5'6"ish to 5'8"ish ladies- what's your starting/current/ goal waist size?

Options
I have found it very helpful to make additional goals to my weight loss goals, especially as I am only eating at a slight deficit (20%) and focusing on strength training (progressive body weight training for now).

Anyway, I think the measurement I am most focused on is my waist because of the research on the impact of Waist-to-Hip Ratio, and Waist-to-height ratios on health/ longevity AND because I think a smaller waist looks sexy and is a good indicator that I am moving in the right direction for my body overall.

SO, slightly taller than average girls, what's your current waist size and goal waist size?

And tell where you are measuring (narrowest part of waist, belly button, right above hip bone, inches above or below waist) as I don't want to start a thread debating on where to measure- we've BTDT.

SW (waist:): 40 inches (right above top of hip bones)
CW: 35.5
GW: ?? The smallest in a decade has been 31.5, but I'd love to see 29/30 or lower?

Narrowest part of waist:34.5

Replies

• KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Just measured my waist, it's 36". I'm 181#, trying to get to 154#ish. I'm 5'8", and not sure what I'd like my waist to be. If I could get into a size 8 then I think I'd be ecstatic! (I'm currently in a 16)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and 149 lbs. I was more apple shaped and am now more rectangular/banana/ruler-ish. I didn't start taking measurements until I got down to 170 (from 202) so my SW is from that point.

SW: 37.25 (narrowest point on waist)

CW: 31 (narrowest point on waist) and then 34.25 (belly button)

GW: I have no idea! My midsection/stomach is my fat trouble spot. No normal curvy female hips/thighs/backside for me. I feel like "just smaller than what I have now" is my waist goal but I can't really put a number on it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    SWaist (narrowest point) 33.5
    current waist (narrowest point) 28.5
    Im 5'8 and 165lbs and I'm quite happy with that ...if it gets smaller with weight training fine but after 2 children I'm not expecting pre-birth miracles and I like my shape
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Starting waist: 32" above navel, 35" at navel, 161lbs, 5'6"
    Current waist: 27" above navel, 27.5" at navel @‌ 137lbs
    Goal waist: ??? I surpassed my 28" goal, didn't think 27" was even possible for me (my torso and rib cage is broad from the front view); maybe 26", but 27" is amazing, too!

My narrowest point hasn't changed during the loss; always about 1.5" above my navel. But I also take the navel measurement, as I've actually seen the greatest improvement in that spot (my navel is the center of my "mommy tummy", looks like a donut ;) ).
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 (138lbs). I wear an american size 2 (h&m size 6)
    measuring at my natural waist, not low waist.
    starting waist that I recall, around 34
    now 26/27 (depending on time of month)
    hips are 37
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    5'9", 142-144 lbs, 28" waist

• lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm 5'7". I have an hourglass shape, so I tend to have a relatively slim waist, and this is one of the first areas I lose weight from.

My current waist (at the slimmest point) is 29 inches. At the navel I measure 32. I don't really have a goal waist measurement. I care more about my hip measurement which is currently almost 40. However, I do want to lose 10-15 more pounds. My waist will probably end up measuring between 27 and 28.
  • sad_kitty
    sad_kitty Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'7", currently 162.5, I'd like to get to 145 ish. I'm currently 37.5-32-40.5, and would like to get back down to 36-30-38 or so. I also have endometriosis so my waist measurements can fluctuate madly depending on swelling (I love lycra in fabrics, and also own a few sizes of clothing to accomodate whatever is happening that day). Part of my motivation is that it's easier to mask the swelling when I'm at about 150 lbs and a dress size smaller.
  • TigerNY128
    TigerNY128 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7", 139 pounds, size 6. My waist at the smallest is 27 and around my navel is 32. Ugh. I carry all my weight there.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am 5'8, 160lbs and wear a 6 or 8. For my weight it always seems like I am a small size compared to others. I don't know what that's about, it must be the way my weight is distributed or my natural lean body mass or bone size or something.

