Whole Foods Market

Options
I am super excited that a Whole Foods Market opened today not far from my house! For those of you who shop there, what are some healthy meals or items I can add to my shopping list?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Whole Paycheck lol... I got some good steaks from there the other day. Everything else seems way overpriced.
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I usually just go there to browse and buy interesting looking things that they don't sell at my normal supermarket. They usually have a really great salad bar, too! But I could never afford to do all my grocery shopping there.
  • cwagner20
    cwagner20 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Lemon artichoke fritter in deli, sautéed vegetable medley and conchin de lait pork in hot meals/pizza area
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    We have Whole Foods and Earthfare here. I like Whole Foods for all things produce and Earthfare seems to have better prices on meat.

Also if you eat beans, nuts, and seeds, Whole Foods is great for that, too.
  • cruzmom123
    cruzmom123 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Whole Paycheck lol... I got some good steaks from there the other day. Everything else seems way overpriced.

I just received my tax refund so I might splurge and spend extra!! LOL
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Their own brand products called "365" are somewhat reasonable.
    I buy stuff from them that is not available in my neighborhood grocery store,
    Yesterday I bought local pink shrimp (Key West) that hubby cooked last night. I like their 365 olive oil. Also I have to by home and personal care products that are unscented so I bought 365 liquid unscented hand soap.
  • nataliebordeauxx
    nataliebordeauxx Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Everything, duh!

2d2.png
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I like to get my raw nuts, herbs and nut butters from there.
  • kissa714
    kissa714 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    their sandwich cremes (oreo look alikes) are sooooo good. ive been eating them since i was little and ive always liked them a lot better than oreos. their meat is really good too. i love their rotisserie chicken. they also have some products there that you just cant get from other super markets. thats pretty much it. their fruits/veggies/baked goods/everything else is super over priced and not worth it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I second their store brand, it's not too expensive and pretty good. I love their selection of cheese but yeah... $$$.

For the prepared food, it depends on the store, as they use local stuff... My store has a fantastic bakery section, but I know other stores who have a very average one. Frankly the bakery is the main reason I go there nowadays (like... twice a year maybe), or it's to get fancier food for stocking stuffers or gifts.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I like finding things in the produce section that aren't readily available anywhere else here. I like their cheeses and the salad bar yum. Oh - I like being able to buy things in bulk in the amounts that work for me like chia seeds and lentils, different grains, etc. I usually come out with tons of little brown bags lol. I always look at everything in all the aisles in hopes of finding something new to try.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I prefer Costco for cheese (Kerrygold) and coconut oil (Carrington). Saves money bigtime!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    just because they market themselves as "whole" foods and "healthy" does not mean that you cannot go somewhere else and get less expensive items that fit into your calorie/macro/micro targets for the day ...

We have a fresh market in my town, I usually get meats and fish there and then Publix for everything else...

• fish2find
    fish2find Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    We have rotated markets for years, my wife would rather hit 4 stores and score deals than pay extra. That said she now buys much "healthier" better quality food and we spend about the same as twice as much "cheaper" stuff. I tend to think we spend less now days.
    Our list is minimal anymore and we shop to the sales and specials. We try new things and its working really well. Im pretty lucky that our closest store is Whole Foods so its easy to check there 1st.
  • cruzmom123
    cruzmom123 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    So I visited Whole Foods Market today. I see what everyone is talking about now. That place is pricey. I couldn't believe their small pre-packaged salads were $9. You can get a larger size salad at Wal-Mart for half the price. I did end up buying a few items at Whole Foods, mostly snack foods made by 365 organic.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Funny, Whole Foods is more reasonable than my grocery store and many close by actually. I'm just too lazy to go there.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    nope nope nope.

Glad you saw the light.
  • jnlaughton
    Options
    Watch Food Inc. That will give you a good starting point.
  • scooberooni
    scooberooni Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like to purchase items from their bulk bins. The spices are the cheapest that I have seen anywhere. They also offer a some good sales on Fridays (I believe). Check their ads. Their pizza at their bar is also great and very inexpensive for 2 whole pies.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I shop at Whole Foods. It is pricey but if I am careful with my budget and meal planning and figuring out what my family needs for the week and can go without then it can be done! I loooove their Echo Farms Miracle Pudding and they have an awesome prepared food section where me and my hubby and our son stop for lunch sometimes!