getting back into swimming

Options
hiya

looking for advice on the above.

not been swimmiong - exercise wise for about 6yrs :-( and was wondering how many lengths i should aim for to get a goood exercise from it

xx

Replies

• Jaynequ
    Jaynequ Posts: 39
    Options
    Can you swim well already? I mean a reasonable front crawl face in the water? If so start with 10 and work up.

If you are more of a breast stroke head sticking up, make it less.

Try not to stop too often, you would not stop every minute if you were out running, or on the cross trainer.

Try and do a variety of strokes to exercise all your muscles.

Good luck, see you in the pool!
  • lucysmommy
    lucysmommy Posts: 460
    Options
    great thanks

so is that 10lengths in total?

roughly how many cals will be gone?
  • Fr4z
    Fr4z Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    depends on the lenght of the pool but 10 on a 25m will give you 250. If you build up gradually each weel and mix you strokes up as already mentioned you will gain greater benefit. :smile:
  • Fr4z
    Fr4z Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    sorry my typing is rubbish 'each week' and not 'each weel' ha-ha
  • wolsteem
    wolsteem Posts: 17
    Options
    When I started back to swimming I opted for a time not total lengths, so say you aim for 10 or 15min continuous swimming and then up the amount of time you do as you get back into it. Also you could enter the swim time in the exercise database and it will give cals burned. Good luck.
  • lucysmommy
    lucysmommy Posts: 460
    Options
    great thank you all for your replies

i am just looking to have a few days off from the running and of course have a jacuzzi after it lol
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I just started swimming, I do 10 laps now, started at barely able to do 5! I am amazed at the difference already - no weight lost but I've already lost an inch all over! It feels great!

I am a poor swimmer though, I think I make the lifeguard nervous! :laugh: