Newbie..

Options
Help I am outta control , I am finally ready to commit to making a lifestyle change tired of the yoyo dieting.. I need motivation, support and all the encouragement I can get.. Please & Thank you in advance.. :#

Replies

• jillianash
    jillianash Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! Glad to hear you are ready to commit to changing! add me as a friend and message me if you have any questions! Welcome to mfp!
  • engr57
    engr57 Posts: 61
    Options
    u can add me as well for further information
  • Eileen_T
    Eileen_T Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I started this week too. Been overweight for many many years and trying something new. The exercise bit is hardest for me, but I am walking. We all need encouragement and I have found many people quick to offer that here. You can add me too if you like.
  • katesback15
    Options
    Add away! I've only been here a few days and have a long way to go.... Xx
  • skinnynat1
    skinnynat1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    add me too
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Read the Announcements at the top of the message board threads. There is great information in them for getting started.

Baby steps are key. Don't try to change your entire life overnight or you're bound to end up frustrated and overwhelmed and those lead to quitting. Start out by simply logging everything you eat. Every single thing. Logging everything makes it easier to see where you can make simple changes that have a big impact. For greater accuracy with calorie counts, weigh solid foods using a kitchen scale and measure liquids that can't be weighed.

Don't "play" with the numbers, underestimate calories eaten or overestimate calories burned in exercise. You'd only be cheating yourself.

Start strength training as soon as possible. In my opinion it's more important than doing cardio because it is much easier to maintain the muscle you already have than to build new muscle later. When we lose weight it is a combination of water, fat and muscle. If you're maintaining muscle then more of your loss will be from fat! Additionally, if you are significantly overweight, your body has built up a lot of muscle mass to move around your extra weight. If you can keep that muscle through strength training while you lose weight you're going to look amazing when you've lost the fat over it.

The measuring tape is a better tool than the bathroom scale for judging your progress. In addition to "Before" pictures, measure your chest, waist, hips, thighs and any other body part you want to track and start recording them in MFP now. When the scale isn't moving your body might still be shrinking especially if you're lifting weights.

Get yourself into the mindset that you're making a lifestyle change and not something that you will eventually finish. Time-based goals for weight loss are bound to lead to perceived "failure". Weight loss is not linear and you will lose pounds faster at the beginning than at the end.
  • azdaisy2
    azdaisy2 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making a decision to be healthy! People here have been very helpful and supportive. Feel free to add me as a friend.

I was in the same boat as you awhile ago. I would diet then stress would hit and I would eat whatever I felt like. The thing that has helped me was to stop looking at this as a "diet". I have started to make changes in my diet that I can live with long term. I have found in the past that if I diet and restrict myself too much its easier for me to fall off the wagon then I binge.

I cut out fried and fast foods. If I want a burger and fries I make my own at home but healthier. Baked fries, chicken or turkey burger on a sandwich thin with loads of veggies. If I want steak, I have steak. But I find the leanest cut, only eat a small portion and pair it with whole grains and lots of veggies.

I started to reduce the amount of sweets that I eat but I didnt eliminate them completely. I eat dark chocolate but only buy the really good stuff that is wrapped in individual squares. I use Pinterest to find healthy ways to make my favorite foods.

I also started to add in exercises that I enjoy doing. I started by taking kickboxing and zumba. I take my dogs for walks. Then I started to add in weight training.

Good luck!
    Gina
  • ChipChocolatePancake
    Options
    Feel free to add me too! It's so great that you're taking a step forward - kudos for seeking out motivation!
  • Btbeam
    Btbeam Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Welcome I have lost 121 lbs with 129 to go with the help of this app and other tools. Anyone can feel free to add me. You can do this. Good Luck
  • Ro5238
    Ro5238 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You can add me! :)