Replies

• My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a lot of fun.
  • yaafee
    yaafee Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I always try to give up something and add something.

Socially - I'm giving up Facebook and Pinterest to be fully present when I spend time with my husband and I'm adding a volunteer activity at least twice in Lent.

Fitness - I'm adding a greater sense of accountability (I'm giving up eating crap and pretending it never happened).
  • immortalities
    immortalities Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    For Lent I am giving up food shopping - like I am a serial food hoarder. I buy so much and it either ends up going to waste or I find myself forcing myself to eat the same thing everyday for about a week before it goes out of date. I'm a nightmare.
  • jessicagrieshaber
    jessicagrieshaber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    For lent I am giving up peanut butter
  • jessiemjporter
    jessiemjporter Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Im giving up chocolate, biscuits, cakes and sweets :smiley: Lent finishes 1 day before my sisters birthday so i can have some cake with her (but mine is the 28th March) it will have to be a late celebration haha ~
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I gave up candy and sweets. We will see how this goes with PMS hits!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I am giving up my daily piece of chocolate and am going to try to make it to the gym every day.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,032 Member
    Options
    Why would it be locked?

No one is saying anything offensive - we have had threads about Lent before and about Ramadan and about Hanukkah and Christmas and..........

Anyway, as per the last few years I am giving up chocolate - since I really
    Iove chocolate this is quite an exercise in self control for me.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I gave up eating take out... I have been really bad about going out for lunch everyday of the work week and then I am guessing on the calories. I am going to pack and eat only what I bring to work and see what happens
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yup. And OP, you know your sacrifice is supposed to be between you and your God, right? In fact, I believe that was in the reading yesterday in church.
  • Geekymonkey99
    Geekymonkey99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    In before the lock.

Yup. And OP, you know your sacrifice is supposed to be between you and your God, right? In fact, I believe that was in the reading yesterday in church.

My pastor also stressed that Lent is supposed to be kept secret. And he read the passage that said people who tell others have already received their reward. So it's interesting to me how often people will say, "Look at me! Look at what I'm giving up!"[
  • Almond_Brown98
    Almond_Brown98 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For Lent I decided to forego Facebook and Instagram, it's quite addictive in a good way and a bad way.

I have also decided to give up junk foods.
  • yaafee
    Options
    Doesn't your pastor also read the passages that state "those in glass house shalt not throw stones", and to "let he without sin be the first to judge?"

Just me on my soapbox, but I don't think you have the right to condemn the OP - let the girl reach out for accountability sake and let the other posters find support from the group. Agree or disagree on the spiritual meaning of the Lenten journey, but this Community feature is for building community not for breaking it down.

And if you want to criticize, go to Facebook or Pinterest where I won't be bothered by you for the next 40 days.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    yaafee wrote: »
    Doesn't your pastor also read the passages that state "those in glass house shalt not throw stones", and to "let he without sin be the first to judge?"

Just me on my soapbox, but I don't think you have the right to condemn the OP - let the girl reach out for accountability sake and let the other posters find support from the group. Agree or disagree on the spiritual meaning of the Lenten journey, but this Community feature is for building community not for breaking it down.

And if you want to criticize, go to Facebook or Pinterest where I won't be bothered by you for the next 40 days.

Bless your heart.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Instead of giving something up, I vowed to move my butt a minimum of 3 days a week. I'm hoping that it becomes a habit in 40 days lol and I know my grandpa is watching me :\
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Or you could just not comment on the thread if my comments annoy you so much. For what it's worth, Lent is something that is practiced and taught in the Catholic and Episcopalian churches. If you are not a member of those churches and are not practicing Lent the way it is meant to be practiced, you may as well call it a New Year's resolution. I mean, do you fast for Ramadan as well?
  • yaafee
    Options
    Or you could just not comment on the thread if my comments annoy you so much.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.
  • yaafee
    Options
    Actually, I truly appreciate the positive support I've found on a variety of threads over the years.

Perhaps those who post about the religious shortcomings of the OP or any of us who have replied are entitled to shame other and use the forum for snide judgement.

Personally, I don't see the need for their participation in the thread if they didn't believe that our support for each other was in line with their interpretations and beliefs.

My comment wasn't intended to challenge anyone's belief systems, practices, intentions, or relationship (or not) with God. It was simply a reminder that positivity is what these boards should be about - and I apologize that I was so adamant that it came across as the opposite.