Steel Cut oats and Pre/post work out foods

Options
The gym I go to always states how steel cut oats are so good for you . What is a good recipe. Also i work out (H.I.I.T) at a 5am class, anyone else workout so early, if so What do you eat pre and post workout.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I tried steel cut oats, and they are good, but they take a LOT longer to cook than other oats, and I lost patience for them. :stuck_out_tongue: My favorite is a multi-grain oatmeal from Trader Joe's - better than quick-oats, nice texture and flavor.

As for early classes and eating - if you are energized enough to get through them now, I wouldn't worry about a pre-workout snack. I workout at 5am as well, and on an empty stomach, with no issues. But if you need something, try a half of a banana and a slice of toast, or a bagel, and many swear by good ol' coffee on the way to the gym.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    For steel cut oats I add 1/2 cup oats to 2 cups boiling water in a non stick sauce pan. Simmer uncovered on low heat for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally. When I'm ready to eat, I pour some milk over the top, and that its. I like it simple. Some people add nuts, raisins, sugar, etc. If you want to prepare it faster, cook up a batch at night and heat it up a single serving in a microwave.

For an early early morning workout, I don't eat. drink a class of water and that's it.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I like oatmeal, but I don't spring for the steel cut variety because they take longer to cook and there is an insignificant difference in glycemic index and macronutrients (the arguments made in favor of steel cut) between steel cut and rolled oats.

I work out later at night and don't do any classes (none available with my schedule). If I worked out at 5am, I would be late for work. Why not eat breakfast 30-60 min. before going to work out and having a carb and protein snack right afterward?
  • a05jwal
    a05jwal Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for feedback. I used to not eat before but I heard a lot about how you should really have some slow digesting carb with protein before and protein and quick digesting carb right after but the calories then add up, and I like to enjoy my breakfast later like when I can sit and relax so I think i will skip food before and just do protein right after .
  • yolo9752
    yolo9752 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You can do protein shake before and after as long as it agrees with you. I like to add flax seed or chia as well.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I do a batch on Sunday and portion it out for four days (typically treat myself to a bagel or breakfast sandwich from a coffee shop on Friday).

Boil 4 cups water, add 1 cup steel cut oats, cook at boil for 5-7 minutes, then simmer for 30. Portion out into separate containers. IN the morning I'll add 1/4 cup of dried cranberries, 1/4 cup milk or almond milk, and a dash of cinnamon.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    No comment on the oatmeal, but as far as working out early and eating, just go with what feels right. Personally I am not a huge fan of eating at 5am, so I go to the gym on an empty stomach, and usually don't eat until a few hours later unless I'm ravenous.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    only oatmeal I eat is the old fashion thin rolled from MyOatmeal.com. There's is no special oatmeal, or food for that matter, that's bad or better for you. Steel cut is a pain in the *kitten* to prepare if you ask me, I hate it. hence, why I stay old fashioned.

The whole pre / post workout food is up to you. Pre, if you think or feel you preform better with food in your stomach, eat some carbs.... candy esepcially like sour patch kids, gummi bears, etc. fat free foods.

I preform better empty personally. When I eat I get tired, sluggish, and want to fall asleep while benching pressing.

Now post-work out, isn't that important, just eat when YOU are hungry.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I love steel cut oats but I can't be bothered to prepare them on a regular basis. I compromise with Coach's Oats which have a very similar texture. I do not really like the texture or rolled oats.

I usually have an apple about 30 minutes or so before I hit the weight room. I hit the weight room in the evening after work on Tues and Thurs so I just eat dinner afterwards. I usually workout on Saturday mornings too and then just have lunch afterwards.

The only time I really worry about post workout nutrition is if I do a ride of about 30 miles or more.
  • lovinlife17
    lovinlife17 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just curious would the quick steel oatmeal work for you? I mean not completely ideal but you definitely would pick up some good from it while short on time. 3 minutes and done I believe!
  • a05jwal
    Options
    I am so glad I asked this. I think so many trainers push eating before and after, but I didn't like doing it cuz I really like to enjoy and sit and eat my food and not rush in the am. I notice I do better on empty stomach too no side aches, etc . thanks for input.
  • 00figg
    00figg Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i make four servings at a time of the steel cut oats in my rice cooker then store them in separate containers with toppings.
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have never really liked the chewy texture of steel cut oats, but I've heard the crockpot is a good way to go with them.

For post workout, With the class being that early I'd go in fasted. Make sure to have some starchy carbs the evening before if you do that.
    And postworkout could be your breakfast if you keep the fat low and add protein and fast digesting carbs in a 1:2 ratio. If not, a spotty banana and a protein shake would work with your breakfast and hour or so later.

