Doing it properly this time (UK)

Options
Morning all!

I'm Pete, I'm 31 and I live in Coventry in the UK. I've been a big bloke all my life, reaching what I thought would be my peak when I was 17 and weighed 18.5st (259lb). At that point I decided to do something about it and I managed to lose 4.5st (63lb) through purely exercise. However, at my thinnest I don't think I looked too healthy and I could count all my ribs

- Me at my skinniest (196lb) early 1999
7301164_3079.jpg

- I think I looked my best the summer before at 16st (220lb)
7301164_2346.jpg

After I lost all the weight I got fully stuck into the student lifestyle, and the weight started piling back on with interest. 12 years later, after years of bad food choices and desk jobs, I find myself weighing in at a terrifying 26st (364lb), and it's time to make a change. I realise that this time, exercise alone won't do the trick, so I decided to try MFP.

Even after just 5 days, I'm thinking twice about what I eat, I'm logging everything that passes my lips, and I'm raring to do exercise. Also, because I'm being careful about how much I eat, I'm not feeling full all the time, so I'm a lot less lethargic.

I realise that this is going to be a long road to travel, and that a target of 144lb loss is a big one, but I'm confident and determined that I can do it this time, and if any of you have any good tips, please let me know.

Cheers
Pete

PS, here are my first 'before' photos.

7301164_2782.jpg

7301164_6174.jpg

Replies

• Fr4z
    Fr4z Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Best of luck chief! been yo-yoing with the weight myself hence that's why I am on here too.
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS on taking the first step!! I myself will have lost 114lbs when all is said in done...I have 19 to go!!! It is a long road but know that you CAN do it!! Good luck to you!
  • jpooley1988
    jpooley1988 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Good luck! :) I've been yo-yo ing for years too!!!!

Just take it slowly but surely! Thats what I plan to do this time! No crash diets anymore for me! :)
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    Good luck Chief
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    good luck & remember if it was easy everyone would be doing it!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome Pete! Sounds like you're doing all the right things. Mind me asking how tall you are?
  • hairypete1138
    hairypete1138 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments everyone.
    BerryH - I'm 5'10"
  • ndmckeown
    ndmckeown Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Good for you!

I'm in the same boat, I lost nearly 4 stone back in Uni, then hit my final year and, with stress and studying I put it all back on and some more!

Years (more than I would like), and several attempts later and I'm trying to get going again.

Feel free to add me.
  • Zuznana
    Zuznana Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. Good luck in your lifestyle change, you can do it. Just don't be too hard on yourself and remember this is not dieting. If you don't diet, you can not fail your diet. :smile:
  • owengem
    owengem Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hi there.
    You will get a great support system on here.
    Good luck. Even small lifestyle changes all add together to show big changes on the scale x
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Best of luck. I am from Hertfordshire, and looking to lose about 82lbs. Have gotten rid of 14.5 of them so far.

Feel free to friend me - I find the support on here is just amazing, and wonder if I would have fallen off the wagon without it so far!
  • XLMKX
    XLMKX Posts: 86
    Options
    I'm from Cov too!!!!

Good luck!!

xx
  • jpooley1988
    jpooley1988 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    good luck & remember if it was easy everyone would be doing it!

I love this comment :)