Potassium and Calcium

Options
When looking through my reports, I've noticed that I am significantly under the set goals for potassium and calcium. Are these just guidelines, or should I be actively trying to reach the recommendations? And if so, what are some food choices that I could make? I eat a lot of greens (calcium) and potatoes (potassium). Cheese is incredibly expensive where I live (in fact, all dairy is), and if I eat bananas then that puts me over my sugar count for the day. TIA

Replies

• Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Sun dried tomatoes and raisins have some potassium. Coffee does, too. In fact, when you log, make sure you use a coffee entry that lists potassium and/or double check with Google. You might be getting more than you think. Squash and mushrooms are also listed as having potassium. Sesame seeds have some calcium. You might want to grind them just to ensure bioavailability. They're also really surprisingly high in iron. White beans are a good source of calcium as well. Almonds has potassium and calcium.
  • LiveForTheWilderness
    Options
    If you are really needing potassium (be careful with intake as it can affect your heart), supplement by mixing some Nu-Salt with your water intake. A little goes a long way.
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    Sun dried tomatoes and raisins have some potassium. Coffee does, too. In fact, when you log, make sure you use a coffee entry that lists potassium and/or double check with Google. You might be getting more than you think. Squash and mushrooms are also listed as having potassium. Sesame seeds have some calcium. You might want to grind them just to ensure bioavailability. They're also really surprisingly high in iron. White beans are a good source of calcium as well. Almonds has potassium and calcium.

Oh, I haven't been logging coffee. Thanks! I'll try it and see if it helps :)

• KrunchyMama
    Options
    If you are really needing potassium (be careful with intake as it can affect your heart), supplement by mixing some Nu-Salt with your water intake. A little goes a long way.

We have to add salt to our water softener (we're on a well). I don't know how to log that, but I wonder if it would help with my potassium intake then?
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Potassium is a micronutrient that is not required to be listed on current nutrition facts labels. If I am purposefully trying to make sure that I am meeting my potassium goals, I typically need to use USDA (non-asterisked) entries instead of user-inputted entries.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    Potassium is a micronutrient that is not required to be listed on current nutrition facts labels. If I am purposefully trying to make sure that I am meeting my potassium goals, I typically need to use USDA (non-asterisked) entries instead of user-inputted entries.

This is good advice, especially if you eat packaged foods.
  • KrunchyMama
    Options

Set aside from this week (which I have indulged in a few types of packaged foods), I normally stick to whole foods. I'll check my foods when I log them, so all the non-asterisked ones come from the USDA then?

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

Set aside from this week (which I have indulged in a few types of packaged foods), I normally stick to whole foods. I'll check my foods when I log them, so all the non-asterisked ones come from the USDA then?

Yes. Look for the non asterisked foods.

• KrunchyMama
    Options
    Awesome, thanks!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I routinely come in low oh potassium, and I'm not very efficient in utilizing it, so I need a lot. I have a bag of potassium citrate in my closet. It's my parachute for when things get bad.
  • KrunchyMama
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I routinely come in low oh potassium, and I'm not very efficient in utilizing it, so I need a lot. I have a bag of potassium citrate in my closet. It's my parachute for when things get bad.

How can you tell 'when things get bad?' if you don't mind me asking? I have no idea how to know if I'm truly deficient and need to supplement or not. Saw a nutritionist, naturopath, and doctor all in recent years, and no one's ever said anything, so I'm assuming I'm fine, but then again, you know what they say about assuming....

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You need a routine set of blood tests to see if you are deficient in any micronutrient. If you are symptomless you are likely fine.
  • KrunchyMama
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    You need a routine set of blood tests to see if you are deficient in any micronutrient. If you are symptomless you are likely fine.

Yay, thanks :smiley:
  • dbmata
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

How can you tell 'when things get bad?' if you don't mind me asking? I have no idea how to know if I'm truly deficient and need to supplement or not. Saw a nutritionist, naturopath, and doctor all in recent years, and no one's ever said anything, so I'm assuming I'm fine, but then again, you know what they say about assuming....
    For me... cramps.

Cramps in my neck when I yawned. Testicles when I urinated. Arms when I picked something up.

That was a bit extreme, but it was that event that helped me pinpoint it as a potassium deficiency.
  • KrunchyMama
    Options
    [/quote]
    For me... cramps.

Cramps in my neck when I yawned. Testicles when I urinated. Arms when I picked something up.

That was a bit extreme, but it was that event that helped me pinpoint it as a potassium deficiency.
    [/quote]

Wow, good thing you were able to figure it out! Thanks for posting the symptoms, I'll know what to look for then!
  • dbmata
    Options
    It was fun. I was take my Mg, and then my Ca... nothing happening, so good ole salt... no changes.

Off chance, tried potassium citrate, 5gr dissolved in water. Done. Effect was almost immediate.
  • Krystal_86
    Krystal_86 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I drink pure coconut water and drink almond milk with my protein
  • dbmata
    Options
    The coconut electrolyte mix is pretty decent with potassium. Each scoop is 10% of your daily, so if your intake is good to go
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Orange juice! I drink a glass every morning with my breakfast and it's packed with potassium. Don't be too concerned with your sugar unless you have a medical condition that requires it be monitored.
  • Ironman162
    Ironman162 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try steamed Cauliflower it has a good count