PLEASE HELP!!! LEG DAY!

Options
Hi everyone I'm going to start doing leg day at the gym but I don't have a clue what to do! I found a routine online and it consists of:

Exercises:

1. Squats (wide stance squats with dumbbells or barbell)
2 Stiff Legged Dead lifts
3. Dumbbell Lunges
4. Leg Press
5. Leg Extensions
6. Leg Curl
7. Step-ups
8. Calf Raises
It says to perform each exercise for 12 reps with 15 seconds rest between each exercise. After all the exercises are completed that is classed as one circuit. As I get comfortable with doing the exercises I will increase the amount of circuits that I will do however I am only going to start off with 1.
I have so many questions about this routine; what weight do I use to perform these exercises and how many times should I do this routine ? I'm going to be working out 6 days a week, four days are going to be my cardio and the other two days I want to work legs separately. Is this a good plan if not what is. I really need some advice any info will be appreciated!

Replies

• Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it might be better for you to do a smaller variety of compound exercises rather than so many isolations. That is a very complex routine.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Good luck getting all that equipment in a commercial gym to do that circuit
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Excellent idea working out legs (they are so neglected!). So you aren't working out upper body or abs?

All these exercises are gym staples, so you can't go wrong with them but I would recommend more sets(circuits) and fewer exercises.

Maybe 4 excercises, 3 sets each...pick a weight you can safely lift 10-15 reps while still taxing the muscles. This will take some time to find the correct weight for you, write everything down so you know for next time!

Here is a nice little page that has 3 intro workouts, a few options and choices
    http://sworkoutroutines.com/?page_id=75
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I think you are going to have a hard time getting that in at a gym..

are you doing this at peak hours or early in am?

where did you get this work out from?

if you really want to get into lifting, I would suggest following a beginner program like starting strength, strong lifts, etc...
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My gym would have all the equipment required for that work out. Unfortunately, it would also have a queue for all the equipment.

I prefer body weight exercise workouts at home, with or without dumbbells. One legged squats, ordinary squats, lunges, kicks, high knees etc etc.

I just picked up this site from a kind person on MFP. This one is even called Leg Day :)
    http://neilarey.com/workouts/legday-workout.html

Worth a go.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I think you are going to have a hard time getting that in at a gym..

are you doing this at peak hours or early in am?

where did you get this work out from?

if you really want to get into lifting, I would suggest following a beginner program like starting strength, strong lifts, etc...

^^^^ this. Why focus on just the legs? Your arms, chest, and back can get the same love through a full routine.
  • jasoncollins79
    jasoncollins79 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you are just now going to start working legs I would not do all of that volume for at least a few weeks. Back it way down. And when you say cardio what kind of cardio? If you are just getting into legs they will be too sore sometimes for heavy cardio. Start with a basic leg routine. Three or four sets of 10 (squats/leg press/curls/extentions). I would do body weight squats unless your form is good already. Start there and build up to you volume.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Look into strong lifts 5 x 5.
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    If you are only starting to use a gym, dont do that routine, its fair too much for a starter
  • marysamezz
    marysamezz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thats a lot of movements for leg day...you could try the stronglifts app/program. For leg day you could do compound movements like deadlifts, squats, weighted lunges, calf lifts with barbell. Compound movements can work your whole body and also your legs. I would also avoid the leg press it's been shown they don't do much for you and long term you can injure your back.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    If you are just now going to start working legs I would not do all of that volume for at least a few weeks. Back it way down. And when you say cardio what kind of cardio? If you are just getting into legs they will be too sore sometimes for heavy cardio. Start with a basic leg routine. Three or four sets of 10 (squats/leg press/curls/extentions). I would do body weight squats unless your form is good already. Start there and build up to you volume.

^^this. great advice.
  • twb119
    Options
    i agree withTheBigFb.That is a really ambitious workout for a beginner.And where are you going to go from there once your body acclimates to it? A good rule to start is ,"Do the least amount necessary to achieve results."If you are not discouraged by the pain you are going to feel than you will be when you plateau.Do a full body workout to build a foundation.Be sure to rest.Your muscles are torn down during the workout.They need to rebuild themselves and become stronger to handle the load the next time you workout.You sound like a good candidate for a personal trainer.They can help you get started, answer your questions and make sure you have proper technique so you don't get injured.Ask around for a good one in your area...Good luck!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    marysamezz wrote: »
    Thats a lot of movements for leg day...you could try the stronglifts app/program. For leg day you could do compound movements like deadlifts, squats, weighted lunges, calf lifts with barbell. Compound movements can work your whole body and also your legs. I would also avoid the leg press it's been shown they don't do much for you and long term you can injure your back.

