Tell me all of your secrets ;)

Options
Newww wife to be here, hoping for some guidance! my name is aimee and I'm hoping to get into shape before my wedding next year. Any tips, secrets or advice you could give me would be of great help, and friends...yep I need some of those too, please and thank you!

Replies

• legacysh
    legacysh Posts: 464
    Options
    I don't know that i'm full of good advice, but I can be supportive and determined. Friend me if you want!
  • Walt75
    Walt75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Oh THOSE secrets..whew!!
  • MelHoneyRocks
    MelHoneyRocks Posts: 223
    Options
    My secret: do what MFP says. That is all it takes. :drinker:
  • jennifercokerdean
    Options
    I'm not sure how you feel about running, but learn to love it :)
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    calorie counting & exercise. There are no secrets.
    Hard work and determination, willpower & wise choices.
    Cardio & strength.
    Sweat, blood & tears.

that's the secret.
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    wow - too many to write here!!

Feel free to jump on the positivity bus (friend me) and I'm happy to share as you need them xx
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options

Yes - and this would include eating back your exercise calories.

Here are some things i've learned from MFP that are helping me along the way:
    -Buy a food scale & measuring cups & make good use of them when you're dining at home.
    -Eat smaller portions & measure them.
    -Dine at home as much as you can.
    -Don't buy prepackaged meals.
    -Exercise regularly, even if it's just a few minutes a day.
    -Get a decent Heart Rate Monitor so you'll know what you burned when exercising.
    -Don't put all of your faith & expectations into what the scale says.
    -Watch your sodium levels.
    -Drink plenty of water.
    -Be honest with yourself.
    -Be patient with yourself.
    -Don't let the pigeon drive the bus (just making sure you're paying attention).
  • rosiesparkle100
    Options
    calorie counting & exercise. There are no secrets.
    Hard work and determination, willpower & wise choices.
    Cardio & strength.
    Sweat, blood & tears.

that's the secret.

This is right. The only other thing I would add is forgiving yourself when you totally mess up, and carry on trying regardless
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    *I limit my carb intake to 100 grams a day.
    *Drink PLENTY of water.
    *I either have a protien shake for breakfast or dinner; breakfast if I am only doing cardio at night, and dinner if I am doing weight training at night.
    *I zig zag my calories.
    *I get in at least 45 min of cardio in each day. My "day off" from working out, still consists of 10 min of stairs and 30-40 min of walking.
    *I only eat fruit before 2pm to give myself enough time to burn the sugar
    *I do not drink soda (haven't in 12 years)
    *I have green tea everyday
    *I avoid McDonalds, Burger King, etc. I know they have healthy choices, but I don't like any of them
    *I take a multivitamin, fish oil capsules, and calcium

The list can keep on going......
  • oreyna49
    oreyna49 Posts: 152
    Options
    I've done diets before and they don't last too long. Think of this as a journey...taking one meal, one day, one week...at a time. I tipped the scales over 260 pounds for years and i'm currently down to 234. I advise and suggestions I recieve from my MFP friends has taught me many lessons. There is no quick fix to this. It takes time to lose weight...1/2 pound to 1 pound a week is great...any more and you are pushing too hard. The best advise I can offer is be patient and dedicated...HOW BAD DO YOU WANT THIS??? Best of luck!!!
  • mindovermayo
    mindovermayo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    --Write down your goals and review them often. Always KNOW why you are doing this!

--Always food journal, even if you've gone over your daily allotment.

--Weigh-in weekly, if not daily (it's just feedback!)

--Plan ahead (especially for meals!)

--Find an activity you like to do - and do it often!

--If you screw up, so what. It's what you do next is what is important!
  • jamiek89
    jamiek89 Posts: 105
    Options
    -Don't let the pigeon drive the bus (just making sure you're paying attention).
    Hahaha love it!

Pretty much what everyone else has said! The biggest thing is to realise that yes you are gonna stuff up, have bad days and whatever, you just gotta hang in there and keep trying!
  • ChrisFA5
    ChrisFA5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    What I have found is to treat my body like a machine, sounds funny right? Think about it, would you pour used oil into your car? I'm on this kick right now where I don't eat anything that has been processed more than two steps. For instance steel ground oats instead of rolled quick oats, or split chicken breast on a salad rather than lunch meat. To say the least it takes some dedication, but I have found the challenge to be allot of fun. I have also found the MFP app and site to help tremendously, although I go over on protein and fat (nuts olive oil, etc) and under on carbohydrates (a little like south beach).

And yes I'm a geek and a gear head.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options

AMEN! couldn't have said it better myself!