Nervous to start Insanity (again)

Options
So, I tried Insanity last year and got through 3 weeks. I had *serious* DOMS in my calves. So much so that I couldn't walk. It was pretty terrible.

I've lost more weight, successfully gotten through 6 weeks of kettlebell and I'm ready to try again! Anyone have any advice or tips to ward off that awful calf pain that I'm a little worried is around the corner? ☺️

Replies

• brianmccloskey279
    Options
    I started today, second round I've done but the last one was over a year ago. I had the same problem but found the solution was to get a soft mat to workout on. It reduced the impact from the jumps significantly. Hope we both can stick to it.
  • hayden_sr
    hayden_sr Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'll definitely try that. The fit test went better than I expected. So excited!

As long as you're doing a more than the day before, you've got it.
  • acarmon55
    acarmon55 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem with my calves. I took a day off then went back to it. I am restarting again because I had to take a week off. Think I will start tomorrow
  • hayden_sr
    Options
    I'm hoping the post-workout protein shakes will make a difference this time around. I'll be right there with you tomorrow ☺️
  • lilflav
    Options
    My calves have been sore from insanity too, I've been doing extra calf stretches after the video &/or in the shower, he doesn't stretch the calves at all. I've also been lightly massaging them after my shower. Make sure your shoes are supportive enough and you are landing completely on your foot when jumping. Being on your toes too much puts extra stress on calf muscles.
  • Kellyreen
    Kellyreen Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm on my first week and my calves aren't that horrible yet. They are sore but tolerable. Does it get worse? Fist three days I was pretty damn sore but it seems to be getting better. Tomorrow will be my last day of week one.
  • hayden_sr
    Options
    lilflav - good call. I'll have to try that.

Kellyreen - congrats on getting through week one!

I'm sad to report that I only got through the warm up (barely), got frustrated and switched to 30 minutes of kettlebell instead. I'm not sure why I can get through that with no problem, but Insanity kicks my *kitten* so quickly! Definitely frustrating. I've always kind of sucked at cardio, though.
  • Kellyreen
    Kellyreen Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I almost wanted to do the same thing but I just did what I could. I just did the plyo for the second time and it got a little better. I'll never say easier but better. I don't think this could ever be considered easier. Or that'll I'll ever get through it without crawling on the floor going oh my god how much longer at some point in the work out lol.
  • Ywilliams82
    Ywilliams82 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I started on Monday and just done day 4 and this is the 3rd time I've done it.

Although the last time I did it was a year ago and I had a baby 7 weeks ago.

Your right Kellyreen it's gets better not easier.

Don't give up Hayden_sr the results are so worth it
  • Ywilliams82
    Ywilliams82 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Btw I love kettlebells, I did Bob Harpers Kettlebell cardio workout it's amazing
  • Saab_2015
    Saab_2015 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I stopped as it was heavy on the legs ....I 've taken up running. Happy to be told to man up and will give it a go
  • hayden_sr
    Options
    I'm going to keep trying, but I do love the kettlebell. I may stick with that a little longer ☺️
  • berger_l
    Options
    My calves were hurting like crazy. I could barely do the exercises. I changed shoes to have some with better support, went easier on butt kicks and was fine after 1 week. I just started my 4th week.
  • jillianedwards
    jillianedwards Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Ive just started Insanity Max 30, been doing it for about 3 days now and even though i have to do the modified versions of the workout i quite like it so far! I like that it is only 30 minutes a day and it is pretty tough!
  • hayden_sr
    Options
    berger_l wrote: »
    My calves were hurting like crazy. I could barely do the exercises. I changed shoes to have some with better support, went easier on butt kicks and was fine after 1 week. I just started my 4th week.

That's a hot tip! I'll try that, too!
  • hayden_sr
    Options
    Ive just started Insanity Max 30, been doing it for about 3 days now and even though i have to do the modified versions of the workout i quite like it so far! I like that it is only 30 minutes a day and it is pretty tough!

Awesome job! I hope I get there, even if it takes longer than Shaun T has planned for me on that pesky calendar of his