Pho...WHY???

Options
2»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It tends to come in a huge serving size, which is a big part of the issue. Plus the noodles are high in carbs.

I get veggie pho and eat half of the serving.
    Some places offer mung bean noodles which can be a better noodle choice for some.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    make it at home - super duper low cal version: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/quick-vietnamese-noodle-soup-with-beef
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    !!!!!!!
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    When I get Pho I divide into two or three servings so it's not so bad at one sitting.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Where I live, we have a pho place in practically every little strip mall. It's kind of crazy.

I used to get the small bowl and eat what I could. Now I pay the extra dollar to get the large bowl, then bring home more than half of it.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    You can buy pho broth and fresh rice noodles. Add some lime, hot sauce, protein, some veggies and egg. Pretty good and you can totally control the calories
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Sydking wrote: »
    I get no noodles. Extra meat and Heaps of extra bean sprouts

Tastes better then with the noodle and much lower cal
    I blame the noodles too. Not exactly 1/4 cup! I love this idea.
  • benboyd85
    benboyd85 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    srcurran wrote: »
    When I get Pho I divide into two or three servings so it's not so bad at one sitting.

This is what I do too. I love Pho, I can eat it for multiple meals in a row!
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Pho doesnt even compare(flavor wise) to ramen made at a good ramen noodle house...
  • efwolfcub
    efwolfcub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Pho broth kept me sane when I was in my pre-op for having my bariatric surgery, and did an even better job at keeping me sane when I was on clears. Pho was the first "real food" at a resteraunt after surgery. Compared to most places you could go out to eat (look at the calories in your average quart of fried rice, for example, or a bloomin' onion, etc) Pho is downright healthy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    Pho doesnt even compare(flavor wise) to ramen made at a good ramen noodle house...

Entirely different thing. Both are good.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    congvo wrote: »
    Probably before the hosin and sriracha sauce:

http://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf/2013/06/how_does_pho_measure_up_when_i.html

Pho is one of the most popular Vietnamese menu items, often ordered as a light lunch or dinner, but is that steaming bowl of noodles really as nutritious as we think it is? Here’s an up-close look at how pho measures up, and how to tweak it to make it even better (nutritionally speaking, of course).

The nutritional stats vary widely depending on serving size, type of meat, and amount of noodles added, but to get a ballpark idea of protein, carbs, and calories, we ordered beef pho (medium or ‘regular’ size, with flank steak or eye of round) from several restaurants throughout the city and deconstructed them to see just how much meat, noodles, veggies and broth were in each.

On average, a medium bowl of pho contained three to four ounces of meat, six ounces of noodles, and 20 ounces of broth, along with an assortment of fresh herbs, onions, peppers, and bean sprouts. The calculated nutritional stats were 350 to 450 calories per bowl, with 35 to 50 grams of carbs, 30 grams of protein, and a whopping 1500 mg of sodium.

The broth itself contains little or no oil, and is very low in calories, carbs, and fat – the main drawback is the high sodium content.

Keep pho lean with protein choices like flank steak, eye of round, seafood, or chicken, rather than higher fat options like meatballs or brisket. And while tripe and beef tendon may not sound like healthful additions, a four-ounce serving of tripe (from the stomach of a cow) has just 100 calories and one gram of saturated fat, and beef tendon is very lean, with a couple of ounces packing in 20 grams of protein with very little fat.

If an average of three to four ounces of meat per medium bowl of pho isn’t enough protein, you can always request double meat (or seafood or chicken).

And requesting vegetables in place of noodles can save as much as 200 calories and 50 grams of carbs per medium bowl of pho, plus you’ll be getting the added nutritional benefit of veggies like bok choy, cabbage, carrots, and bean sprouts.
    They're probably not advised to think in a context that delivers one conclusion.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

That's like saying goat doesn't taste anything like lamb...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

ok? your point?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

ok? your point?

don't worry, you missed it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

ok? your point?

don't worry, you missed it.
    Nope. Just want you to say it. But no worries.

• MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Well-I went for it. Got white meat chicken pho last night. I only used 1/3 of the noodles and added extra veggies.
    I now have half of it left for tonight. I'll still cut back on the noodles and add extra sprouts (my favorite part). It hit the spot!