranch dressing. Are you honest in how much you really had? I know i log a certain amount but know i actually used more. Incorrect logging and numbers can put you at more calories that you think.
  • Skinnylittlesunflower
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    I just looked at your food diary for today. Want to know if you ate the entire Cliff bar? The entry shows 1 bar for 100 calories. That cliff bar has 260 calories. If you ate the whole thing you have the calories wrong. Also I see you had 1/2 tbl spoon of ranch dressing. Are you honest in how much you really had? I know i log a certain amount but know i actually used more. Incorrect logging and numbers can put you at more calories that you think.

Yes I really ate 1 cliff bar lol. And I measured out 1/2 a tablespoon of ranch. I am really adamant on measuring things. I forget to log things sometimes in general but when I always measure my food before I eat it.