To lift or not to lift.

Options

Replies

• CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Withcyhoe wrote: »
    II'm lifting what I can do 3 sets of 15 and be burning a little when I hit 10/11 on that set.
    Any lifting is good, but that doesn't sound optimal. Why stop at 15? If your muscles fail completely at 15 on every set, you're doing great! However, if you can do even 1-2 more on any set, you'll progress faster if you increase the workload--add more weight or more reps.

I usually go lighter on my first set to warm up my muscles.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    To not lift is NEVER the answer.

Lifting and squats- 42 and ice cream are the answers to ALL of life's questions.

This.

• sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Withcyhoe wrote: »
    I've had the same question in my head. No only to lift or not to lift, but how much weight to lift? I'm lifting what I can do 3 sets of 15 and be burning a little when I hit 10/11 on that set. IDK if that's right or wrong....? Feels good :)

A good program will instruct you on number of sets and reps. Popular suggestions around here include Stronglifts and NROL4W.
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Do it! I've just started a few weeks ago but I'm already loving it. Read lots and learn from people that know what they're doing so you don't injure yourself. I like feeling like a badass, with things like kickboxing or basically anything with a shouty instructor telling me I'm a Spartan, so it suits me perfectly. Can't wait to squat a decent weight and get bootiful!
  • schmoys
    schmoys Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Derpes wrote: »
    Lift.....but if you are new, focus on form first and foremost.

I totally agree with this. If your form isn't correct, you won't be maximizing the benefits of the lift. I've been lifting for the past 9 months and it's the best thing I ever did. The weight came off easier and I can bring in all the groceries without getting winded :)
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

Lifting and squats- 42 and ice cream are the answers to ALL of life's questions.

Agreed.
  • slimmingqueen31
    slimmingqueen31 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I started lifting for the first ever time on 5th Jan, i have been eating relatively ok but never strict - the changes in my figure are mega and only 6 weeks on, add me if you want to see a before and after photo, i dont do any cardio only if its built into my kettlebells class, im doing 1 x strength and weight lifting on a sunday, 1x kettlebells class on a mon, and thurs and 1 swim during the week. I feel awesome and i would never have done lifting before - im doing it for every woman out there who doesnt think its enough but it really is.
  • sfreuben
    sfreuben Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here's what a study shows, weight training with calorie control leads to more FAT loss whilst maintains muscle/ increasing it.
    Ballor, D.L., Katch, V.L., Becque, M.D., Marks, C.R., American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 47(1): 19-25, 1988.7ytau2w94buu.jpg
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    vorgas wrote: »
    You should only lift if you want to improve your posture, bone density, balance, endurance, coordination, and confidence. If you dont want any of that, then stick with pure cardio.

Lol... this is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read here. Well that is exaggerating I guess... some of the stuff in the Lemon Cleanse thread might top it, but this is up there
  • mad_lifting_runner
    Options

This!

• jmacok
    jmacok Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    LIFT!!!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Most definitely lift!! :D
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you would ask others this question. If you think you should lift, then lift. If you think lifting will not help you, then don't.

That said, lifting can never be bad for you, unless you are injured or have a codnition preventing it. Cardio can never be bad for you either, unless you have a health condition or injury. Both lead to being more fit and healthy.

What is your goal? That is what will help you answer this question.
  • ninjasmith1986
    ninjasmith1986 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

THHIIIISSS and only this!!!! Thank you!

• ninjasmith1986
    ninjasmith1986 Posts: 35 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Lifting weights builds muscle. When have more muscle you burn more calories even at rest. When you build muscle/strength you have more energy to do the hardcore workouts you want to do in order to reach the fitness goals you have. Do both.
    Muscles are what gives you the lean look that I'm pretty sure most people want to attain...or maybe you just want to be strong with out caring about aesthetics. Whatever....besides, your body will follow suit, it is going to take shape when you train with intensity and purpose. Focus :smile:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    You should only lift if you want to improve your posture, bone density, balance, endurance, coordination, and confidence. If you dont want any of that, then stick with pure cardio.

Lol... this is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read here. Well that is exaggerating I guess... some of the stuff in the Lemon Cleanse thread might top it, but this is up there
    read it again, it's funny.
  • aquamarina_182
    aquamarina_182 Posts: 119 Member
    Options

This!

yes...ice cream is forever the answer...alongside the lifting and squats of course. :smiley:
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

I am so bummed that thread was closed. It was full of WIN!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

I am so bummed that thread was closed. It was full of WIN!
    No, I mean vorgas's comment. I thought it was funny. Granted, a bit derisive to pure cardio, but supportable to a greater or lesser degree.
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Another vote for lifting.

And the pb goes WITH the ice cream! What a beautiful marriage...