Worried about my excessive eating and weight gain?

Options
Hi everyone,

I am a post-anorexic female 18 years old, and I am 5ft 2" and weigh 114 pounds. I have been really struggling with my eating as I just CAN'T STOP and seem to be eating constantly and consuming up to 2500-3000 calories a day. I am so scared as my weight keeps going up and up - I have gained 10 pounds in the past 2 weeks!!!

I am so confused about how many calories I should eat as when I restrict to around 1400 calories I start to feel cold and sluggish and depressed.

I don't know what to do or how much I should eat and the professional eating disorder services just see I am a currently a healthy weight so they discharged me and told me I don't have a problem but I do! and I am starting to get fed up and want to give up- I am very scared of gaining any more. :(

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    Are you seeing a therapist/nutritionist? They'll be the ones who can help you.
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    When you're recovering from an ED, it's really hard to objectively decide when/ how to restrict. I know where you're coming from, though, I struggled with bulimia as a college student, and once you're no longer underweight or actively purging, some programs don't know what to do with you.

Can you find another therapist or nutritionist with experience with eating disorder recovery? I think that would be safest because it's really hard to diet on your own when you tend to develop food issues, and so close to recovery, I can't even imagine attempting it.
  • Iccleamelia
    Iccleamelia Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    malibu927: No, I am not :( I was just discharged last week as they said I was no longer underweight so they discharged me.

callie006: I'm sorry to hear that you've had trouble in the past. And yes, I know exactly what you mean - you absolutely have no idea which way to turn.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There are some great calorie (TDEE) calculators out there that should give you an ideal calorie count for maintenance based on your age, activity level, height and weight. I'm betting you're looking at around 1700-1800 but it's best to get a good number, log your food to stay as close to it as possible and watch the scale to validate. If the scale is moving steadily up or down (not fluctuating on a daily basis which is normal) then you can adjust the calorie goal accordingly.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I've had EDNOS for 17 years and struggled to be super thin at 118lbs. I'm now a healthy 153lbs, and can maintain easily.
    If your body now wants to eat constantly, really add in those fruits and veggies. They're filling and will ease your mind a little. If you notice a certain type of food you're craving (sweets, carbs, meat, salt) it could be your body is missing vitamins and nutrients even though you have been in treatment.
  • Iccleamelia
    Options
    SueInAz: I have looked at some online calculators and they say I should be on about 1700 - so you are right :) however I do not eat near this much a day on average; more like 1400, which I gained half a stone on. It's all so confusing! :(

Kojiro44705: Well done on your recovery! And yes, I go though phases though like I used to eat a lot of yoghurts and apples; now I tend to crave cereal and milk in particular - perhaps my body is lacking protein and the vitamins added to certain cereals?
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Did they just discharge you, without any follow-up support? Oo
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I crave cereal too. That's kind if interesting. Maybe it's the years of torment on your bones that your body is craving calcium?
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I am in recovery for my eating disorder currently. Just because you were discharged from a program doesn't mean you shouldn't continue to see someone. I am not involved in any programs, but I do see a therapist, a nutritionist, a general doc and a psychiatrist on a regular basis and they all talk to each other. My nutritionist is working to get me to eat first, but then she will give me the right foods to eat and I will have a calorie goal to hit. Right now I am just trying to have three eating moments a day. My therapist works with me on the other side of the disorder, why we do it. My psychiatrist makes sure that I am staying on track and its not making my emotions spiral out of control, and the regular doc checks blood work regularly as I add more food into my daily life.

Its not easy on your own. I tried to do it on my own the last time I was hospitalized with it. But, it didn't work. You need support. So, I would suggest seeing what your insurance will cover and go from there. Try to get a team together to help walk with you through recovery, its not easy.
  • Iccleamelia
    Options
    Arliah: Unfortunately yes :(

MegahMoroz89: Yes, basically :( the person I was seeing once a week was leaving so the service have just left me to it - I feel so helpless it's as if I am not worthy of help because I am no longer underweight :( I walk daily to and from uni but nothing other than that exercise wise.

Kojiro44705: A very good point! and yes it is interesting - maybe calcium supplements would help?

NaomiLyn15: I am sorry you are struggling, yes it is very hard :( When I was gaining my weight back I had hardly any guidance and my dietician just told me to count my calories and gave me no nutritional advice. I was completely messed around and now it turns out that I haven't really recovered at all. It is even harder when you are already weight restored :(
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    That being said, I just did a quick calculation (just google TDEE calculator and some will come up), and I put you at zero exercise because you didn't mention if you do or not, and it came out with to stay the weight that you're at you should eat about 1500 calories a day. If you exercise, you can eat more than this a day and not gain any weight.
    1500 is low for someone in recovery. And exercise can be really dangerous, depending on where she is in recovery.

