Moms who run... pls help

Options
I am brand new to running. Last night I joined up with a local running group doing a Couch to 5K program. I have never been so humiliated in my life. About 30 steps in to the run Mt. Floodmore broke loose and I peed my pants. I am thankful for the black pants I was wearing and the covering of the darkness of night (...although I'm sure I'm kidding myself that nobody noticed). Has anyone else suffered through this horrible experience? I love my 3 kids, but geesh, this "gift" is something I could do without. Seriously, is there any hope? Yes, I know about kegels. I also stopped drinking water over an hour before the run, pottied before I went, and even wore a pad (...past experiences with sneezing and trampolines warned me I should). I was so looking forward to starting up running and trying to run a 5K, but maybe I'm just not meant to be a runner. The next run with the group is Saturday morning. I'm afraid of the daylight! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• k1214
    k1214 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think Poise (I think that's how it's spelled) makes pads that might work better than a regular maxi pad. I discovered this gift of motherhood about 6 weeks after having my first. I was cleared to return to karate and during warm up jumping jacks... Fortunately I was also wearing black and ran to the bathroom. It was awful...and no one told me to expect that after having kids!!
  • khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I pee when I do jumping jacks. Two years after the fact (thanks to my almost-9 pound baby, who was a pound bigger than I should have delivered naturally-- thanks to my idiotic midwife, who guessed he was right around 7 pounds and told them I wouldn't need a C-section). Buy some pads. Do kegels. Always wear black.
  • kellypence
    kellypence Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Check around your area for a physical therapist that specializes in women's health. They can teach you how to strengthen your pelvic floor. Kegels are all well and good, but 40% of women don't do them correctly, even with detailed instructions. In the meantime, poise pads or another INCONTINENCE pad should help. Menstrual pads are not designed to stop urine, they don't absorb enough and they are too slow to absorb a urine leak. Might also check out "just go girl" pads, designed to be discreet in workout clothes. Good luck!
  • ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Try not drinking for much longer before the run, and go to the toilet right before you start and yes , wear a pad! I had to do some experimenting when i started running but im fine now thankfully. Dont know if muscles have improved or what !
  • clouded16
    clouded16 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am doing round 2 of couch to 5k and I have the same problem. 2 babies later, and I have no bladder control what so ever! Liners help, as well as limiting acid food and drinks which irritate the bladder, like coffee, tomatoes, fruits etc.
  • kalawhon
    kalawhon Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I pee when I do jumping jacks. Two years after the fact (thanks to my almost-9 pound baby, who was a pound bigger than I should have delivered naturally-- thanks to my idiotic midwife, who guessed he was right around 7 pounds and told them I wouldn't need a C-section). Buy some pads. Do kegels. Always wear black.

What she said.. and practice at home maybe?..
    This too has happened to me.. ugh! Suppose to deliver a 7lb, came out 2 cm away from 10lbs delivering NATURALLY... AH.. the Struggle is real..
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Black shorts. Always wear black shorts.
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I also had problems with incontinence during exercising, running, jumping jacks, etc. I went to my gyno who recommended biofeed back with a physical therapist who specializes in urinary and womens issues. ( I did not want surgery or meds) I went once a week for several weeks learning the right way to do kegals. Do the kegals daily, and build up the length of time you can hold the squeeze. Avoid caffenine and alcohol, both can irritate the bladder. Void the bladder at minumum every 2 hours. Get plenty of fiber to ensure you move the bowls regularly. Not doing so can cause undue pressure on the bladder. I also noticed personally that 5 days before my period would be the worst, I couldnt hold my bladder at all. Apparently the hormonal fluctuation during that pre-menstral time of the month would weaken my pelvic floor mucscles even more. Being aware of these things helped me, but did not cure me. I wear a pantyliner daily just to be on the safe side.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    My son is 6 and I have to be VERY careful working out using any jump type moves. Always wear black. Poise pads are made for bladder issues and seem to work better than a regular pad.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    hmmm, I'd suggest talking to your Dr, ruling out anything wrong maybe kegels or other pelvic floor exercises as mentioned. panty liners.. I have to say I thankfully haven't experienced this - 4 kids here -
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    This happened to me a little in the months after I had my son and started working out. But it happened far more when I started working out again after having been totally sedentary and morbidly obese for a couple of years. Now I have no issues and it did get rapidly better as I lost weight and got fitter.

