Exercise Tips??

Options
My most problem areas are Hips, Thighs and Bum, mostly the back of the hips, any tips on how to reduce them? Thanks :)

Replies

• You can't exactly spot train to lose fat. Losing fat is going to occur through your whole body during exercise. The best thing you could do is weights to tone up those areas
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    The honest answer is to lose weight. It will come off where it wants, it may take time but eventually even your trouble area will shrink. It is a myth that you can 'spot reduce' and target a specific area...unfortunately the weight will just come off where it wants to.

Reduce calories, lift weights and add some cardio. Be patient
  • sanxxcullxx
    Options
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I have huge thighs myself. I run and run and run, and that is always the last place the weight comes off! It does come off though :)
  • kk281
    kk281 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    One weight management philosophy that I go by is that muscle burns calories. Cardio burns more calories in the short term, but adding muscle (doesn't have to be hulk level muscles) burns more calories throughout the day. When your body is in an energy crisis, it taps into you fat stores in general, not necessarily the fat stores in the area you are currently working.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    kk281 wrote: »
    One weight management philosophy that I go by is that muscle burns calories. Cardio burns more calories in the short term, but adding muscle (doesn't have to be hulk level muscles) burns more calories throughout the day.

The effect (bolded) unfortunately is minimal. 2 cals / day / lb of fat vs. 6 cals / day / lb of muscle.
    Actually using those muscles (activity or exercise) completely dwarfs those numbers.
  • sanxxcullxx
    Options
    Exercise is totally new to me, with 3 kids and working 4 nights a week... (I work in a takeaway) which is my biggest problem. I know it's going to take a lot of work and willpower, but im determined to get back in shape :)
  • twb119
    Options
    Yeah, as the others said your body decides where the fat comes off.Eating right and a balance of cardio and resistance training will get you going.Do not be discouraged.Sometimes those problem areas disappear because of changes in other areas.Don't obsess on your"problem" areas.Notice the positives.The reality is everyone has areas they want to improve.I have a friend that I have worked out with for years.We laugh at how we wish we looked like we did ten years ago.But you know what?Her and I were probably more insecure about how we looked then, than we are now, even though we were in the best shape of our lives at the time.The key is we are both taking care of ourselves.
  • krknobbe10
    krknobbe10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    lift weights. I always try to burn out my thighs. Squats and lunges and step ups and Single leg squats all with weights. Lifting heavy these last three weeks has helped so much and my thighs are the smallest they have ever been.
  • sanxxcullxx
    Options
    Thanks for the advice :)
  • kk281
    kk281 Posts: 66 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The effect (bolded) unfortunately is minimal. 2 cals / day / lb of fat vs. 6 cals / day / lb of muscle.
    Actually using those muscles (activity or exercise) completely dwarfs those numbers.[/quote]

You have to exercise to gain the muscle. I'm not advocating to skip cardio and only lift, but too many people skip the lift and only do cardio. Prolonged periods of cardio can actually lead to the body to burn muscle for energy. This reduces the BMR and can be counter productive.

Both cardio and strength training are equally important. So building up muscle, then using it with ~20min cardio has a greater effect than only cardio.