where's your fat???

Options
reddcat
reddcat Posts: 314 Member
Hi guys! Been trying to stalk other people's sites, but taking too long and not always productive. Been trying to figure out where to get healthy fats. I use olive oil and eat peanut butter every day, but am finding that I am typically short on fat unless I eat something that I shouldn't. I admit I am a very picky eater....but very open to suggestions. So, what do you eat that has fat??? thanks!!
Lisa

Replies

• RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    Almond butter :)
  • JenFerguson1
    JenFerguson1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    any kind of nuts! They are delicious and filled with healthy fat. Just a very small amount had a large amount of fat so try them! They're good for you too:)
  • jennro7781
    jennro7781 Posts: 208
    Options
    I eat eggs, nuts and meat but I rarely go over my fat requirement either.
  • Cindio
    Cindio Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    A really good book to read is the Flat Belly Diet. It talks a lot about fats that are essential in your diet. It talks a lot about the eating the right oils, olives, nuts and seeds, avocados and dark chocolate. I haven't really gotten to the diet part, but the 1st half of the book was very informative!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Avocado, extra virgin olive oil, unsalted almonds. I never go over my fat requirement either.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about being under on fat!
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    avocado!
  • wendix
    wendix Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    nuts, eggs, cheese and meat... but i hardly ever reach my fat requirement unless i eat junk like biscuits. don't necessarily view that as a bad thing as long as i'm getting enough of other things..
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil & macadamia nuts
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    everything has fat in it. you shouldn't really be trying to meet your fat intake. dietitians have a formula to work out how much fat you should be consuming on a daily basis based on weight, lifestyle etc. but generally it's around 35g, and even then they say that's a bit high.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I know every one has different opions on this... but I have a friend who is a personal trainer, and she said that most women should only eat about 20g of fat a day - which can be really hard... but to keep it under 30 - that she lost 16lbs a month for 2 or 3 months in a row this way - Before Easter I was keeping my fats to about 20g a day and had lost 11lbs in 2 weeks - I've put a good chunk of that back on during easter week, and have taken all but 2.5 lbs back off since then... but point being... I think MFP way overestimates how much fat you need in a day... I have another trainer friend who said to eat 50% calories from carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fat... I think MFP gives you at least 30% fat...

But if you are wanting more healthy fats, nuts, avacodos, coconut, fish (while most are low in fat, the fat they do have is healthy fat) Olive Oil, Olives, etc are good sources of fat.
  • veggeslady
    veggeslady Posts: 64
    Options
    A really good book to read is the Flat Belly Diet. It talks a lot about fats that are essential in your diet. It talks a lot about the eating the right oils, olives, nuts and seeds, avocados and dark chocolate. I haven't really gotten to the diet part, but the 1st half of the book was very informative!

My dr recommended this book. I still need to read it but check it out!!
  • Cindio
    Cindio Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It's a good book! Very informative and it really teaches you the difference between good fats and bad fats. I highly recommend it as well!
  • Perizad
    Perizad Posts: 2
    Options
    Hemp seed is amazing...Sprinkle some in your oatmeal, on your salads, in your grains... Its incredibly high in Omegas and essential fatty acids.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Extra virgin olive oil, Sesame tahini, avocado, eggs, lean meats, salmon, nuts and seeds, part-skim mozzarella.
  • CLA2801
    CLA2801 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Extra virgin olive oil, Sesame tahini, avocado, eggs, lean meats, salmon, nuts and seeds, part-skim mozzarella.

Yep- most of these are part of my menu too!

I'll also eat boneless, skinless chicken thighs and I used a few tsp. of coconut oil a day.