Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

New

I'm on another journey with losing weight and keeping it off. I'm an emotional eater. Any suggestions?

Replies

• DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    The best advice I have is something a friend told me when she tried to quit smoking - find something else to fill that spot. Feel like eating? Do some pushups. Get involved in something you love to distract you. Go for a walk. (Well, once it warms up. It's a bit cold in a large portion of the country right now.) Get away from the thing you want and find something else to occupy you until the craving passes.
  • merv243
    merv243 Posts: 19 Member
    The trick is definitely to stay busy. When I'm "in the zone", sometimes I realize I'm hungry but still don't even bother to eat (which can be bad if it happens too often or for too long, of course). Get rid of your go-to emotional eating snacks so that if you must eat, it's at least something healthy.

There are several little tricks to use to limit what I eat. One of my favorites is using water - chug a glass of water, and then have a small amount of whatever you are craving. Savor the taste, and then chug another glass of water. This should hopefully satisfy your craving, and if nothing else, the water makes you feel full.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Hi there!. I am a stress eater (and drinker) but I've found a few tricks to help me out.
    One - I make sure I eat regularly so I am not starving to death ever. Not only does being hungry add to stress and emotional breakdowns, if you do get emotional and you're already hungry you will reach for crap. I do anyway. I freak out and I want beer and chips and burgers and more chips.
    - Pay attention to how you feel after what you eat. I feel like crapola after I eat ice cream so I just stopped eating it. I remember the pain after binge eating and remind myself before I start that I don't like it.
    - When I know I am stressed (and likely to go over eat or eat junk) I stop myself and analyize what I'm stressed about. I talk to someone about my stress to help it go away (and so the cravings go away too).

I found that managing my emotions and stress led the way to managing what I eat.
    And reminding myself of things "ex: I always feel better when I chose not to eat fries. I'll order something else, even though I want fries"

and so forth.

Add me to your friends list and I'll be happy to help you along! Life is hard but it's much easier when you have support. x Kitty