OP, I believe that uncontrollable hunger is normal in recovery. You really do need to be seeing a therapist and a doctor on a regular basis, though. Have you seen this site? http://www.youreatopia.com/ It has a lot of good information on ED issues.

Here is a post they did on uncontrollable hunger: http://www.youreatopia.com/blog/2012/5/22/extreme-hunger-what-is-it.html
  • christinehuds
    christinehuds Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It could be that after a time of starvation (I'm not sure how long you struggled with anorexia), your brain is now in evolutionary survival instinct mode -- which means it's telling you to eat EVERYTHING just in case you happen upon another starvation situation again. After a prolonged calorie deficit or period of starvation, your brain's evolutionary instinct will kick in and, to keep you alive, will constantly send signals to eat, even if you're not hungry.

I lost about 70 pounds in a period of six months by eating at a huge calorie deficit and exercising. My body put up with that for a while, then it shut down. I stopped losing weight. I tried eating even less to lose more weight, and about 2 weeks after restricting calories even more, I got the most intense cravings. I COULD NOT stop eating. I CRAVED cereal too! I would eat an entire box in a sitting, even. I ate meals or large snacks every 60-90 minutes.

The book Brain Over Binge by Kathryn Hansen really helped me get a handle on eating sensibly again, without restricting. I'm sorry you've struggled with an eating disorder. I hope you find help and peace. For now, give your body the nourishment it needs! The book can be a helpful tool for you to re-learn how to eat when you're hungry and stop when you're satisfied.

Best of luck!
  • Iccleamelia
    Options
    AliceDark: Yes I have read the youreatopia website inside out and back to front, but it just doesn't seem right to me as the 3000+ calories a day she recommends seems way too much. I am also a healthy weight now, so I doubt 1500 is at all too low. I want to believe it, I really do, it just seems that I will become overweight if I eat that much seeing as so many people have recovered fine without taking such measures. Just out of curiosity - do you know anyone who has used Gwen's methods and become successful?

Christinehuds: I do exactly that and feel physically and emotionally terrible afterwards. I am sorry you have gone through this, too :( thank you for the book recommendation - I will look into that :) I hope it will allow me to become stable with my eating and weight.
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said here, please find a therapist. Call your inpatient treatment and tell them you need to be seeing a therapist and a nutritionist, who are people in the area you can see. Please don't get dissuaded by feeling like you've been dropped in cold water - it sounds like they discharged you without really setting up a support network for you. All or nothing behaviours are incredibly common for people with EDs, so you aren't alone. Did they pretty much just do supervised eating while you were in treatment? I know some of them are very bare bones just for weight gain.

Are you eating 3-4 meals a day on days you eat about 1400c a day and not doing any sort of restrictive practices? I really, really would suggest getting into therapy ASAP. So sorry you're struggling, but don't give up even if you feel overwhelmed right now!
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Arliah: Unfortunately yes :(
    That's crazy and dangerous! What a crappy program oO
    If you can, please go and get some support while you are going through this transition. Wishing you all the best! *hug*

• Iccleamelia
    edited February 2015
    Options
    LavenderLeaves: You're right. To have support withdrawn like that has made me feel quite isolated. And yes, they did - it really hasn't helped me pick up any good habits around food - it seems to have encouraged me to constantly put a number on things insted of just eating healthy. I have tried everything - if I restrict, I'm hungry and if I eat 3-4 meals a day, I'm hungry. I just can't win! :( ether way I end up bingeing! And thank you!

Arliah: I know :( I didn't get much help in the weight restoration period either so I guess that kind of programme I was on was all I knew. Thank you! *hug back*
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, I hope this question isn't inappropriate, but it is something I've always wondered about. .
    Anorexic people eat next to nothing, right? What gives them the drive? Do they have super human willpower to ignore cravings and hunger signals? Not all anorexics binge and purge? ? I know being super skinny is the bottom line, is this enough for them to ignore all their bodily signals?
    Obviously I'm clueless about this, just trying to get a better understanding xx
  • Iccleamelia
    Options
    christinev297: um well I think every condition is different. In my experience I just got into a comfortable routine of eating an apple for breakfast, no lunch, and whatever mum made for tea. It is not about "superhuman willpower" but more about once you get to an unhealthy low weight you feel depressed and you can't get out of the downward spiral. Eating becomes EMOTIONALLY unbearable, they feel as if they are fat if they eat more that they want to allow themselves. I for one loved food whilst anorexic still, but I just don't like what it 'does to me.' Not all anorexics binge and purge - I never did. But the definition on anorexia nervosa is loss of appetite due to severe emotional disturbance. Therefore anorexia (or any ED for that matter) usually has some other underlying cause or 'trigger.' Hope that answers your question.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It has, thanks for taking the time to explain.
    Wishing you the best of health for your future :heart: