LCHF using MFP

Options
Hi everyone! I was wondering if there were others of you out there doing a ketogenic LCHF diet that use MFP and can give me some tips on the best way to use it since it only tracks total carbs and not net carbs and I can't customize percentages of each part of my foods I want to imput for goals (such as fat, protein, net carbs, etc.). Thanks!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You can use custom goals to set (say) 5% carbs 25% protein 70% fat. The steps are 5% unless you download a script tool to override that, but start with the 5% via http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_custom

Not all database items are in Total Carbs (a US construct) and you can enter your own net carb value items if you like.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    You can track net carbs if you use a computer instead of mobile and add this:
    https://github.com/Surye/mfp-keto-userscript

• Trae41
    Trae41 Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi, I too am trying HFLC keto. I've used tampermonkey to customise my percentages on my computer. If you google configure myfitnesspal.
  • kk281
    kk281 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm doing LCHF, have for a while now and my goals are set up pretty much exactly like yarwell said. You can determine net carbs by subtracting the grams of fiber consumed from the grams of carbs consumed. For my caloric intake, 5% comes out to roughly 24g of carbs, this works for maintenance phase, but the only way to get it to go low enough for the induction phase (<10g) is scripting, which isn't hard to do.
  • joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Not all database items are in Total Carbs (a US construct)

What does this mean?

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Not all database items are in Total Carbs (a US construct)

What does this mean?

what it says. If I read a label in the UK and enter what it says then the Carbohydrates number will not be what you as an American expect it to be. It will be sugars and starch. Imported goods from the USA have revised nutritional labels added in the UK.

The US doesn't measure carbohydrates, it arrives at something it calls "Total Carbohydrate" by measuring other things and subtracting from 100. It's clear if you read the labelling regs.

• chadselmer
    chadselmer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been on keto about two months now, been great...and I am active on reddit's keto subreddit (r/keto). A big thing is to not let yourself become a "keto-chondriac" or whatever it is called...don't completely obsess over macros. Keep carbs to an absolute minimum, focus on nuts and vegetables as your source and keep the absolute number of carbs to below 30-40 with the majority coming from fiber and you'll be good to go. If you find yourself freaking out that you can't track net carbs, you are probably worrying too much about it. Focus on shifting your diet away from carbs completely and go big on oils and fats. You'll lose the taste for sugar, you will get energy from veggies and you will start craving oils, butter, mayo, etc.

But remember to track absolute calories!!! Keto is NOT a weight loss diet. You usually lose weight in the beginning, but after your water weight is gone and you stabilize, it is still important to count if you want to continue to lose. Keto is diet intended to cause a metabolic shift, reduce the likelihood of disease related to chronic high levels of insulin, get your LDL/HDL levels in order, and fundamentally move to a state of using fat stores for energy. If you take in too much fat/protein than you need, it will still get stored.
  • rhfelix
    rhfelix Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This guy put together an awesome calculator to set your LCHF macros and then transfer it over to MFP. Check it out! http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Whenever I log food onto FitnessPal it tracks the net carbs automatically... but I am from the UK and therefore use UK listed foods. Like someone said earlier in the USA on the label they call it total carbs because they have added the fiber to that number. In the UK they don't do this, the fiber is listed separately, so what you see on a UK label under carbs... is the net carbs.
    Keto Calculator.com is actually a good website to find out your ratios.. I used it and it's really helpful. Like others said, you can also change the percentages in the goals settings for nutrients. You shouldn't have too much of a problem sorting it all out.