What I'm saying is, go to the doctor, and/or wear the pads, and/or find whatever it takes to help the problem because being sedentary and gaining weight could make it worse.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I had no idea that could happen to young mothers. I thought incontinence didn't occur until you were much older. I've got 2 toddlers and no issues. Is this only from babies born vaginally? Both of mine were sections. Curious because I run and am thinking about a 3rd baby.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I had no idea that could happen to young mothers. I thought incontinence didn't occur until you were much older. I've got 2 toddlers and no issues. Is this only from babies born vaginally? Both of mine were sections. Curious because I run and am thinking about a 3rd baby.

mine were all vaginal. I don't think it "just happens" I have always done kegels, pregnant or not and have always lifted heavy. maybe I'm just lucky, but I wouldn't let this possibility deter you from another kiddo.
  • khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    Options

In my case, it wouldn't have happened if my son hadn't been much too large for my body. It does a lot of damage to have a child naturally if your body just can't handle it.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    My 2nd was a 10 pounder, but I was super fat with him so I'm thinking I supported him ok. lol. If I have another it would have to be another section since my babies just won't come out. Plus at 37, overweight, and with 2 prior sections my doctor told me I'm not a candidate for a vbac. I did try that with my last one but when he was 10lbs and I was past my due date they told me they were scheduling me for another section. My first section was an emergency after 27 hours in labor....ggrrrr. just thinking about it makes me not want another baby.

Sorry to threadjack, but I've got babies on the brain.
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    May I ask how old your kids are? If they are still young this might get better with exercises. But unfortunately I hear this becomes more common the older we get. So far I haven't had this problem but all 3 of my kids were c-sections so I don't know if that factors in as someone mentioned above.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Have you been checked for partial prolapse?
  • ttcbelieve
    ttcbelieve Posts: 181 Member
    Options

I don't think it affects C-Section mothers
  • mamabellyjelly
    mamabellyjelly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Thanks so much for your responses! I'm actually a bit relieved to hear that I'm not the only one who has this. So, thank you for sharing! I will look into Poise and the "Just Go Girl" pads -- thanks for the info.

whouwannabe: Thanks for the info! I do kegels, but maybe I'm not doing them right? I never knew there were PTs for urinary/women's issues. This is something I will ask my ob-gyn about. Thank you for pointing out about your issue with pms hormones. That could definitely have something to do with last night.

jolinia: I agree that being sedentary and overweight has made this worse in my case! It gives me hope that it will get better as my weight continues to come off and my level of fitness increases. Since joining MFP in Dec. I've lost about 10 lbs and am no longer officially "overweight" on the charts. I'm hoping to lose another 10 lbs. though and continue to increase my fitness level. Thanks for your response.

littleworm: My kids range in age from 11 -6. I'm 41. So, I'm sure my lack of exercise, increase in weight, and age are all contributing. Ugh... At least I can do something about my weight and exercise, though.

carrieendar:I had my annual ob appointment a few months back and was told everything was good. I never brought up my issue with running because I wasn't running then.

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    did they do a full pelvic exam? (up both tubes? eeek sorry to gross anyone out lol) i know sometimes, since the pap smear guidelines have changed, sometimes they only do the full one every 2-3 years depending on which schedule you are on. Definitely bring it up next time because even a little bit can cause issues (eitheruterine or bladder /rectal side) and many times it is not diagnosed right away especially with swelling and whatnot that can last 6 months after birth or even later -- esp because women sometimes are afraid to mention the peeing with activity thing :)

edited to add- also, sometimes you can have some prolapse and its not considered to be a big deal unless the doc also knows you are peeing with motions like running.