• Maverick60
    Maverick60 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Lift.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Withcyhoe wrote:
    I've had the same question in my head. No only to lift or not to lift, but how much weight to lift? I'm lifting what I can do 3 sets of 15 and be burning a little when I hit 10/11 on that set. IDK if that's right or wrong?
    Here's a post I did about exercise.

It says in relevant part:
    You need to know the maximum amount you can lift, called the one-repetition maximum or 1RM.

For building muscle, you want to do 1 or 2 sets of 8-12 repetitions of a weight that's 70-85% of your 1RM.
    For building endurance, do 1 or 2 sets of 15-20 repetitions of a weight that's 50-65% of your 1RM.

Either way, start low on both weight & reps and work up.
    You should just be able to do the last 2-3 reps.
    When it gets easy to do the maximum # of reps, add 5 pounds and go back to the minimum # of reps.

(From the American College of Sports Medicine's book "Resources for the Personal Trainer, 4th edition".)

Remember to work both sides of a joint (or the body) - if you're doing bicep curls, also do tricep extensions or dips. If you're doing quadricep extensions, also do hamstring curls. If you're doing abdominal curls, also do lower back extensions.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    vorgas wrote:
    You should only lift if you want to improve your posture, bone density, balance, endurance, coordination, and confidence. If you don't want any of that, then stick with pure cardio.
    glevinso wrote:
    this is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read here. Well that is exaggerating I guess... some of the stuff in the Lemon Cleanse thread might top it, but this is up there
    Why? Everything vorgas said is completely true (except perhaps endurance, that's more associated with cardio).
  • amongstthewildflowers
    Options
    Lift!!!!!
  • MKEgal
    Options
    BTW, definitely lift weights. At worst, you will maintain muscle, which is important.
    Here's an article talking about comparing people who only did aerobics to people who only did weightlifting (they ate the same calories).
    Maximum oxygen consumption increased significantly but equally in both groups.
    Body weight decreased significantly more in the aerobic group than the weightlifting group.
    The aerobic group lost a significant amount of lean body weight (51 to 47 kg). No decrease in lean body weight was observed in the weightlifting group.
    In addition, the weightlifting group had an increase in resting metabolic rate. The 24 hour resting metabolic rate decreased in the aerobic group.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    ninja wrote:
    When you have more muscle you burn more calories even at rest
    True, but it's not as big a change as most people seem to think. (And it's hard to gain muscle.)
    Fat burns 2 cal/lb/day, muscle burns 6.
    Here's a blog post discussing this, with links to articles & quotes from very knowledgable people.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    vorgas wrote:
    You should only lift if you want to improve your posture, bone density, balance, endurance, coordination, and confidence. If you don't want any of that, then stick with pure cardio.
    glevinso wrote:
    this is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read here. Well that is exaggerating I guess... some of the stuff in the Lemon Cleanse thread might top it, but this is up there
    Why? Everything vorgas said is completely true (except perhaps endurance, that's more associated with cardio).

I take issue with the "this is the only way to get these things". Also the clearly wrong "endurance" aspect.

You don't *need* to lift to improve those things. In fact, I am going to have to pull out the much-loved chestnut here and say that is an extraordinary claim that requires extraordinary evidence. Specifically I now need to see a study that shows that the only way to improve those things is through lifting.

I am not arguing that lifting helps improve those things. Rather that it is the only way.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    LIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    SkipDead wrote: »
    Should someone lift while they're trying to lose weight or should they worry about toning and the likes after they've reached their goal.

"Toning" in essence is a product of stripping away fat to reveal the muscle underneath. This is accomplished by exercising (lifting and cardio) and maintaining a negative energy balance... So to answer your question, yes to lifting.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    vorgas wrote:

I take issue with the "this is the only way to get these things".

He didn't say that. Semantically, "You should only take TYLENOL if you want to REDUCE A FEVER." does not mean "TYLENOL is the only way to REDUCE A FEVER." He does claims pure cardio won't reap those benefits--obvious for posture, dubious for endurance.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    vorgas wrote:

I take issue with the "this is the only way to get these things".

He didn't say that. Semantically, "You should only take TYLENOL if you want to REDUCE A FEVER." does not mean "TYLENOL is the only way to REDUCE A FEVER." He does claims pure cardio won't reap those benefits--obvious for some, debatable for others.

You contradict yourself. He claims cardio wont reap those benefits. I disagree completely with that assertion, and would like to see data regarding that. He also says if you want those benefits you *must* lift.

• CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    glevinso wrote:
    You contradict yourself.
    Nope. You claimed vorgas said strength training "is the only way to get these things". I pointed out he only claimed strength training attains these and pure cardio does not.
    He also says if you want those benefits you *must* lift.
    Not in this thread.

I agree lifting is clearly not the only way--e.g., bodyweight exercises. A push-up and a bench press have a great deal in common though not precisely the same.

• AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    vorgas wrote: »
    You should only lift if you want to improve your posture, bone density, balance, endurance, coordination, and confidence. If you dont want any of that, then stick with pure cardio.

Lol... this is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read here. Well that is exaggerating I guess... some of the stuff in the Lemon Cleanse thread might top it, but this is up there

94f0cb21bd56b93e42b4e712200eced6.jpg

• punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    vorgas wrote: »
    You should only lift if you want to improve your posture, bone density, balance, endurance, coordination, and confidence. If you dont want any of that, then stick with pure cardio.

Lol... this is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read here. Well that is exaggerating I guess... some of the stuff in the Lemon Cleanse thread might top it, but this is up there

I'm not sure we're reading the same words. Vorgas is pretty spot on.