What I do probably won't apply to you because I'm a lifter and I lift at 10am . I make my breakfast of protein pancake my preworkout and then I have a protein shake with cereal afterwards or sometimes just have a low fat lunch.

Hope that helps!
  • a05jwal
    Options
    thanks for advice. I just tried the steel cut oats in crock pot. they are not good - iadded cinammon, almond milk and vanilla, still taste like cardboard so will be last time I make them. and i am not going to bother eating before my workout so I can enjoy a nice breakfast after and not feel rushed!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I looked up nutrition content for steel cut vs old fashioned, and while steel cut are less processed, they are the same nutrition wise on what I look for. They are double the fiber but also double the calories. So to eat the same amount calorie wise, there is no difference IMO. Except I don't get to eat as much, which is a big downfall. I'll stick with old fashioned. A small bowl of oatmeal would be a good pre-morning workout snack.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Btw I make a baked oatmeal with sweetened almond milk, mashed bananas, brown sugar, pecans, blueberries... It's really good.
  • anapestic
    anapestic Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I like steel cut oats a lot, mostly for the texture. They definitely take longer to prepare, so you either need to presoak them or make them in quantity and parcel them out. I do that when I think to make them on a weekend. I think they're mostly for people who don't mind doing a little cooking.

Alton Brown has a really good recipe for them, and I usually follow some variation on his recipe. It does have extra calories because it involves toasting the oats in butter at the beginning, but I find that a teaspoon of butter will do a cup of oats, provided you stir while they're cooking. I also add some nonfat Greek yogurt so that I get some extra protein.

Anyway, what I do is start with a teaspoon of butter in the bottom of a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. At the same time, I put 3.5 cups of water in the microwave to heat up. When the butter is melted, I add a cup of oats, and stir for 2-3 minutes. Then I add the water and a pinch of salt, stir, and cook until the oats come to a simmer. Then I put the lid on and leave it alone for about twenty minutes. At that point, I'll stir in a cup of Greek yogurt, a tablespoon of either sugar or honey or maple syrup, a teaspoon of cinnamon, and some chopped fresh or dried fruit. When the oats come back to a simmer, I turn off the heat and let the pan sit, covered, for another ten minutes or so.

Most of those ingredients are optional, and a lot of people use milk instead of yogurt, or they just use water.

That gives me four servings.

Like I said, it's not something to do if you hate cooking, but it makes a very satisfying breakfast.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Make a big batch of steel cut oats on Sunday in the crockpot. Add whatever mixins you like.
  • hillsville282
    Options
    True steel cut oats do take a long time to cook. So good and totally worth it. One man's opinion!! It is best to make up a large amount plain, more than a few days worth, take what you want then and then store the rest in the fridge. Reheat a portion as needed. Add whatever you like (fruits, nuts, honey etc). You can mix it up with each portion. In other words you won't get bored with it using the steel cut oats as the canvas for delicious eating in the morning or anytime quite frankly.
    Now, McCanns has 'Quick and Easy' steel cut 100% Whole Grain Irish Oats that are really easy and quite good. They take less than 10 mins. start to finish. Got then at Costco. They appear to be smaller grain size than your typical steel cut oat so that may be the way they cook faster. Nothing else is apparent and there are no artificial ingredients. "Alls good in the hood"!! Enjoy!

There's too many people with too many opinions about what is right or not about pre and post workout eating. My take on all of it is overall I stay in a caloric deficit eating organic whenever possible and only foods that I know exactly what's in it(i.e. make it myself with ingredients I can account for) while maintaining a balance of carbs, proteins and fats. Smaller portions with a good probiotic and some kind of fiber therapy daily has worked for me. Was 184 April 2013 now 158 at age 64. There's no quick fix but there is good healthy daily living for the quality of your life. I am new to MyFitnessPal and hope that I can use the tracking to help get down to my goal weight of 143 while adding some lean muscle mass with exercise. Balance is everything!!

Peace and Joy!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I like steel cut oats, and make them in a rice cooker. I put them in the night before, add water and turn it on when I get up, and they are ready when I'm out of the shower. I still have eggs much more often, for various reasons, but oatmeal is a nice alternative and that's my favorite kind. I add fruit and sometimes protein powder (with some extra water) when they are finished cooking. Milk is nice with them too.

However, although I prefer to eat breakfast when I have the time to do so in advance, for working out, I don't think you need to eat before such an early work out unless you feel weaker not doing so. I'll work out or do a reasonably long run without eating (then eat after), as I can't run immediately after and can't take a break after eating if the workout is that early (or at 5:30, which is the earliest I've ever managed). I'd eat your slow release carbs the night before. I actually do perceive a difference in energy level when I do (although I'm sure it could just be in my mind).