Anyhow, I measure at the smallest part of my waist. Here are my measurements compared to weight:

175lbs- 30 inches
    160lbs- 28.5 inches
    154 lbs- 28 inches

GOAL WEIGHT of 137- hoping for 26.5 inches (maybe 26???)

I am one of the "lucky" ones who stay proportionally quite narrow at the smallest part of my waist. It is the last place I gain and the first place I lose. Based on the size of my ribcage I doubt I could have well under a 27 inch waist at a healthy weight. Of the 23 lbs I have left to lose, the vast majority of them will come from my butt, thighs, upper arms, and lower stomach. Hopefully some back fat will go too....that is probably my biggest problem area.

edited to add my full current measurements: 38-28-42.5. My thighs are each 23 inches at the largest part!!!
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    5'7" 153lbs
    Below belly button: 26
    Smallest part: 23
    (I have a very small waist)
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Currently 5'8" 175lbs, 32"

Started at 296lbs, 50" waist

Goal weight 140 lbs (maybe), waist - no idea - I had a 26" waist when I was 15 and weighed 116... Measured at narrowest part. My bellybutton is lower than my hip bone, so my bellybutton measurement is the same as my hip measurement (40", down from 60").
  • Flookbird
    Flookbird Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7, started at 221lbs and now 137lbs. I measure from the narrowest part of my waist.

SW: 45.6 inches
    CW: 29.6 inches

I feel I've got quite a thick waist, but obviously pleased with it anyway as I've spent my whole adult life overweight.
  • Frappleberry
    Frappleberry Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and started at 218lbs and now am 196lbs. I am Apple shaped so all weight is on and around my waist, very unhealthy! I measured my waist at its widest part at the navel.
    Start measurement: 49 inches
    Current measurement: 44 inches

First aim is to get below 40 inches!
  • TigerNY128
    TigerNY128 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Starting waist: 32" above navel, 35" at navel, 161lbs, 5'6"
    Current waist: 27" above navel, 27.5" at navel @‌ 137lbs
    Goal waist: ??? I surpassed my 28" goal, didn't think 27" was even possible for me (my torso and rib cage is broad from the front view); maybe 26", but 27" is amazing, too!

My narrowest point hasn't changed during the loss; always about 1.5" above my navel. But I also take the navel measurement, as I've actually seen the greatest improvement in that spot (my navel is the center of my "mommy tummy", looks like a donut ;) ).

I wish mine was this size at my navel!! I started at 35.5 at my smallest point and 39.5 at my navel...so I've lost about 7 inches in each. I just wish I could lose more at my navel. Would like to wear a bikini this summer, and that prevents me from doing it!
  • AllyLalax
    Options
    I'm 5'7.5, 122-125lbs, at my largest my waist was 29inches and it's now 24/25. Don't want or think it'll get any smaller than that! :lol:
  • pap3rw1ngs
    pap3rw1ngs Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7", 155lbs. I started at 220lbs and my waist was 37" (probably at my naval, since I used to measure there). My waist (at the smallest point) is currently 29.5" and I'd like to lose a few more inches there.
  • melorastar
    melorastar Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8", started at 228 lbs, and my goal weight is around 140 pounds (so much to lose, aaahhh!!!) I don't measure any part of my body but I just go to the shops and try on the next smaller size from time to time. I really hope to go from a size 18 to a size 10 (UK sizes) <3
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    You can't control where you lose fat from or your body shape. I think aiming for a specific measurement for a specific part of your body could be a bad thing for some people. If you get fixated on a number but have trouble reaching it realistically. Will you be happy with your body? Just something to consider.
  • LubGunther
    LubGunther Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    5'7" but I round up to 5'8" because I looooooooove being tall and want to be taller!

Too terrified to weigh myself currently but my goal weight is in between 130-140Lbs. At 160 I look damn good though.