Midnight Shift Work

This week I will be working on Midnight shift from 11-7am. I am in need of some suggestions for what I should eat or if I should eat, I use to work Midnight Shift long ago and I know that at some point I will get hungry so not eating won't be an option. I was thinking a salad, raw veggies and fruit, not a meal because I will eat my dinner at home. Any and all sugggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance MFP friends.

Replies

• I'm in the same boat as you my dear.
    I work 11pm - 7am, 5 days straight every 3 weeks. I also struggle eating properly during these shifts.

I find I wake up around noon or 1 pm, eat a lunch type meal, then eat dinner with my husband at 6:30pm and then nothing but junk during the night shift.

I've been taking on a lot more night shifts lately and my waist line has suffered big time.

I also need the support and ideas to eat properly during these shifts.
  • bren3jet
    bren3jet Posts: 33 Member
    I work straight nights too and just continually eat throughout my "day" like normal. From when I get up I eat every 2-3 hours until I go to bed. I eat pretty much what I would eat for a meal during the day, nothing special just because it's the middle of the night.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    1QueenB wrote: »
    This week I will be working on Midnight shift from 11-7am. I am in need of some suggestions for what I should eat or if I should eat, I use to work Midnight Shift long ago and I know that at some point I will get hungry so not eating won't be an option. I was thinking a salad, raw veggies and fruit, not a meal because I will eat my dinner at home. Any and all sugggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance MFP friends.

That is a good idea. Include some protein like nuts or some cooked chicken in the salad.
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    I'd definitely include some fat and protein in the mix, like cheese, nuts, nut butter, yogurt, hard-boiled egg or some meat. Most of all, pack something you really want to eat and maybe include a small treat not just what you think you should eat.

When I did overnights and nights, I was constantly starving, and if I didn't pack appealing food to bring I was hitting the vending machine or going in on takeout orders.