Apparently not high enough of a calorie intake? But Im not h

Options
Hello Everyone!

My name is Holly and @ last weigh in I was 296.2 (starting weight 307).

Any who, here is my problem.
I have worked nights for 10 years, recently moving to a day position....so Im eating like a normal human being...

I have been making smart food choices, and am full. However, it seems to be per mfp that I'm not taking in enough calories.

How to I get more calories in if Im NOT hungry?
BTW, Im drinking my daily water requirements, and excercise atleast four days a week.

Thanks guys.

Replies

• Autumn1206
    Autumn1206 Posts: 126
    Options
    I'm having the same problem, and I got a good suggestion from another thread - start adding some higher calorie cooking aids in like butter and oil and that will help you meet your calories. also nuts are pleasantly high in calories, and you don't really have to eat too many of them to add 100-200 calories to your day. Isn't it funny how, at first you look at the number that MFP gives you and think "really? that's it?" and then suddenly, you can't keep with how many calories you should eat? That was my experience anyway.
  • bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    you just have to eat. sometimes i eat when im not "hungry" because i know i have to.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Hey girl ...

Nuts... Peanut Butter .... Full fat dairy ...
    and have a treat every now and then :)

The more calories you eat when you lose... the more calories you can eat to maintain ... which will be for the rest of your life!
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem every now and again...I just try to have a higher calorie breakfast and that seems to help.
  • SweetP88
    SweetP88 Posts: 79
    Options
    When I got to maintenance I found it hard to fill my calorie requirements.....start eating regular sour cream/yogurt etc. instead of low calorie/low fat. I have switched some of those things over and found a nice balance!!
  • Shawna1080
    Shawna1080 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I find that it helps to do your workout in the morning as well so you can plan for the extra calories you need to consume throughout the day. When I am forced to do my workout in the evening I can almost never eat all the calories I am supposed to. Much easier to know at the start that I have an extra 300 to work with rather than at bedtime going..... crap.. another 300.... LOL

I know when I started however, I was having trouble hitting the 1200 because I was TOO conscience of the number and would make sure that I stayed below. Typically resulting in me only eating 900-1000 a day. When I raised it to 1300 I became less conscience and typically get much closer to the actual calories I need to eat for the day. Hope that helps! Keep up the good work and GOOD LUCK on your JOURNEY!!
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    I highly suggest listening to your body, and only eating when you're hungry. Don't deliberately try to limit calories (it doesn't sound like you are)... just pause and listen to yourself, and see whether or not you truly want to eat something. You don't HAVE to eat a certain number of calories every single day... just be sensible. Today, I ate breakfast at 10:15, didn't really have lunch, then had a bigger dinner, and got in several miles of walking. Though every health website would have you believe that 3 meals a day plus umpteen snacks is the way to go... just try to develop your sense of true hunger again. It's the best ever. It's taken me a long time to figure it out again, but it's helpful.
  • sharonus
    sharonus Posts: 102
    Options
    If I have them, I use some of my extra calories for a treat. One day I was worried because I was way under. I had two truffles and two handfuls of peanuts and used them all up! It was good because I didn't feel like I was depriving myself of treats. It also made me realize how quickly calories can add up if I'm not paying attention!
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    This is a good problem to have, but a problem none the less.

I like what someone above me said about having a large breakfast. Not only will a large breakfast get you a lot of calories in the morning, but it will jump start your metabolism for the day. Try oatmeal with bananas and walnuts or peanut butter. Drink some orange juice. Have fruit on the side. Make an egg. It's the most important meal of the day, so you don't want to skimp on it. You may notice that you get hungry more often (which is great!), and as long as you're feeding yourself whole foods, you will continue to lose weight.

Congratulations on your weight loss! Keep up the great work!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Some good info here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/231636-the-eating-when-you-re-not-hungry-dilemma

Planning is key. If you know you'll be working out, increase cals throughout the day. Just 50 cals more for each meal/snack adds up. Also, a snack after your workout is helpful, even if it's small (and late). My workouts are often later in the evening (8 or 9) and I almost always have a snack afterwards; usually yogurt and fruit or cottage cheese, and nuts, as they are light and don't make me feel stuffed. Some people like to have a protein shake or peanut butter, etc.

