Exercising while sick

Options
What's your cut off? Meaning, when do you just say...umm, no, going to rest? I have been doing so well with gym consistency, and I hate to lose momentum. My wife is telling me to just come home, but I am still tempted to go. I have a sinus infection and an infected tooth (dentist tomorrow so no workout tomorrow). I don't think I have a fever (at work, no thermometer) so should I just go???

I apologize if there is already a thread like this,..

Replies

• jaykelso564
    jaykelso564 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I find that I feel better if I at lease do light exersize.. I normaly run, if I'm sick I might walk.. If I'm running a fever I don't think being in the gym is a very thoughtful thing to do to other and in my opion when we should do little as possible
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    True about the fever....not nice for the others there. Point taken, maybe just slow treadmill at home today LOL
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Any time you have any upper respiratory illness, you should not exercise until you are over it. Too taxing on the body to try to supply oxygen to itself while healing, much less increase your oxygen debt.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    Options
    Hmm...and I already have oxygen debt issues.....you could say I am in collections!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    yeah, definitely go home and rest.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Go home and rest. Rest is always the best way to heal faster. Also, infecting others because you feel like you should still work out is just not nice. :) I also agree with going slower when you have a respiratory issue. I'm 2 weeks past the start of my last cold and I could still feel it when I ran 5K yesterday afternoon. I got tired much more quickly than I should have.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    If I'm really sick I'll just work up to a couple heavy singles and call it a day. I have found that lifting heavy weights isn't difficult for me when I'm sick as long as I don't get out of breath.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    Options
    I went home. I don't want to get anyone else sick. If I want I can walk a little here. Thanks! I get stubborn sometimes.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I don’t go to the gym if I am contagious and I wish others would do the same. I also skip if I know I won’t get anything out of the workout (e.g., If I can’t breath due to congestion, I’m probably not going to get a good cardio or lifting session in.).
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I won't go to the gym if I am contagious - It's just rude. I will run either at the treadmill at home or outside at least 2 miles. I am on a 100+ day running streak. I am currently fighting off a cold and will get 2 miles in today no matter what.

Is it the smartest thing to do? Possibly not.