Fasted cardio and am workouts??

Options
Am workouts???? Who else sets their alarm and then doesn't get up to do fasted cardio??? Uh, ME!!! I want so badly to get up and get moving for 20-3 minutes but everyday I fail!!!!! I don't sleep well and I know that has a lot to do with it. I go to bed by 9, but wake up every 1-2 hrs it's miserable.

Replies

• apattonfit
    apattonfit Posts: 16 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Am workouts???? Who else sets their alarm and then doesn't get up to do fasted cardio??? Uh, ME!!! I want so badly to get up and get moving for 20-3 minutes but everyday I fail!!!!! I don't sleep well and I know that has a lot to do with it. I go to bed by 9, but wake up every 1-2 hrs it's miserable.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Workout when it works for you. Cardio does not have to be fasted to burn calories. Actually getting it done is best; whatever time that may be.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    True that, if you'd get it done with food in your belly and later in the day, that's way better than failing at a fasted morning workout and feeling bad about yourself.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    So is there an actual question here? Or are you just telling everyone that you like sleeping in.
  • CooperJC24
    CooperJC24 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Actually, you don't burn any more calories in the morning than night assuming the same rate/incline/distance. On average you start actually burning calories about 20 minutes into a typical cardio workout. So sleep easier, sleep is also an important factor in burning calories !
  • martinmcneely1
    martinmcneely1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do most my traing through the winter in the early hours and I have done for years. It's suits my schedule better, fasted cardio? It's not what I intended but is what happens but my best performances are in the afternoon! So it may not suit everyone. My pb's have all came in afternoon races. Better results rested.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    apattonfit wrote: »

Sounds almost exactly like me. Regardless, there are days when my desire to progress/improve outweighs my desire to be lazy. On those days, I get up and workout. Once I'm moving, I've never once wished I was back in bed. On the other days, I don't get up, I don't workout, and usually end up regretting it.

Short term gratification vs long term results. Which do you want more?
  • vanessangonzalez
    vanessangonzalez Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Me! I keep "wanting" to work out first thing in the morning and I've yet to get up. And that's because my husband gets up at 5:45 and I'm pretty much laying there half sleeping for 45 minutes. Well...I need to get my *kitten* up!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Am workouts???? Who else sets their alarm and then doesn't get up to do fasted cardio??? Uh, ME!!!

snooze_button.jpg
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do cardio in the morning (fasted) and lift weights mid-afternoon. But my schedule usually has me doing all my workouts in the morning. If it is cardio or crossfit, I do it fasted (although I’ll take BCAAs for crossfit). I try to get some small meal in for lifting (might just be a banana or some yogurt).

Sleep is important, and so yes, sometimes I choose sleep over the workout (but I usually make that decision the night before). To be successful in fat loss and fitness goals, you have to start with a commitment. For some, it is the commitment to themselves, for others, it helps to make the commitment with someone else (a trainer, a training partner, etc.). Commit and succeed.
  • decblessings
    decblessings Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Do you have friends that can meet up with you to workout in the morning? I have to do early morning workouts or I pretty much can't workout at the gym during the week. My husband and I work opposite shifts and don't really have many people to help with the kids in the evenings. I usually meet friends there, but lately I've just been going whether or not friends will be there. I needed the motivation of their presence early on though.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I do my morning walk after breakfast. I started with just 10 minutes so I wouldn't be late for work, then slowly worked my way up to 45, slowly creeping my alarm clock back every so often. Thinking about bumping it another 15 minutes soon.

I get a more heavy-duty workout in the evening (bodyweight exercises and/or martial arts) 5 nights/week... No excuses there since I'm already awake, and generally the more intense exercise, I perform much better in the evening (for some reason it's harder for me to push in the morning).

Do what fits your schedule. Start small if you have to and build up from there.. don't make it hard by setting unrealistic expectations on your time and body - but find a time that DOES work for you, and get moving.

The workout you finish, however imperfect, is infinitely better than the perfect one you never start.

• Daninhell
    Daninhell Posts: 3 Member
    Options

This is me. Trouble staying asleep. Excited for my morning workout, then morning comes and I just keep saying there's always tomorrow. There was a time when I routinely did fasted HIIT cardio in the morning and felt and saw a huge difference. Trying to get back to that. Sometimes you just have to do it without thinking. The more you think the more you rationalize why its OK to not do it. It takes a few times to become habbit. Don't give up! Once you feel the positive effects you will have proof and know it works.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I run most of my runs under 13.1mi in a fasted state. I do sometimes carry a handheld with gatorade in it while im running. And of course big post run feasts :smile: