Ground turkey

Options
my family is very picky. We only eat ground turkey and boneless chicken breast. I need som new ground turkey meal ideas!!!

Replies

• kailibertsch
    kailibertsch Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    This is what I took out to make tonight! I will be watching this thread for ideas as well!
  • alana_natalie
    alana_natalie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Chili, Ground turkey lettuce wraps, with ground turkey burgers the options for additions are pretty much endless. I like sautéed mushrooms and smashed avocado on a grilled portobello instead of a bun.
  • __Jackie__
    __Jackie__ Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    ground turkey meatballs, with whatever kind of sauce you choose. I make a buffalo sauce with hotsauce.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    mmbleb wrote: »
    my family is very picky. We only eat ground turkey and boneless chicken breast. I need som new ground turkey meal ideas!!!

That is sad, so much bland and dryness
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

Solid contribution!!!!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My favourite ground turkey chili:
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463845484944/
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Love love love ground turkey. I use it where I would normally use ground beef.

Made "stuffed pepper soup" a few nights ago.

Brown 1# ground turkey in a soup pot, remove turkey and set aside. Drain most of the fat (depending on how much was left).

Over medium heat (with the small amount of fat remaining), add 1 diced medium yellow onion, 1 diced green bell pepper, and 1 medium diced red bell pepper.

Allow to soften (3-5 minutes) and add 2 minced garlic cloves. Allow to cook 1 more minute.

To the pot add 2 (14.5 oz) cans petite diced tomatoes (look for low-sodium or no salt added), 16 oz. tomato sauce (same thing as previous), and 1 14.5 oz. can low-sodium beef stock.

Add cooked ground turkey back in with 2.5 T. chopped fresh parsley, 1 T. chopped fresh basil, 1 tsp dried oregano and salt and pepper (to taste).

I cook rice separately and add the soup to the cooked rice. This way the rice won't get mushy when I put it in the fridge (I always have leftovers) and because I enjoy a different type of rice than my white-rice eating boyfriend.

Without the rice, for 6 servings, your nutritional information is: 246 calories, 10 g. fat, 16 g. carbs (2 g. fiber, 10 g. sugars), 19 g. protein
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I made this Indian-style curry with ground turkey last night and it was delicious. http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/curried_ground_turkey_with_potatoes/

This bbq chicken quinoa casserole is also good and can be made with turkey instead of chicken http://fabtasticeats.com/2014/06/10/bbq-chicken-quinoa-bake/

This Greek-style quinoa casserole is also nice and I add ground chicken or turkey to it to increase the protein amount. http://cookingwithcakes.com/cheesy-greek-style-baked-quinoa/

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Rage_Phish wrote: »

Solid contribution!!!!!

Likewise

• SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Also, the "Savory Chicken Meatballs with Zucchini Pasta" recipe on the following link might be my favorite meal.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/winning-healthy-recipe-of-the-fitmencookoff.html#one

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I agree with others you can do so many things with ground turkey. Burgers, chili, soup, spaghetti and lettuce wraps. I also season it to make bulk sausage. I have made Italian, cajun green onion and chorizo. I find you can cut a lot of sodium making your own sausage. I still buy link sausage too. But when I need loose sausage I make my own. Another tip you can add lime zest and a little mayo to your turkey burgers and they will be very moist and tasty. Here are some links of recipes I have made.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/10/low-sodium-italian-sausage-soup.html

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/10/thai-turkey-burgers.html

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/10/turkey-picadillo-lettuce-wraps.html
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/twinkles2121/view/turkey-spinach-lasanga-680610

I posted this one a while back, but it's still one of DH's favs. Ground turkey is so versatile, it's only as bland as you allow it to be.
  • TuesdayLucero
    TuesdayLucero Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My favorite turkey chili recipe. It's very hearty- Mostly meat/bean and less sauce and the chipotles add a great smokey flavor. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/30-minute-turkey-chili-recipe.html
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Rage_Phish wrote: »

Solid contribution!!!!!

Likewise

damn, burnsauce
  • mmbleb
    mmbleb Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I now have a new list and it's much appreciated!!
  • jessjess210
    jessjess210 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I made an Indian ground turkey masala with chopped kale.

Heat 2 T oil on medium
    Add 2 tsp cumin seeds, cook 30 seconds
    Add 1 medium finely chopped onion, cook until it's brown and caramelized.
    Add 3 cloves of garlic, minced and about an inch of ginger peeled and minced. Cook 30 seconds
    Add 2 lbs ground turkey and cook til browned.
    Season with 1 tsp each of turmeric, coriander powder, cumin powder, and 1/4 tsp cayenne. Salt to taste...about 2 tsp
    Throw in 2 bunches of dinosaur kale, roughly chopped. Cover and let the steam wilt the kale.
    Add 8 oz of tomato sauce. Cover and simmer on low about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Just had some today over rice and some plain yogurt to cool it down. It came out to about 40 calories an ounce, using 93/7 turkey
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Greek turkey meatloaf
    - Ground turkey
    - Greek seasoning (mint, oregano, garlic)
    - Finely diced (I use my foodprocessor) mushrooms and onions, sautéed
    - Egg
    - Breadcrumbs/oatmeal/whatever binder you want to use

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl, press into a loaf tin and bake in a 180 degree (celsius) oven for 30 (small loaf) - 60 (big loaf) minutes, until cooked through. Serve with tzatziki!

Turkey burgers with cranberry sauce: simply make patties (I sometimes add some rosemary), fry in a pan with a little non-stick cooking spray and top with the cranberry sauce! (or place in a bun with brie cheese.. :blush: )

Turkey chili:
    - Ground turkey
    - Red onion
    - Black or white beans
    - Butternut squash
    - Bell pepper
    - Tomato paste
    - Canned tomatoes
    - Cinnamon, paprika, cumin, chili, cilantro

Sautée the onion until starting to soften, add bell pepper, butternut squash, turkey and spices and fry for a couple of minutes. Add tomato paste, give it all a good stir, then add the canned tomatoes. Let simmer for about an hour or so, or at least until the squash is cooked through. Add the beans about 5 mins before serving to heat through. Top with fresh coriander and serve as it is or over rice.
  • SpnkyBns
    SpnkyBns Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ground Turkey Meatloaf! I know, I know meatloaf...but I saute up some small diced carrot, celery, onion and mushrooms and put it in the meatloaf. Makes it very moist and tasty!
  • _celesse
    _celesse Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Tacos! I only use ground turkey in tacos now because it's cheap and I'm lazy lmao. You can do a homemade taco seasoning to get rid of a lot of the sodium usual tacos have. I also like to do turkey burgers~~ As for chicken I usually just eat it with a couple side veggies/salad but also will make some chicken and spinach alfredo with egg noodles soon :) No recipes here, 'cept you can google for taco seasoning recipes and see which you like best.