am I overtraining?

Options
I am 64 and when i workout i usually go over an hour. If doing stength training, I use a push pull aproach and move to the alternate immediatly (less than 30 sec). I will add an unrelated exercise in and then repeat the cycle. So might be dumbell military press, alternate with lat pull downs and a set of lunges. I keep moving to keep my heart rate up.

Not seeing any progress, and was told i am working too hard for my age? thoughts?

Len

Replies

• luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I'm 64 and work that hard and have for the last year and a half. How long have you been doing this and how many days per week? I take at least two days off from the gym per week for muscle recovery, sometimes three. I walk or ride the bike on non gym days. I've seen lots of weight loss and strength gains. My trainer called me a "beast" the other day so I guess something's working.

I did have a series of minor injuries and had to cut back a little as I was over training slightly but my schedule now seems to be working. It's difficult to say if you're working too hard or not but I think you should be the one to determine that.

Maybe you just need to give it more time to really see results?
  • glenperk
    glenperk Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Your body may have adjusted to your routine; it's called a plateau. Try mixing in a different type of exercise. As for you overworking for your age, I would have reservations about that statement.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? How do you define progress?

Are you sleeping okay? How well are you recovering after a workout? Have you had any symptoms of fatigue or depression?
  • 4thDegreeKnight
    4thDegreeKnight Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    +1 to GlenPerk. I had the exact same problem a few years ago and plateued for a month. My trainer said the same thing - the get your heart up, go go go, with no rest is very much like circuit training. He explained its a very good routine but your body gets used to it pretty quick so you have to constantly change.

Don't worry so much about the go go go. One day do what you do, the next day go slow and heavier with rest of 2-3 min in between, the next work a whole different part of your body. More importantly switch the exercises. I have 2-3 different exercise routines for each body part (say Back, Biceps, and Abs) bouncing between free weights, body weights, and machines.

My trainer also explained to me that after an hour, you start hitting the law of diminishing returns. You are making progress, but especially in strength training, it may not be much.

To break the plateau, I also had to vary my calories that week and get pretty strict on sugar. If my calorie intake was supposed to be 2000, I would take in 2150 calories one day, 1850 the next, etc.

Between the change in calories and change in routine I confused my body enough to start losing weight and gain muscle again.

As for overworking, that is up to you. I would, however, encourage you do give your body time to recover. I usually am in the gym for an hour or slightly over M-F and rest over the weekend. Then my trainer suggested taking a whole week off every 3 months to allow your body to completely heal.

However, this si what worked for me. Good luck.

• luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of mixing things up too. I did circuit training for a long time and hit a wall with it last summer. I changed to a calisthenics warmup followed by free weights and have lost steadily, but slowly, and gained strength since then. Maybe that's the answer.

If your goal is primarily to lose weight you may need to adjust your diet though.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    That's great your still into exercising like you are. My dad is the same age and I can't get him off the couch; it's concerning.

What is your main goal or what do you want to achieve through resistance-training?
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Age is irrelevant. Your exercise selections targeting push/pull with the same muscle groups are excellent. Lunges are fine. Strength training doesn't really require that you keep your heartrate up. In fact, resting between sets will allow you to work harder. Working to exhaustion is not the point. Just focus on technique and intensity. What's your programming like?...how many reps, how many sets? how many days between workouts?
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others who have said that age is not a factor.

If you are looking to gain lean muscle but have not been able to do so, I can tell you from looking at your diary that you are not getting nearly enough protein. I eat more protein than you do, and I am a 46 year old woman. I think the most I saw for the past week was 128g, but the other days were way under 100g. That is not enough.
  • lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    WOW, now I am feeling guilty. I posted here but did not expect an answer= just came back and I am awed by the responses- thank you for taking the time to try to help. I will more diligent in the future.

I ask your indulgence as I try to answer the questions.. You have already given me things to think about.

Lulu- I have been a regular exerciser for years. I did not follow a plan, just did what felt right. About a year ago I decided to focus on the elliptical and worked up to 7 miles in an hour. A milestone for me. Did nothing for weight loss, but it was an achievement. Found I had lost a lot of strength so found a trained and are working her programs.

Glenn- good advice on mixing It up. The over working comment is due to the fact I don't see much strength gain- or weight loss.

Allan- I have always been fat- was 245, been at 220 for a couple years, Progress would be to get out of the OBESE range and be merely overweight. (not true- would like to be at 180). I sleep well, now trying two days off between weight workouts. No depression (I think, though the wife does say I am crabby)

4th - interesting thought on varying calories. like the comments.

Sam - my main goal in strength training is to be able to impress the grandkids.

Sweat- I feel like every workout I am at the point of exhaustion. current program takes about 70 minutes
    a 10 minute warmup- then supersets of 8 reps, repeated four times

DB bench w/65s
    goblet squat with 65

DB Bent over row w/55s
    DB Romanian deadlift with 60s

Military press using 80# curl bar
    leg lifts

followed by 6-8 HIT sessions (30 sec high, 60 sec rest) on a stationary bike, rower or elliptical.

Getting better but very slowly - taking two days off between sessions

Lean- I have struggled with diets my entire life- twice losing significant weight only to gain it back. Last I checked I was 33% body fat at 210 #, that's about 70 lbs of fat. Ideally I would like to keep the lean mass I have and lose 30 pounds. seems you can't do both...

People your feedback is much appreciated, thank you.

Len
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    lenkearney wrote: »

Allan- I have always been fat- was 245, been at 220 for a couple years, Progress would be to get out of the OBESE range and be merely overweight. (not true- would like to be at 180). I sleep well, now trying two days off between weight workouts. No depression (I think, though the wife does say I am crabby)

Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat. Focus on that.

Exercise should be focused on other fitness goals (strength, cardiovascular, endurance, mobility, balance, agility, speed). Yes, you burn some extra calories, but you really should eat those back, thereby fueling your next workout.