Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How often should one weigh in?

QuintinVAbrams
QuintinVAbrams Posts: 16 Member
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
It has probably been a question asked a thousand times, but it is one which has probably as many answers. How often should I weigh myself? I have heard it said once a week, once a fortnight and once a month. I even heard - never, just go by the fit of your clothes. I think the answer is in the question! How often shoul I weigh myself. It is a personal decision. The key is weight is a measurement, and what you measure, you can control, so weight loss means you are in control of your eating habits, weight gain means you are not. Not exactly rocket science. The " they" people will always tell you when is best, how often is best, but it still won't change the fact that if you are in control the scale needle is going south, if you are not, it's going north! That said, I'd love to hear from any one here how often they weigh in, and why! Hope to hear from you.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    It's not as much how often as it is doing it in a consistent manner: same time, same place, same amount of clothing on. I weigh first thing every morning after I use the bathroom.
  • merv243
    merv243 Posts: 19 Member
    Yup. I think the best approach is to do it at the same time and situation every day - in the morning, after you use the bathroom, before you eat, wearing the same thing. Even so, you're going to find fluctuations of 1-2 lbs or more day to day, so you should track your progress more week-to-week.

But still weigh yourself daily, because if you do it once per week, there's no way to know how your weigh-in day compares to the days around it. Maybe you had a heavy dinner the night before so you have an extra pound, but you were at your target weight the day before, and will return to your target weight the day after.
  • nicolaferris420
    nicolaferris420 Posts: 17 Member
    Once a week, same day, same time (first thing in morning). I personally feel any more than that is a bad idea but whatever works for you.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    I weigh once a week

On a Friday, before my shower, after spending the previous 4 nights at the gym or kick boxing.

I think any more than once a week and you becoming obsessive. So your goal is to lose 1 kg a week, that's 142g a day isn't it. Are you going to notice a .1 of a kg change since yesterday? Is .1 of a kg going to be covered by a slightly larger dinner the previous night?

Your weight fluctuates, people who weigh them selves every day seem to act like nutters. Creating a post because they have "plateaued" cause they didn't lose any weight in the past 3 days.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    i weigh every day just to see but i only log once a week, and thats what i go by. my weight naturally fluctuates 1-3 pounds up and down during the day. no biggie, as long as the LOGGED trend is on the downward slope lolol