If you hurt your back doing a leg press, you're doing it wrong.
  • 4thDegreeKnight
    4thDegreeKnight Posts: 69 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If I may make a suggestion, keep it simple - especially at first.

My very first routine on legs (3 Sets of 10):
    1) Leg Lunges each Leg
    2) Ball Squats (Where an exercise ball is between your back and wall, then squat)
    or "sissy squats" (don't let the name fool you)
    3) Calf Raises.

Escalated to (3 sets of 10):
    1. Leg lunges or "up and overs"
    2. Squatting with a bar only (An olympic Bar is about 45 lbs).
    3. Stiff legged dead lifts, bar only
    4. Calf Raises

I always started 3 sets of 10 reps, would work to 12 and then 15. Once there easily, I went to 4 sets of 10 reps, then 12, then 15. Once comfortable there, I would up my weight and start with 3 sets of 10 again. I do weight lifting 3x a week (M W F) after 20 min of cardio to warm up my legs. (But am in gym M-F). You would be surprised how fast you up the weight. My goal is always to feel a little sore the next day, if I did that - my weight is right.

To confuse my body, work on oddball muscles, and form I would substitute Squats with the Smith Machine, Leg Press, etc. Same motion, different way of doing it.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Do squats, lunges (front, back, side), deadlift. All your bases will be covered. Seriously, people overcomplicate these things. (I would do legs more than once a week, btw. Bro-splits aren't exactly the best way to build strength, muscle or lose fat...)
  • TheyCallMeShy
    TheyCallMeShy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice, I have now used your advice and information that I have found online to create a simple routine can you guys tell me what you think!!

12 reps of each exercise with 15 seconds rest in between

1. Squats without dumbells
    2. Squats with dumbells
    3. Lunges without dumbells
    4. Lunges with dumbells
    5. Dead lifts
    6. Calf raises

All these exercises I can do with dumbells therefore I might not even need to go to the gym instead I might get a set on 20kg dumbells that allows you to lower the weight if necessary (which I think I would need to lol). Do you think this routine will be affective over time and help me to tone my legs?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,572 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you're only wanting to do legs because you're thinking that training them will make them smaller. I could be wrong. But if you are, then just know that direct training a body part won't spot reduce fat off that body part. Exercise is for health and fitness. Calorie deficit is for weight loss.

That said, if you're a beginner then keep it simple:

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Single leg calf raise on a step or stair

3 sets of 10 reps.

Do this for a couple of weeks focusing on FORM and EXECUTION. You can add later once you master how to do these correctly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TheyCallMeShy
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I'm assuming you're only wanting to do legs because you're thinking that training them will make them smaller. I could be wrong. But if you are, then just know that direct training a body part won't spot reduce fat off that body part. Exercise is for health and fitness. Calorie deficit is for weight loss.

That said, if you're a beginner then keep it simple:

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Single leg calf raise on a step or stair

3 sets of 10 reps.

Do this for a couple of weeks focusing on FORM and EXECUTION. You can add later once you master how to do these correctly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I'm doing cardio 6 times a week. I wanted to include 2 days of leg day because I want to tone my legs. If I do start to work on my legs then my cardio will be 4 times a week instead of 6.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice, I have now used your advice and information that I have found online to create a simple routine can you guys tell me what you think!!

2. Squats with dumbells
    4. Lunges with dumbells
    5. Dead lifts
    6. Calf raises

All these exercises I can do with dumbells therefore I might not even need to go to the gym instead I might get a set on 20kg dumbells that allows you to lower the weight if necessary (which I think I would need to lol). Do you think this routine will be affective over time and help me to tone my legs?

where is the compounds??????

ETA - I don't think you can do a convential deadlift with dumbbells...unless you mean Romanian deadlifts??
  • TheyCallMeShy
    Options

Yes I am trying to lose weight everyone actually I'm continuing to lose weight I know all the information about calorie deficit and blah blah blah which I have lost 1 stone and 4 pounds from all that information. All I want to do is to work my legs and tone them, the cardio that I'm doing is decreasing the size of my legs however not toning them which is why I want to incorporate legs days within my routine.

Will this routine that I have created be effected for that I don't want to do any other exercises because I already have some knowledge on how to perform these. Will this routine be affective or not?

2. Squats with dumbells
    4. Lunges with dumbells
    5. Dead lifts
    6. Calf raises