Fitbit Making Me Fat?

Options
Before I purchased my Fitbit charge, I was under the impression that I couldn't eat more then maybe 1850 calories a day or I'd gain weight.

Fast forward a couple months and all I'm doing is gaining. Fitbit tells me I burn about 2030 calories a day!!! So instead of eating less I eat more. 2030 calories a day is a decent amount and I STILL eat too much!!!!

It's like seeing it makes it OK. :((( This sucks!!

Replies

• marcolbmp
    marcolbmp Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have only read about fit bit, but it appears that it may only be good for counting steps. I wouldn't put my faith in the caloric burn aspect. Even with a heart rate monitor with chest strap, I would factor in a 20% fudge factor. Check out Scoobys Workshop dot com and go to the fitness tools on the right to find your true caloric needs. Just my 2 cents though.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    So don't eat the 2030 calories Fitbit tells you? I'm guessing the Charge works much like the rest of Fitbit's products and gives you a ballpark figure of your TDEE based on the numbers you input on the website. If you want, take a percentage off the 2030 (like 10%) and eat that amount for a few weeks to see if you start losing weight. Or go with what MFP says to eat for weight loss.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Before I purchased my Fitbit charge, I was under the impression that I couldn't eat more then maybe 1850 calories a day or I'd gain weight.

Fast forward a couple months and all I'm doing is gaining. Fitbit tells me I burn about 2030 calories a day!!! So instead of eating less I eat more. 2030 calories a day is a decent amount and I STILL eat too much!!!!

It's like seeing it makes it OK. :((( This sucks!!

OP, I don't know what exercise you do and neither do I know anything about FitBit but here is a small incident that may help you realize of what just might be going on.

I sometimes run with my one friend. I have higher end GPS watch that tracks the miles I run - accurate.
    My friend who is not a runner joins me on short runs and one time she clipped her fitbit to her bra.

At the end of the run my GPS gave the data saying it was 3.5 Miles run. Ours was supposed to be a 3.5 Mile run.

Her FitBit displayed she ran/walked/covered (I don't know exact term - Like I said I don't know much about Fitbit) 4.2 Miles.

Hope you are able to find some answer to your puzzle.
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    When I had my flex, I found I had to delete my fitbit calorie adjustment. I immediately stalled out on my weight loss when I started allowing fitbit to control my calories. Marc is right, use it as an activity tracker and not a calorie counter.
  • rjrobert
    rjrobert Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Just remember that a fitbit has no understanding about your true stride length, turn over rate or metabolic fitness. It is basically a high tech pedometer that try's to take some guesses. I wouldn't use it as a testament to all things health. That said, I am addicted to mine and except for recharging it once a week it's never off of my wrist. I literally don't go to bed until it says 10,000.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I ignore my Fitbit when it tells me I haven't eaten enough. Mine's just a Zip so it's not a HRM. Anyway, don't forget you need to subtract 500 calories a day from what you burn to get your 3500 calorie deficit for 1lb a week loss, so eat 1500 a day. 2030 is what, in theory, you need to eat to maintain.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    From looking at your diary, it doesn't look like you use a food scale. If not, it's likely you are eating more calories than you think.

(also, sidenote: totally giggled at your Sunday Feb 15 entries. that's my kinda day!!)
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    If you burn 2030 a day and eat 2030 a day = maintain your current weight. To lose weight, eat less than you burn. Seems straightforward enough.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Unfortunately any method you use to determine your daily calories burned is going to be an estimate. You just have to try to estimate as accurately as possible. The benefit of a Fitbit (compared to other methods) is that it considers each day's activities in determining it's estimate. Clearly, though, it's estimate is a little too high for you.

You could enter into MFP that you want to lose 1/2 pound per week. This will set your daily calorie target to be 250 cals less than what your fitbit says. Perhaps this will give you a more accurate daily estimate whilst still allowing it to be flexible depending on how active you were. ie you wont actually lose any weight - it will just reduce Fitbit's estimate to make it more accurate.

To lose weight you need to reduce your calories even more. Want to lose 1/2 pound a week ? then tell MFP that you want to lose 1 pound per week. The first 1/2 pound will just be to make the fitbit estimate more accurate. The other 1/2 pound will give you a 250 cal daily deficit so that you lose weight.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    You can easily set your stride length with Fitbit. The default on mine when I bought it was for someone 6' tall. I'm 5'2" so the distance I was covering was way off, until I adjusted the stride length and other personal info.

I've found Fitbit to be very accurate as long as I log meticulously. I tested it for several months last summer and every week it was spot on to the amount of weight I lost.

But, when I drive school bus it gives me 4,000 unearned "steps" that I have to manually remove.

55835802.png
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I try to stay at least 200-300 calories lower than my estimate for each day and I have been losing weight. And while it seems to be working for me, it isn't unreasonable to think that it could be overestimating YOUR calorie burn. I would take the suggestions of scaling back a percentage.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Zx14chick wrote: »
    I try to stay at least 200-300 calories lower than my estimate for each day and I have been losing weight. And while it seems to be working for me, it isn't unreasonable to think that it could be overestimating YOUR calorie burn. I would take the suggestions of scaling back a percentage.

It's not overestimating, it's giving her her TDEE. So yes she needs to eat fewer calories to lose.
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I also checked out your diary and I am unsure whether you are allowing Fitbit to upload for the earned exercise calories, but I see that you are either running really close or over your calorie goal each day. I don't intend at all to sound mean, but am trying to be helpful. You must eat at a calorie deficit in order to lose weight so you will want to get lower. You are welcome to check out my diary if you are interested. I often (like just a few minutes ago!) fit in the foods I want to eat in my calorie goal so I don't feel deprived and end up eating an entire bag of chips (man I love chips!).
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Like others have posted, you do not eat the full calorie amount the fitbit gives you if you want to lose weight. You would need to reduce that number by 500 calories per day to lose one pound per week. You can use MFP to give you a daily calorie goal, based on your current weight and weekly goals, or you can go here to calculate one.

If you are still hungry at the end of the day, you might want to try incorporating more lean proteins, fruits and veggies into your diet. It has meant success for me. I could not do this eating smaller, high calorie meals and snacks(I noticed that from your diary). Instead, I eat around six-seven times a day, and usually have some calories left at the end of the day for a treat.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I take it you have altered the setting in your fitbit as a weightloss goal?

Also if you are not weighing your food your probably eating more than you think.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Less spoons and cups and get out the scales.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I HAD a fitbit flex - the worst thing I ever spent a $100 on. Tracking steps - only if you swing your arms; mileage - not even close; sleep - what a waste. My advice - toss the Fitbit and go back to your prior eating plan.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    redheaddee wrote: »
    If you burn 2030 a day and eat 2030 a day = maintain your current weight. To lose weight, eat less than you burn. Seems straightforward enough.

Yeah, this.

If it's messing with you mentally, stop using it.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are underestimating the calories of what you eat. weight your food.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    No one's mentioned it but are you logging your food accurately? Are you weighing all solids measuring liquids and using accurate entries off the database? It;s very easy for this to slip and would always be my first call. Looking at your diary I can see numerous inaccuracies. Generic entries of other people recipes. (How do you know that someone else's recipe for Macaroni cheese is the same as yours). 1 banana? How big is the banana my average banana is around 150g so at least 50 calories more than your generic banana entry. Get your logging sorted because your eating far more than you think then if your still not losing adjust your fitbit estimates. This thread will help and good luck

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide