Anti depressents and weight loss- Is it do-able?????

Options
Hi there, I have just begun my weight loss journey 4 days ago. I am currently taking anti depressents and have been on them for the past 5 years. Over that time I have put on weight. Some sites will tell you that putting on weight can be a side effect. I would like to know if others have been able to lose weight while continuing to be an anti depressents.

Replies

• cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    I was on anti depressants after I had my son I was only on them for a short time because I was able to lose about 40lb in the 6 months I was using them it gave me the confidence and the pick me up I needed that i was able to stop taking them no weening off just complete stop, I found by logging on here and doing exercise I was making time for myself the main reason I was suffering from depression in the first place. put yourself in the mindset that the anti depression meds aren't going to beat you and you will do it x
  • chic_mama_25
    Options
    Hello! I am in the exact same situation - I have been taking citalopram (an SSRI) since June last year. First I was on 20mg a day which didn't have that many side effects but when it was increased to 40mg around October time I put on 21lbs between October and December!

Basically now I am trying to lose that 21lbs. I have lost 11 of them, the most recent 6lbs of which I did using MFP!

I think the problem with these meds is that they increase your appetite, rather than directly making you fat.

I was stuffing my face with 3000 calories a day and I didn't even realise till I started MFP.

I have decreased my dosage to 30mg (after I found out it was making me fat haha) and it took a month or so to adjust but now I am fine. I hope to come off them gradually this autumn.

Regardless of whether you feel you can start to come off them (exercise and eating healthy certainly helped me adjust to the lower dose), I can tell you that it is 100% possible to lose weight on antidepressants, I am doing it.

Please add me if you want and we can support each other.

Much love x
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Anti-depressants don't alter your metabolism, only your appetite. So it is perfectly possible to resist the food and lose weight.
  • Wassir
    Wassir Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm on anti-depressants myself, though I can't blame my weight gain on them. I wouldn't dump the meds without talking with your doctor.

Michael
  • nessasbutterflykisses
    Options
    Yes....on a anti depressent for anxitey issues...lost about 17 pounds...
  • DancingFox
    DancingFox Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those weird people who has actually lost weight on Prozac... I can actually tell if I don't take it for a few days, because my loss begins to slow down. It's odd, but, yes. I think what it all comes down to is that it completely depends on your body.
  • divadebz
    divadebz Posts: 31
    Options
    Thank you everybody. Firstly, I am not even considering coming off my meds and yes I have spoken to my doctor. Unfortunately, my medication (Venlivaxine) is the only one that works for me. I totally agree with the increased appitite and can tell you that I have also been responsible for my weight increase over those 5 years. So, it is probably a case that counting calories and monitoring food intake will give weight loss. I just wondered if anyone had found it harder being on meds.
  • divadebz
    Options
    Absolutely dancingfox, everyone is completely different. Some people on my meds have actually lost weight too. I guess its going to be a 'wait and see' situation.
  • divadebz
    Options
    Thanks Chic_mama for your encouragement. Great to hear such positive news. I have already lost 3.4kgs in 4 days since I started. So will continue on.