Beat up by my hula hoop!

Options
hi all, so I got myself a weighed hula hoop yesterday as I've been told that it's brilliant for weight loss. I spent 50 minutes working out with it yesterday and an hour later I was covered in big purple bruises all down my left side. Has anyone else had this problem?

Replies

• darlantan85
    Options
    I had samething when i started hooping, after couple weeks that problem was gone.
    Start easily and give a time to that hoop and your body ;)
  • spannerlou84
    spannerlou84 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I was going to have another go today but I'm still to tender haha. I decided to hoop with out the hoop instead haha. Was a sight to see!!
  • AwesomeSauceTN
    AwesomeSauceTN Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on getting a dance hoop! I love hoop dance. I just started about a month and a half ago and I have lost 3 inches over my body and about 10 lbs. Its addictive and I've realized other emotional/mental/physical benefits besides the weight loss. Seriously, a life changer. I can't go a day without playing with it (:

About the bruises... :( Ouch! I know your pain but this is normal when beginning to waist hoop or when learning a new move. It is natural to over-exaggerate the move but you will realize that you do not have to push so hard to keep the hoop up. How heavy is your hoop? I'm using 100 psi
  • spannerlou84
    spannerlou84 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow that's amazing results!! I've only been able to use mine on the one day because I'm still very bruised and sore haha. I do love it though and it was really good fun and a great work out. I'm going to give it another try tomorrow though. I think my hoop is 2lb so it's not to heavy right? It's really good fun but when I've tried with the light hoops I just can't do it haha. X
  • doutri2
    doutri2 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Did you purchase your hoop at a discount or big box store? Does it come in pieces and have nubbies on the inside? That might be part of your problem.
    I would suggest either finding a local hoop maker (FB has directories) or purchasing a hoop from Etsy or Ebay. Most makers ship hoops.
    My friends who make are Sagitarius Hoops and Spinsidious Hoops- both on Etsy.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    That sounds like so much fun! (Except for the beating up part). I gotta get myself a hula hoop.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Why do they make them with nubs on the inside? What a terrible idea...
  • ginny92802
    ginny92802 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Sounds like fun. I think mine would end up looking like this though.

tumblr_mnn51zl7nJ1rimmqdo1_500.gif
  • lovematthewchristopher
    Options
    Never thought of hula hooping as an exercise, what a great way to lose weight and have fun at the same time.Something to think about!!!!
  • hoopstar5602
    hoopstar5602 Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am a hooper and have been hooping for 4 years. Please don't use the hoops with the nubs that are weighted. They are actually note safe and can hurt you internally. As for bruising, hooping on those spots is not recommended until they are healed. A previous poster recommended hoops from Etsy and I highly agree. You don't need a weighted hoop to get the benefits of hooping. A hoop from Etsy with tapes on them is weight enough. To get the full low down on hula hooping, aka hooping, visit hooping.org to read about a hoop that will be right for you. (Not a business, a community link.)