If you're not feeling hungry, a good way to increase cals without much volume is healthy fats from natural oils (olive/canola), nuts (almonds, pistachios, walnuts), and avocados. Also, I would stay away from "low cal" or "low fat" options - partly because you want to increase cals, and partly because those foods are usually processed and not nutrient dense, and the cals or fat they take out is replaced by sugar (real or substitute) and sodium. A fruit smoothie, protein shake or chocolate milk are good cal boosters, because drinking cals can be easier than eating when you aren't feeling hungry. And as others suggested, go for higher fat dairy.

Typically, it may be hard for a few days or a week, but your body will adjust to the increased intake, your metabolism will increase (with your appetite) and you'll find it isn't an issue for long.
  • busygirl1
    busygirl1 Posts: 217
    Options
    I highly suggest listening to your body, and only eating when you're hungry. Don't deliberately try to limit calories (it doesn't sound like you are)... just pause and listen to yourself, and see whether or not you truly want to eat something. You don't HAVE to eat a certain number of calories every single day... just be sensible. Today, I ate breakfast at 10:15, didn't really have lunch, then had a bigger dinner, and got in several miles of walking. Though every health website would have you believe that 3 meals a day plus umpteen snacks is the way to go... just try to develop your sense of true hunger again. It's the best ever. It's taken me a long time to figure it out again, but it's helpful.

I agree, I think its best to listen to your body and eat when hungry. I don't cram in food that don't want just to hit a number, I think that its counter productive. A big part of a lot of peoples problem is eating for other reasons than hunger, so long as you are not going below 1200 net regularly I wouldn't worry.
  • canaussie
    canaussie Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Nuts, Avocado, and if you are eating everything fat free, then make it full fat or reduced fat.
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    what are you drinking apart from water? I like to drink herbal teas only 4 calories per cup but get through loads a day as well as 8 glasses of water
  • GothicsDarkAngel
    GothicsDarkAngel Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thank YOU for all of the responses.

Im not eating low fat/fat free...just healthier and on a regular schedule.

Im really working hard on not eating late anymore, like nothing past 6 or 7.
    I am still of the mind set (correct me if I'm wrong please) that If I eat later (just to get calories in) especially after a work out, and I go to bed, Im afraid what I eat will turn into fat because I'm not awake. Sorry if that makes no sense :)

Apart from water I am still drinking coffee, and loose leaf teas. But I have to admit, mostly water now, as I have seriously cut back on my coffee consumption.

Thanks Again Guys!

~and as an aside I weighed myself today and am down a pound. \o/ yeshhhhhhhhhhhhh~
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Thank YOU for all of the responses.

Im not eating low fat/fat free...just healthier and on a regular schedule.

Im really working hard on not eating late anymore, like nothing past 6 or 7.
    I am still of the mind set (correct me if I'm wrong please) that If I eat later (just to get calories in) especially after a work out, and I go to bed, Im afraid what I eat will turn into fat because I'm not awake. Sorry if that makes no sense :)

Apart from water I am still drinking coffee, and loose leaf teas. But I have to admit, mostly water now, as I have seriously cut back on my coffee consumption.

Thanks Again Guys!

~and as an aside I weighed myself today and am down a pound. \o/ yeshhhhhhhhhhhhh~

There is no credible evidence I've seen (and I've looked) that eating late has any effect on weight loss. If you are eating healthy foods and staying within your cal goals, food eaten at 10 pm doesn't just magically turn into fat. I usually work out at 9 or 10 pm and have a snack afterwards - hasn't hindered me a bit. And I know a LOT of other people that do the same. The only issues with eating late are that it can cause some people issues with sleeping; and a lot of the time, when people are becoming overweight, they are snacking late at night on unhealthy foods. The point there, though, is unhealthy foods and too much of them. So no, I don't believe there is any reason to avoid eating late. :flowerforyou: