Calories per meal?

Hello, everyone!

I'm new here and I wanted to know if there is a "calorie" limit per meal, if I do 1,200 calories a day, should it be divided between the five meals I take or is there another way to do it?

When is the best time to intake the most calories in a day?

Thank you!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Meal timing/frequency is a personal preference. You can eat it all in one meal if you choose to.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    No, eat it however you want, whenever you want. You could eat all 1200 before going to bed if you wanted and you'd lose weight.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    I like to consume my largest meal at dinner.
  • awholenewworld
    awholenewworld Posts: 61 Member
    My largest meal is dinner so I pre-log that and then I make choices about the rest of my meals and snacks based on those calories being taken off the table.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    edited February 2015
    My largest meal is dinner so I pre-log that and then I make choices about the rest of my meals and snacks based on those calories being taken off the table.

that is exactly what I do!! My whole day centers around what I am having for dinner! LOL!

• pattyinet
    pattyinet Posts: 2 Member
    What works for me, and recommended by my company nurse, is to limit my calories during the day with my low calorie snacks and meal replacements saving the most calories for when I fix dinner for my husband and myself so that I don't have to worry as much about what to fix for dinner.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    All personal preference. If you're starting out, try prelogging a day or 2, see how you feel with the way you spread things out.

I will always suggest that, if you're sticking with 1200 calories, to log things before you eat it! 1200 doesn't last long!
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Yup, meal timing has nothing to do with weight loss. I eat around 1400 calories and prefer three meals and two snacks--Usually my meals are slightly higher in calories than my snacks, and sometimes it's opposite! It doesn't really matter :)
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    I try to make all my meals about the same size to avoid getting really hungry in between.
  • KaryLoaiza88
    KaryLoaiza88 Posts: 106 Member
    Thank you very much for all your answers!!
  • whatyouwill
    whatyouwill Posts: 71 Member
    All preference.

I'm on a 2000 calorie diet (not net, just intake) and I eat something like this:

700cals Breakfast (6-8am)
    500cals Lunch (12-1pm)
    600cals Dinner (5-8pm)
    200cals Snack (Either between Lunch/Dinner or just before bed)

Works for me as I hate feeling hungry at work, hence the big breakfast.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    I don't have time in the mornings for breakfast, so I pretty much split my calories between lunch and dinner. But I typically try to do as small a lunch as possible (sometimes as little as a 90 cal fiber bar, when I know I'm going out to dinner or will be eating something high-calorie).