Grocery Shopping

Options
What do your grocery lists typically look like?

I need ideas for healthy dinners and lunches that I can take to work. So far all I have on my list is chicken, vegetables, and salad. That just seems so dull...

What are some healthy foods that you frequently get?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I eat yogurt (usually Noosa or 2% Fage w/honey) and cottage cheese (4%) frequently. Other than that, my main grocery items are meat, veggies, fruit, and Kashi bars (dark mocha almond and chocolate sea salt.) Oh, and milk (2% or whole) and eggs.
  • cpp_happy
    cpp_happy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Fruit
    Feta cheese to add to salads
    Pumpkin seeds to add to salads
    Balsalmic vinegar to make salad dressing
    Garlic and ginger to add to everything
    Cottage cheese
    Oatmeal
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I like to make a big pot of soup for lunches - loaded with vegetables!! Easy to throw together to make and to take with me every day. For snacks at work - I usually will also put in an apple (or some other fruit), carrots or celery, cheese stick or peanut butter, unsalted pretzels (I like to try to keep the sodium to a minimum), cottage cheese, or some combination of that. I did have a hard boiled egg today in my lunch/snack. Depends on what I have on hand, what I have already gone through or just what I am in the mood for. Dinners at my house, usually consist of a big salad, and then something else (chicken, or black bean burgers, or whatever - but with the big salad, it helps keep the portion control for whatever else I have for dinner with my family).
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have been successful cooking in batches. By that, I mean on Sunday I usually make a bunch of food that I can eat throughout the week. I generally don't have time to cook on the weeknights. On a Sunday, it's normal for me to grill 6-8 chicken breasts, make a pot of vegetable soup (with bison, chicken, or turkey) as well as grilling or roasting loads of veggies. The soup is usually for lunches and the meat/veggies are for dinner. I will either reheat the meat/veggies or eat them cold as part of a salad. I add variety with things like hardboilded eggs, cottage cheese, string cheese, nuts, and colorful fruit.
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    A favourite of mine: I take a couple of slices of turkey from the deli, spread it with mustard or mango chutney, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and roll it into a log.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    In the last week, my wife and I have made the following lunches: pastrami sandwiches on whole wheat bread with Swiss cheese and lettuce; Amy's frozen spinach pizza; hummus with pita bread and red pepper strips; turkey sandwiches (otherwise like the pastrami), lamb chops and pasta (leftovers from dinner), and probably something else I'm forgetting.

For dinner, I have cooked the following: Breton beans (navy beans with a sauce of tomatoes, onions, and garlic) and roast cauliflower; brown rice and lentil soup with ginger, garlic, green pepper, and celery; rack of lamb with mashed sweet potato; slow-cooker pork shoulder with juniper berries, served with roasted parsnips and steamed green beans; penne pasta with red and yellow peppers sautéed in olive oil and tossed with basil; and I forget what else. We'll often have a cheese course if the main is low on protein, and often a simple mixed green salad too.

I use the MFP recipe builder to create recipes and figure out how many calories each serving has.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You can stick with what you have always bought, just eat less of the same stuff. that way you save money and lose weight and eat what you enjoy
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Grocery list for me has lean meat (lean ground turkey, beef, lean pork), chicken breast, veggies, (fresh and frozen), fat free cheeses, yogurt (triple zero), bottle water, 2% milk, unsweet almond milk, oatmeal, fat free dressing, lot's of salad (and trimmings), raw veggies for the veggie plate, fresh fruit from produce, if I buy canned food it is sodium/fat free when available..

I cook in "bulk" for the entire week. This helps a great deal on the money spent on food and it is so convenient. Crock pot meals and casseroles most days of the week...
  • glitterrain70
    glitterrain70 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I steam a lot of my veggies. Usually I get asparagus, green beans, zucchini, squash. I get thin cut slices of chicken, pork or steak. I get egg whites, cottage cheese, canned beets, string cheese, almonds, fage yogurts, bottled water, reduced fat wheat thins, hummus, sweet potatoes, I have a protein drink (protizyme - I get the peanut butter cookie on amazon) almost every day and add cocoa powder and decaf instant coffee (1tsp.) get some milled flax seed, I also put a tablespoon of that in my protein drink. I also eat weight watchers Smart one meals. Hope that helps a bit :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Protein: salmon, cod, boneless chicken breasts, chicken thighs, ham steak, pork schnitzel, beef roast, eggs and egg whites, lean ground beef, lean ground turkey, chick peas, beans of various sorts, and lentils.

Vegetables: In the freezer, edamame, corn, beans, and peas. In the crisper onion, celery, carrot, bell peppers and whatever is freshest and on sale that week.

Fruits: In the freezer, mango, strawberry, blueberries. Apples, bananas and whatever is in season and on sale that week.

Carbohydrates: Rye bread for me, Villagio bread for hubby, any combination of potatoes, yam, sweet potato, or butternut squash. Whole grain basmati rice. Pasta. Cereals including square cut oats, oat flakes, Cheerios, Dragon's Blend cereal, and chia seeds.

Fats: flax oil, Becel margarine, unsalted butter, EVOO, and canola oils. Peanut butter!

Dairy: Greek yogurt, regular yogurt, single serving cottage cheese, 1% milk, low-fat cheddar cheese, feta, parmesan.

Snackies: Various nuts, roasted soybeans, crackers (finn crisp, Breton and Wasa).

My lunch is usually leftovers from the day before. You can change up your menu pretty fast with various roasting, braising, and sauce techniques.
  • Danni_peck
    Options
    I usually buy a lot of fruit, some grains, and I also get chicken and fish. I try to incorporate more vegetables as well, despite not liking them very much. As for snacks, I usually get protein bars or my protein powder.
  • vbenoit81
    Options
    Your grocery list may seem dull to you but if you are losing weight it is a great list. Besides food is just fuel, it does not have to be fun. I currently eat for lunch and dinner (I eat the same thing, only changing up the veggie) a boiled egg, half can of tuna, 3 oz of chicken, and a side of veggies. My other meal is either a protein shake with fruit or a bowl of fruit. You can always make veggies special; like cabbage steak, it is a slice of roasted cabbage and it is wonderful. Never-the-less, boring doesn't have to be forever, just while you are losing weight. Once you have reach your goal you still need to eat healthy but you don't have to be so strict.