Low carb or low cal?

Options
in addition to working out with cardio and strengthening, I'd like to change my eating plan for the most effective weight loss by June of this year. What do you recommend?

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    That's a one or both question, not an either or. If you go low carb, you replace the carbs with fats and don't get hungry as often. That's the only real difference.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest measuring and getting used to hitting the calorie target set by MFP. That is your most effective way of getting there.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    As JPW1990 said, that's not an either/or question. I disagree with her that you'll necessarily be more hungry unless you low carb, it's not a universal truth. It's not even a truth.

Find a way of eating that satisfies you, whether it's low carb, moderate carb, or carb-filled. Just eat at the calorie deficit that is targeted by the goal set by MFP. Weigh your foods on a food scale, be honest about your intake, log everything you eat, and you'll lose weight.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you have to do low cal. If you find it is easier to do low cal by reducing your carbs, then perhaps low carb is for you. Other than that, going low carb isn't necessary to lose weight.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    low carb is just a tool to get to low calorie..

you can eat "normal" carb, be in a deficit, and lose weight….
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit is all that's required.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is working great for me. I lowered my carbs just because I was eating a ridiculous amount, but I'm not doing low carb.
  • august1987
    Options
    What are some low carbs I can try?☺
  • LilyPearl0560
    LilyPearl0560 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am trying to cut down on carbs due to my recent diagnosis of Diabetes. I am eating extremely healthy each day until around 7:00 pm. At that time I feel like I could eat a loaf of bread. Any tips on how I can satisfy my craving for bread and not mess up my sugar levels?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I am trying to cut down on carbs due to my recent diagnosis of Diabetes. I am eating extremely healthy each day until around 7:00 pm. At that time I feel like I could eat a loaf of bread. Any tips on how I can satisfy my craving for bread and not mess up my sugar levels?

Are you eating enough, and enough carbs during the day?