Any thoughts on Organic Hemp Protein???

Options
My husband and I are looking for a dairy, sugar, and perservative free protien powder. I heard about hemp protien powder and wondering if anyone has tried it. Right now we use ON Soy Protein but I HATE the fact that is containes sulacrose and natural flavors! Thanks for any advice on all natural protien powder!

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    would like to know also...
  • hllamaster
    hllamaster Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hemp !!! isn't that something you smoke...well at least the kind I'm thinking about.....
  • RobertaG
    RobertaG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hemp !!! isn't that something you smoke...well at least the kind I'm thinking about.....

That's why I clicked on the post lol
  • BlissfulYoga
    BlissfulYoga Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    They sell the digestible seeds at my local health store! I've heard great things about them but haven't tried them yet! I think they are actually called Hemp Hearts or maybe that's the brand...not sure...
  • meggiemaye
    meggiemaye Posts: 117
    Options
    Not that I know anything about this...*cough*....but hemp, at least in the US, can only be grown legally if it the low-to-non-THC variety, which can be used for making tons of things, from shoes to paper, similar to cotton, but is pointless to smoke. :tongue:
  • tarazena
    tarazena Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hey- I used Hemp protein powder for awhile when I was doing a detox a month or so ago..it was all the things you wanted...all natural, no sugars, organic, dairy and soy free etc.
    It was ok (I like soy better but I'm sure this hemp one is really healthy) -I used it to make smoothies..it does have a bit of a flavour ..not sure how to describe it..and of course, it was SUPER GREEN looking (of course) so the shakes were a little off looking but tasted good.
    No- you do not smoke hemp...it is same plant but different strain.
    I ordered it from rawnutrition.ca (I'm Canadian) and the brand was Nutiva Hemp protein.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I have not tasted it but my Brother is a vegan and that is what he drinks. He claims soy protein is not healthy for males so he had to use hemp instead since he does not like the consistency/flavor of rice and vegetable protein.
  • BlissfulYoga
    Options
    Just found this...very interesting...and it's from Live Strong!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/154639-what-are-the-benefits-of-eating-hemp-hearts/
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    Hey- I used Hemp protein powder for awhile when I was doing a detox a month or so ago..it was all the things you wanted...all natural, no sugars, organic, dairy and soy free etc.
    It was ok (I like soy better but I'm sure this hemp one is really healthy) -I used it to make smoothies..it does have a bit of a flavour ..not sure how to describe it..and of course, it was SUPER GREEN looking (of course) so the shakes were a little off looking but tasted good.
    I ordered it from rawnutrition.ca (I'm Canadian) and the brand was Nutiva Hemp protein.

Thank you! I appreciate you actually posting somthing useful unlike everyone else here. :)
  • RoniDoll
    Options
    I have not tasted it but my Brother is a vegan and that is what he drinks. He claims soy protein is not healthy for males so he had to use hemp instead since he does not like the consistency/flavor of rice and vegetable protein.

yeah we are concerned about the soy as well
  • Kathryn72
    Kathryn72 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I've been using hemp hearts for a while now in my morning smoothies. They have a slightly nutty taste. They have a pretty high protein count as well as having lots of healthy oils (I don't have the bottle handy right now to give you the run down). You can also sprinkle them on cereal, yogurt, add them to baking, trail mix, etc. A friend likes to eat them just as a snack on the go, but I find they are pretty tiny and difficult to eat with just your fingers.

I looked into using a protein powder but concluded that I'd rather use something that is less processed.
  • tarazena
    tarazena Posts: 93 Member
    Options

Thank you! I appreciate you actually posting somthing useful unlike everyone else here. :)

No problem..hope you find a brand you like...
  • BlissfulYoga
    Options
    As for the Us & Canada legal issues - I found this helpful while explaining to others...
    http://www.hempseed.ca/is-hemp-legal.ihtml
  • RoniDoll
    Options
    As for the Us & Canada legal issues - I found this helpful while explaining to others...
    http://www.hempseed.ca/is-hemp-legal.ihtml

Thank you so much!!! :)
  • RoniDoll
    Options
    Hi there,

I've been using hemp hearts for a while now in my morning smoothies. They have a slightly nutty taste. They have a pretty high protein count as well as having lots of healthy oils (I don't have the bottle handy right now to give you the run down). You can also sprinkle them on cereal, yogurt, add them to baking, trail mix, etc. A friend likes to eat them just as a snack on the go, but I find they are pretty tiny and difficult to eat with just your fingers.

I looked into using a protein powder but concluded that I'd rather use something that is less processed.

So is it kinda like flax seed? I put milled flax seed in my yogurt everyday... Is it the same consistancy?
  • meggiemaye
    meggiemaye Posts: 117
    Options

Haha that's super nice to say!! :laugh:
  • Kathryn72
    Kathryn72 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I find it softer than milled flax seed. For example, I could easily eat a teaspoon of hemp seed without needing water to wash it down, but ground flax seed? Bleh! So it blends up very nicely in a smoothie. I've also added ground flax seed to smoothies and I find it more noticeable than the hemp hearts.

Also, the hemp hearts are bigger than ground flax. They are smaller than a lentil. Maybe a bit smaller than the size of the "O" on your keyboard?

The brand I use is North Coast Naturals Raw Shelled Hemp Seed Hearts. I'm Canadian and it's a Canadian product, not sure where else it is available. In a big scoop (28g) there are 160 calories, 12g fat, 2.5g Omega-3, 7g Omega-6, no cholesterol or sodium, 3g carbs, 2g fibre, 10g protein. I use one big scoop in a full-blender smoothie that makes two servings.