Going over in Protein?

Options
I've always had to work to make sure I get enough protein but since I started using the food journal, I find myself staying within the calorie limits but going over in protein. I feel like I am eating a good mix of foods and wonder if anyone is in the same boat or knows if this is okay or not.

Replies

• kmbabywt
    kmbabywt Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've always had to work to make sure I get enough protein but since I started using the food journal, I find myself staying within the calorie limits but going over in protein. I feel like I am eating a good mix of foods and wonder if anyone is in the same boat or knows if this is okay or not.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,959 Member
    Options
    I also have that problem. I eat alot of soy, too, so that is part of it.

myfitnesspal has as its "default" TARGET allocations (for NET 1200 calories) the following:

Carbohydrates = 55% (or) Grams = 165g

Protein = 15% Grams = 45g

Fat = 30% Grams = 40g

Surprisingly many vegetables have a good amount of protein, which I learned just recently. Other food intake plans use differing percentage targets depending on the goal. (i.e., weight loss or gain, muscle gain, etc.)

You can customize your "Goals" from your homepage to allow more protein and less carbs or whatever you like.

cm
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Here's what I just read in "Women's Health" about protein, maybe it will help?

If you're "a permanent couch fixture" you should have about 48 grams a day, which is "an 8oz glass of skim milk, 1 and 1/4 cups of oatmeal and a serving of canned tuna"

If you're "working out regularly, up to 5 days a weeks you should have about 59 grams a day, which is "two cups of lowfat yogurt, half a cup of almonds and a 3 oz chicken breast."

If you're "training like an athlete 4 plus days a week" you need "about 94 grams" which is a cup of cottage cheese, a cup each of chickpeas and walnuts, and a 6 oz of lean beef".

So, if you're exercising and trying to build up some recovery strength, you can adjust the protein intake.

I find if I have enough protein, I don't have binge cravings. If I'm not eating enough protein, I binge on carbs and sugars. I have my protein set at 65 grams a day (and if I eat my almonds I go over) I workout six days, and live in a big city and don't own a car, so I walk a lot.
  • Chilli7777
    Chilli7777 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Have extra water if you're having a lot of protein to help your kidneys out
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    you can't really go over anything but calories any protein not used by the body will be converted to stored energy or used as energy just like the other calories in the other Macro's you consume
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,959 Member
    Options
    bahahaha. 2007 thread.

I'm super glad I didn't say anything too newbie-dumb. :lol:
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Nine years, this has to be a record!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I wonder if OP ever found out about protein ...