Losing weight with PCOS

Options
Is anyone familiar with this condition? I lost about 15 pounds (fairly easily) but now I've hit a wall. No amount of exercise will help me lose weight. I have heard that in order to get past this wall, I have to be extremely strict with what I eat. Problem is, I'm also struggling with a food addiction... dairy and bread are my weaknesses and I can't seem to stay away from them.

Any motivation/tips/insights would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of women with PCOS in these forums and most of them have said they have been told they should be eating a diet lower in carbohydrates to lose weight. You may find that's the way you need to go, too. The good thing about that is you'd need to pretty much cut out bread so you wouldn't be tempted by it as much.

There are low carb forums here and you may even find one specific to PCOS.
  • rayrayfitz
    rayrayfitz Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have lost 3st 9lb without cutting carbs. I'm now trying to cut them and up my protein. It's probably a logging problem, do you weigh your food? Do you ever cheat? If thE answer in no then you must be in deficit and you will lose weight eventually it just takes longer and more determination and consistency. Good luck, feel free to add me if you want. X
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    PCOS is considered a metabolic syndrome, and a high-protein&fat/low carb diet is often recommended by medical professionals
  • elleykat
    elleykat Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you have to lose? Also a PCOS sufferer here, and SOME women with PCOS have issues with their insulin receptors, others don't. If you do, a low carb diet may be the way to go (or you could talk to your doc about Metformin, which is a diabetes drug that helps with the insulin issue). Note that low carb mostly means way reducing the amount of refined carbs and sugar you eat - you want to make sure you're eating plenty of low glycemic index fruit, veggies, enough fiber, etc. :)
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS last year. There are a few groups on MFP that will be helpful for you. Additionally, I recommend working with your endocrinologist as well as a nutritionist to develop a plan that will work for you and your PCOS.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Yup. No need to ditch the dairy, but you may find you need to reduce carbs. Everyone is different on that front. I eat moderate carbs (around 90-100g a day), most of it coming from fruit and veggies.

But the first thing to do is check your logging accuracy.
  • rachelem89
    Options
    How much weight do you have to lose? Also a PCOS sufferer here, and SOME women with PCOS have issues with their insulin receptors, others don't. If you do, a low carb diet may be the way to go (or you could talk to your doc about Metformin, which is a diabetes drug that helps with the insulin issue). Note that low carb mostly means way reducing the amount of refined carbs and sugar you eat - you want to make sure you're eating plenty of low glycemic index fruit, veggies, enough fiber, etc. :)

Spot on. I couldnt shift so much as a pound whilst consuming refined/starchy carbohydrates. I switched to a very low carb (20-50g a day) moderate protein & high fat diet 12 months ago and have lost 84lbs since. I eat a huge amount of food and still lose 2-3lbs a week. Metformin didn't work for me at all, but cutting my sugar intake to under 10g a day (hard, but can be done!) has worked brilliantly. Research the LCHF diet plans if you're interested. Taking up weightlifting has also helped, as it has helped drop my bodyfat but maintain muscle.
  • doobzflo
    Options
    Thank you all for your feedback! Are there any other options than weighing your food and calorie counting? It seems really tedious! What are meals that you usually eat?

And another thing... what do you do about self control????
  • K8cain
    K8cain Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Brilliant!! I just started back in January to lose about 60lbs and have been diligent with my calorie intake (a cheat meal once a week) and working out with a training group and have barely lost 4lbs in 2 months.....was so discouraged today.....then saw this post and remembered....Oh yeah "I" have PCOS!!! That may be part of my issue.....had never heard of the low carb/high protein/fat diet for it!!! Excited to have something that may kick start this process!! Biggest issue for me is breakfast.....any favorites for meal with this combo...(the easier/quicker the better)!!!
  • vgreen350
    vgreen350 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with carbs right now and I have PCOS. What are some PCOS friendly recipes you guys would recommend?
  • angelapiekutowski621
    Options
    Following this. I seem to be all over the place with my weight loss and I too have PCOS.
  • asm2014
    asm2014 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    PCOS is definitely tough. I too have PCOS and have lowered the amount of carbohydrates that I eat.. I only eat one type of carb a day, be it bread, rice, pasta or potatoes. I'm a huge carbo-holic!!I just try to focus on eating more fruits and veggies, proteins and dairy. In 18 days I have lost 6 lbs, so hopefully it keeps going!